1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

topaz surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    I had the Topaz surgery appx. 10 years ago. It was a breeze! I have had no further problems and am so thankful that I found a Podiatrist who did the procedure. I would recommend it to EVERYBODY who suffers with Plantar Fasciitis.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi i just had my topazz surgery on the 9april my feet r still really sore and still having to walk with crutches feek ur pain just hope it gets better

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had surgery the end of march...topaz surgery for my RT foot. I was placed in a hard cast for 2 weeks and then a boot for 1.5 weeks. I am now back in atheltic shoes with my orthotic. I wear a night splint to keep the fascia stretched. I was a triathlete and ultramarathon running. I am also in my 20's. I was in so much pain for so long and wanted to do anything to fix it.
    The first 5 days were painful just sitting and then it got better everyday. Each day I continue to get better. I was very scared that it did not work. I cycle and swim now. So i have my athletics back...minus the running. I see the doctor this week and hopefully will get released to go back to work. I have a demanding physical job.
    Bottom line.....its worth it!

4. Uhrc

Uhrc Guest

I had it done in November '12. So far it has not lessened the pain. My heel is very sore throughout the day. I also have a bone spur in the same foot. I even did Airosty deep tissue massage and it helped at first but the pain settled in again after several treatments. I've even tried new balance insoles that are very thick , and even bored a hole in the heel portion so the heel doesn't touch the shoe when walking. Now I ice it every night, and massage the foot myself. I all have a numbness along the outside of my foot due to the surgery. I am a contractor and I Amon my feet 8 hours a day or more. I hope this info helps someone.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my Topaz done this past Monday, it is now Friday, and my only complaint is that my calf in the affected leg is sore, probably from trying to compensate for the soreness in my heel the first day. I have to say, that I am already mostly pain free! I am so happy I did this, and sorry I waited so long to do so.

If you are thinking about doing this, I suggest you go to a podiatrist who specializes in this kind of treatment. It took about 10 minutes, and I was walking the next day with minimal pain on the day of surgery!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the topaz surgery yesterday after 8 months of PF pain. As a triathlete I have been going crazy, not being able to run at all. I've tried physical therapy, insoles, ESWT and had 2 cortisone injections - with no effect at all.
    Anyway, I only had local anesthetic, and felt absolutely no pain what so ever. The procedure took about 15 minutes - after which I walked (carefully) out of there and went home.
    I'm a little sore but not in pain at all. I keep my foot high and work from home (my couch!) for a few days and feel just fine. No cast, crutches or splinter.
    I can't say yet weather my PF is healed or not - but I'm crossing every limb crossable ;-)

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can a home recommend a doctor n Connecticut or Massachusetts who performs the topaz surgery for PF. I have googled and can't find one.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: topaz surgery recovery

I had the Topaz procedure done 9 days ago.
    I am shocked to read some of the replies about recovery time and pain after the procedure.
    I have a high tolerance for pain, but I find myself being pretty miserable. I had a bandage placed right after surgery and then went in 3 days later to have the bandage removed and have an ace wrap and a huge walking ROM CAM walker boot currently.
    However, my Dr. Follows the instructions that are on the Topaz Information page that includes complete non-weight bearing for 3 weeks using crutches followed by an additional several weeks in a walking boot ( I had to ask for mine early because they weren't going to give me anything except this stupid shoe).
    I couldn't imagine even taking a few steps on my foot. The slightest movement causes an electric shock feeling in my foot. I do all right during the day but at night it's terrible and keeps me awake.
    I am very hopeful that this surgery is going to work. My doctor has had much success with this procedure and I'm confident that I am following the right steps towards recovery.
    It's clear that some Dr's follow a different recovery approach than what is directed.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my topaz done This past Monday July 28th. In michigan performed by doctor Jennifer Gertesien from Dr kane and associates in westland mich. The surgery was done at oakwood wayne hospital. I can honestly say besides some slight discomfort here and there I am extremely pleased and pain free and it's Saturday 6 days after in a cam boot. I will be going total of 3 weeks non weight bearing I have a little knee scooter which is a God send and crutches that I hardly use. Week 4 I will start with a little walking and progress from there. So far so good knock on wood. She is a great doctor who actually cares about people not just a paycheck.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just had this procedure done yesterday, Sept 25th, after suffering with PF for almost 21 months. I had done the stretching exercises, icing, rolling my foot on a tennis ball and frozen water bottle, ultra sound, physical therapy, custom orthotics, had cortisone shots, and stayed in sneakers with arch support for 4 months... nothing worked. I'm shocked that at the 24hr mark, I've felt no pain. Haven't had to use my Vicodin prescription or even any Tylenol. I walk with crutches and stay off my feet as much as possible, which is hard with an active 3yo son. I had mac anesthesia for the quick procedure so I mostly slept through it but maintained my own airway. Very quick and easy post-op recovery. I was able to leave 1 hr after it was done. I go for my check-up with the podiatrist on Monday morning at which time I get a boot to wear for 10 days. Of course, my luck this happened on my right foot, so how will I be able to drive?? Anyone have this done and had to wear a boot that can tell me how long it took for them to be able to drive and walk without the aid of crutches??

