View Single Post
Old 5th June 2011, 10:50 PM
Alexandra

Smile Re: plantar fibromas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No cure that I know of. :-( Having had 2 surgeries in '92 & '94 on my right foot to remove 2 lumps, more have grown back replacing the others. A year ago, my left foot grew one in the same spot, the arch & Kaiser shot me with steroids, which made it grow from pea-size to baseball size within one year. They refused to do the surgery, saying it's too life threatening & I could end up paralyzed, etc., so I went to the Foot & Ankel Institute for a consultation & they said it's NOT life threatening, nor will I end up paralyzed (even I knew that) & they could do each surgical procedure for $3800+. I have 4 problems (1 bunion & pf lumps pr/foot), so you do the math. This is a painful & crushing problem to live with as I can't fit women's shoes anymore, barely fit mens & can't get an ofc job wearing men's boots. Needless to say, I don't have a man/bf either; it's ruining my life. Despite this painful hindrance, hiking is still my fav hobby. Not sure if being active all my life has anything to do with this or if it's just hereditary, as my grandmother had them too. What to do, what to do...
Mine is going away. I find that it goes away if I wear shoes that don't irritate it. I found that Aravon shoes for women have a removable footbed. If you take that out, you can figure out where your bump is, then from the bottom, using a hot knife (heated on top of the stove) I cut out a corresponding amount of the rubber sole, leaving the top surface intact. Does that make sense. It looks fine from the top but the rubber underneath has been cut out in a circle so that there is no pressure on the bump. It totally works and looks okay. I also went to a massage person who pushed really hard on it and it seemed to be much better after that. It's now a sort of thin flat bump and I really think it's going to be gone in another 6 months. It was pretty big before, and I could hardly walk. So don't give up hope. Find a nice think rubber sole insert for your hiking boots and get a pointy knife really hot, use an exhaust fan, and cut away. To locate where to cut, put something on the bump and press on the sole in exactly the right place that it will be when you have the shoe on. Then take a sewing needle and push it through to the other side. That's the middle of your circle to cut out. Good luck.