1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big Toe Pain When Stretching Leg and Foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dmanx

Dmanx Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have exactly the same as you. I hadnt ever noticed the pain when I touched a couple of inches back on my foot until I read your post. I have just tried this and bingo, I almost lept off my chair with the pain. How very strange. I dont think I wear my shoes too tight but will check the next time I tie them.

Wish it would go off. Its a real pain !

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I won't repeat what eveyone elses experiences have been, mine have been the same with difficulty putting pants on or any stretching of foot as it causes temendous pain. Here is the kicker for me...it started in Aug of 2011 with the foot pain then one months ago I got the same pain in my hand...the exact same pain. You all know it is a unmistakable pain.

No question time to see the doctor and get this under control...I thought it a
    was just a pull or a tear... I will keep you informed on any useful info I get

3. JCV

JCV New Member

I just found this forum while desperately searching for solutions to my toe pain. All you guys are describing my toe pain exactly. When I stretch my left foot I get a searing pain on the top of the toe. It started over a month ago and so far it is not getting better. I have had many sciatica nerve pains thru the years but this toe sharp pain if I stretch the foot is a new experience. I am considering going to a podiatrist or orthopedic but I am not so sure they will be able to fix it.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same thing - a ripping burning shooting pain up the top of my big toe when I stretched out my leg and foot. It was preventing me from swimming and made it difficult to put on some jeans and boots.
    ANYWAY - it's fixed now! I had some joints out of place in my foot and ankle and some chiropractic adjustments fixed it. It took 3 visits. Nerves were getting pinched or something because of the dislocations. Massage in the leg on that side helped, but didn't fix it.
    I hope this works for some of you other people.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well, I am happy to report (well, happy for me), that my pain is totally gone, and even the numbness in the top of my big toes is going away and I have feeling back. So basically, it looks like I healed. Here is the things I did, but who knows what helped (if any).

1. Stopped tightening my skates so tight. I'm sure that helped.
    2. Massaged and stretched my foot. Basically I would point my toes so I got the pain, and then massage the area on the instep that caused pain when I pressed on it. My strategy here was to "stretch" and un-pinch any nerve bundle under there that may be causing the problem. Seemed that by doing this, I could point my toes further and harder every day before I got the same amount of searing pain, so I think this helped.
    3. Started making my own Turmeric/Black Pepper capsules and taking one a day. Heard this really helps with inflammation.

Anyway, almost totally back to normal for me. Hope it stats this way. And I hope all of you can find some relief!!!

Mark

6. jp1

jp1 Guest

Was interested to see this forum as I have just recently started getting a shooting pain on the outside of my right big toe 1/3 of way up foot. This started a few weeks ago and the only thing that has changed is that I have been doing a lot more running. I have stopped for a couple of weeks to see if that helps but it does not seem to be :-(

I only get the pain when I point my toes as in when you put trousers on but can also bring on the pain by pushing on the side of foot.

What would anyone recommend I should do?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear doc,

Is there a solution to this problem? I am also facing the same pain exactly the same way as #17: "At first the only time this would occur would be when I stretched my foot and pointed my toes out. Immediately a very sharp pain runs from just below the nail to the base of the big toe and continues until I stop stretching. This pain does not run down the center of my toe, but rather to the far right. It has gradually begun to be sensitive to the touch on top of the toe to the right, if touched just the right way. "

Thanks in advance

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

See a podiatrist. I have the same right toe issue, heat and especially stretching have provided immediate partial relief, but like you all, I remain clueless without a diagnosis.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I agree with the previous post that massage and heat help. I have the same burning tearing sensation when I extend my foot and point my toes with the leg straight. It also occurs when I sit back on my heels with the top of my foot resting flat on the ground. It is only noticeable however, when my foot is cold or when I have not warmed up well before exercise. I am a runner and it does not hurt to run but I do feel a mild stinging when I start out and am careful not to over stretch or pound the ground for the first KM. It does sometimes feel like my shoe laces are too tight but makes no difference if I loosen them. I have found that massaging my whole foot while flexing and retracting my toes helps a lot. I can then extend my foot and point my toes without any pain at all. While the pain on stretching returns as soon as my foot cools down it is not as bad. I have been experiencing this on and off for about two weeks and have had it before. I managed to 'fix'' it last time with regular massage so I will give that a go before visiting my podiatrist. I wear tailored sports orthodics for exercise and perhaps that has helped reduce the intensity. I do have quite poor circulation in my feet, hence the regular fitness regime and wonder if that is somehow a contributing factor because I can't recall a specific injury linked to this recent flare up. Does anyone else suffer from cold feet?