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Update to the above... I am in an air cam walker boot since yesterday. No need for crutches. Much easier to walk and maneuver. Dr said after 10 days in the boot, I have 30 days in sneakers and then will need some light physical therapy.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I just have a question for anyone that has had the procedure.. I just had both my feet done this morning, and I'm just wondering about how long until the numbness wears off from the heels? I had local anesthetic because they couldn't find a vein that would cooperate to knock me out - so which leads me to maybe find out how long the numbness might last?

Thank you.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This thread is a little old so I'm not sure if the last poster is still reading. You got both heels done at once? I have Achilles Tendonosis in both heels due to bone spurs. I'm having my left heel done next Thursday with the Topaz procedure. How long did it take you to recover with both heels done at once? How did you manage?

14. Mona

Mona Guest

15. Mona

Mona Guest

I have been dealing with PF for 2+years to the point where it had nearly disabled me. I had tried all the conservative conservative treatments that you previously mention as well with no relief. I finally found a Dr that would preform he Topaz procedure. This is post op day 2. I had gotten to the point that my pain was nearly 24/7 and I was unable to do most activities. I am pleased so far as I have no pain at rest and only minimal discomfort when I am up to the restroom although I am not allowed to bear weight yet. I have been lying down with my foot elevated and ice packs 5x daily. I would encourage anyone who is having this level of discomfort to find a qualified dr near you and proceed with this surgery.

16. Eaterofbords

Eaterofbords Guest

Had the Topaz done on the Dec 17th (today is the 19th), no cast, just a shoelike thing..Mine was on the extreme end with a large developed spur. Was told this wouldn't be painful...but wow, couldn't be anymore wrong. I guess it's different for everyone, but damn. I'm keeping hopes up...feels like when my PF was at it's worse at the moment.

17. BDR

BDR Guest

18. BDR

BDR Guest

I had the Topaz surgery done about 6 months ago. While I no longer have P/F pain in my left heel, there have been a number of very painful side effects. I have never had any foot problems (except for the P/F) at all, then all of a sudden there are numerous issues with only the foot that was "Topazed". These incluse: Brusing, stress fractures, swelling, extreme joint pain & intense pain in random areas of the foot. Of course, if you put 3 doctors in the room, you'll get 5 different opinions. None can or will admit that there is any connection, but I don't believe in coincidences. I see thru online seacrches that other patients have experienced similar side effects. Also, I was never advised of any of these side effects. Only told of "possible" site infection.
    Hope this helps you decide and make sure you are asking questions BEFORE the surgery.

19. SONAL RAO

SONAL RAO New Member

Hi,

I am suffering from Plantar fasciitis since last 2 years . My left foot pain is very acute then the right foot. I have been suggested to do a Topaz treatment followed by a PRP on both legs together. I see from the thread few have been successfully recovered and few have had a very bad result after the treatment . Is there anyone latest who has done these treatments and has been successful.
    My dr has said no casting but he will only give me flat footed sandals which I have to wear for 6 weeks . After this I can wear normal shoes or sandals with orthotics.

Please someone guide on this ..

20. Hello there!!! anyone else still on this thread?? 4 years later?? I am thinking about getting this procedure... conservative methods, like PT, icing and stretching didn't do the trick for my injury... Anyone have definitive thoughts?? it seems to be about 50/50 - do it , don't do it... I'm torn!!!