1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Blood Clot in leg after 5th metatarsal fracture?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by speaknow, Apr 22, 2013.

1. speaknow

speaknow New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello. I would first off like to say that I am just looking for other people's opinions on my issue because I am getting mixed advice from my doctors.
    I am 20 years old and about a week and a half ago I fell and acquired a 5th metatarsal fracture, according to one doctor, specifically an Avulsion fracture. That same day, while my foot was swollen, I went to my podiatrist to get some x-rays done, and that's when he found the fracture and immediately put me in a cast with crutches, non-weight bearing. Considering I live on a large college campus, I had to walk around, quite a bit, on the crutches to get from class to class and five days after falling, I started experiencing pain in my calf. I am usually one to handle pain well, but this time it was unbearable. I went to the ER, and they said my cast was probably too tight. So they took it off and splinted me instead. It felt the pain easing when the cast was taken off, so I didn't think much of it. The the pain in my calves returned and all that would help was Extra Strength Tylenol. So I went back to the ER two days later and insisted that they check my calves for any blood clots. The doctor was hesitant but agreed to my sonogram, even though she doubted I had any blood clots. My calves looked fine, and my pulse and circulation seemed okay. With the sonogram, it was found that I indeed had DVT below my knees. So they put my on lovenox injections for 4 days after which I would have to take coumadin. Four days following my first lovenox injection, I had to check my blood levels for the correct dose of coumadin. That day is today, and to get my blood tested, I went to a new doctor that immediately gives results in her lab. She was surprised to see someone as young as me on coumadin because she doesn't believe how I could've gotten a blood clot from my injury. After testing my blood and increasing my coumadin dosage, she scheduled me for an appointment to have my calves checked once more for any blood clots, just in case.
    I was just wondering, is it possible that the first sonogram could've shown an error and that I don't actually have any blood clots? My next sonogram is scheduled 6 days from today and I am worried because I am getting different opinions from different doctors, and I don't want to have to take such a powerful medication if I don't in fact need it. I don't want things to get worse. Has anyone had an experience like this where they were told they have a blood clot but it turned out to be nothing? I really would appreciate some input. Thanks a lot!

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Super Moderator

It is possible. However, there is a very low false positive rate for a sonogram for this, so it is unlikely.
    However, given your age and that you are actively moving around, I am a little surprised that you even got one to start with!
    The medication is not really going to do any harm as at this stage it is only a short term thing, so you better off staying on it. Even if you did not have a clot, no harm will be done and it is better to be safe than sorry.