10. sidhartha11

sidhartha11 New Member

This is a very interesting issue and one that appears to have an unknown solution to not just me and you but also to the doctors in this forum. I have also searched near and far over the internet for a possible cause and have yet to discover a cause. This might help zero in on the possible cause ... but not what is actually making it painful:
    When stretch my right leg and point my toes, there is excruciating pain in my right Big Toe just as described in this forum. Sort of length-wise to the right of the big toe. No pain when I walk or run ... just when I perform that movement. The closest I can come to a cause is that I had been exercising via walking a lot; sometimes 2 hours or more and up and down hills. Perhaps in someway, the walking damaged something that I cannot discern visually. I still haven't decided to go to a podiatrist in that I have no medical coverage and cannot afford it.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

For several months and seemingly without any cause when I straightened my left leg and pointed my toes (as in when putting on a pair of pants), there was a ripping sensation in my left big toe along the top inner side, just as described in this forum. Additionally, when tapping along the top inner side of my foot I could feel a nerve-type pain along the top inner side of my toe. There were no other actions that provoked this pain.

I finally saw a physiotherapist and he found that my ankle joint had seized (cause of the seized ankle not identified). He released it by pulling on my foot and manipulating it in various directions and movements and instantly I no longer had the pain when I performed the movements that previously caused the pain.

This happened to be my experience and I hope that it might help someone seeking answers to this frustrating situation as at least one avenue to pursue.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my pain seems to be on the top outer side of the big toe ... I noticed you said top inner side.

13. neat1063

neat1063 Guest

F

Had some foot pain similar to this, my first 3 toes were tingly too. I was already seeing a doctor about my back and she did a never test and noticed I had something going on with my nerves in my feet. She sent me to a foot doctor and he said it is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, like Carpel Tunnel only in the feet.

14. Erin

Erin Guest

It's been a while since anyone has been on this forum.

I wonder, if any of you could follow up with the outcome of your toe issues. I have similar symptoms.

I *do* remember what I did to injure my feet. It almost escaped me. While carrying a large bucket of scuba gear, which was pretty heavy, between my car and the garage wall, I tripped on old iron weights left on the side, curled my big toe completely under and put all my weight on it to avoid falling, which resulted in banging the top of my other foot on something. I did not fall. But my stubbed toe is now incredibly painful to point for example, when pointing my foot to put a leg of my jeans on. When I press along the top of the foot towards my toe, it is extremely painful, and feels like being shocked. The pain radiates through half my foot. If I feel the joint of the toe it is only mildly annoying, and I can't be sure but it feels like floating bones moving around. When I scuba dive, cewrtain movements in my fins make it feel like ligaments in my toe are actually tearing, as if I were tearing scar tissue.

I'm pretty sure my other foot now has a ganglion cyst. A big knot right on top, also irritated by my diving. It's moderately painful. And swollen.

Neither foot is healing. Even after taking a week off from diving. It has been a month.

I'm wishing I had just taken the fall.

Any advise is helpful.

Obviously, I will go to a podiatrist when I can.

Thanks,
    Erin

15. dgagen

dgagen Guest

For what its worth I did the stretches every morning and night for several weeks and I no longer have any issues.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I cured mine by stretching it. When i went to bed i lay on my belly , stretch legs and point toes (no pain at this point). Now focus on the toe, try and point your big toe gently and you should get that sharp pain but crucially NOT the burning sensation. Keep it stretched then release and repeat several times. By pointing the toe gently you can control it so the pain gradually builds up without the burn which allows you to hold the stretch. Keep doing it each day and gradually you can stretch the toe further with less pain. I can put my pants on now without any pain although i have not got rid of it completely but i'm 90% cured

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same exact symptoms . Burning/ tearing sensation top of big toe when extending it to put shoes or pants on. I have had gout flare ups for a few years now and the attacks were terrible. The last one I had was in my right foot so I started taking naproxen/indomethacin more than I should have. It fought off the attack but a couple of weeks later this wierd burning when stretching started.

18. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

Do some foot exercises and use natural ointments. For gouts you should not choose healthy diets and eat food having less purines.

19. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Guest

Relieved to find this thread as I checked my symptoms via google. For About 3-4 weeks now exactly as described - acute tight shooting/burning pain along big toe upon leg/toe extension. Seems to be getting worse. When tap nerve 10 cms up foot at one point triggers tight sensation again although without the excruciating pain. Dread putting on trousers. Added complication - I live and work in China. Not confident of a clear diagnosis here. Discussions have ranged a little is there a consensus on diagnosis/treatment. Cheers. Chris

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I cant believe no-one has found a viable cure for this, and we all seem to have the same symptoms
    I went to a local foot doctor, and I;m prety confident, that she didnt know what was going on. She told me to ice massage, (start at the toe and pull up the shin with an icecube in a bag.. 20 times, spin ankle and repeat), then she treid to sell me on orthodics ,,,

I have this in my left toe, and it really effects my golf swing (im a lefty)
    and and I can't complete a golf swing.. but other then that I hardly notice (untill I put on a shoe)

living in Canada, its no big deal for now, but in another couple months the links will be open again...
    please oh please someone find a cure !!