1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

All nails (Toe and finger) fell off toddler

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My 2 year old does not have any other symptoms but a cracked toe nail and a fingernail. Please advise me as to the causes of this problem.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I don't have an answer to this finger and toenails falling off, but as a 31 year old person this happened to me and one other person. I work outside, digging in the dirt ..and me and this other fella were working together...both of us started coming down with that rash on our necks and bodies ...and hands and feet within hours of one another. Later, thick patches of skin fell off and so did all my finger and toenails. I didn't have insurance at the time, so I never got to speak to a doctor. I had always assumed it was some sort of toxin in the soil that made it happen, but I have always been curious to what really caused it.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My daughter (18 months) also had HFMD (rash on hands/feet/torso and ulcers in the mouth) about 4 months ago and has been having peeling nails from the bed since about 2 months ago... now her toe nails are starting to peel too. It looks like the HFMD is a common trend prior to the nail peeling episodes.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Both my sons are having the similiar symptoms of their nails falling off just after 2-3 weeks they had HFMD. However, it seems that not all kids with HFMD will have their nails fell off.
    Does anyone know whether the symptoms is caused by any specific virus or not?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi every1, ive been reading threw every1's stories...mine to is very similar... my 18mnth old had what we believed to be hand foot and mouth- he had a small transparent red small spotted rash on the soles of his feet then his skin also on the soles of his feet began 2 peel off- he had a mild fever 4 a bit... a few months later his toe and finger nails are peeling off- they split at the bed of the nail then dwn the side then begin to peel off the nail..it is happening randomly on the hands and feet, so far we have lost his right big toe which i also thought he had jammed etc as it had wat i thought 2 b a dark bruising black colour to it that none of the other nails had yet we lose wat seems to be healthy nails 4 no apparent reason...we had blood work done for iron levels etc which were cleared as well as arthritis as loosing the nail is a symptom of this condition- and this also came up clear..my doctor now beleive it may be (sorry for the wrong spelling) ceryises of the nail although thea is no rash thea apparently doesn't need to be- we are going to a paediatrician 4 a second opinion..after reading this forum though im starting 2 believe it may be a uncommon effect from the foot and mouth...i hope sum of my story can help others in some way- if u dont hear frm me aian on this then it may be my answers were answerd within reason- however if anything else serious is discover i WILL post up our results for u all 2 investigate also as all the storys seem oddly very much the same...good luck every1..xxx

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My son is 10 yrs old. Had Scarlatina (scarlet fever= strep throat with rash). Anyhow, he 1st started peeling skin on his hands and feet. Like sheets of it. That was late Feb or early March 2010. This last month (May) he is loosing his fingernails and toenails. Growing new ones underneath and no, it does not hurt him. Just looks really weird. I think it has to do with the Scarlatina he had. Your daughter sounds like she had this too. I'm not concerned, just logged on to see if this has happened to anyone else. Maybe I should look into this and make sure it is just a side affect of the virus he had.

Your not alone!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am not sure I am responding correctly, but our granddaughter has been admitted to Children's Hospital 3 times. Now her nails are falling off. The dermatologist she she is pulling them out herself! She had an undiagnosed strep A infection. The doctors seem upset because it took an infectious disease doctor to even diagnose that. Now they are made at my daughter so they are blaming my grand daughter for pulling out her own nails. Can you believe it!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has the same thing happening with her toenails. She has never been diagnosed with any of the above stated viruses or illnesses. They are not cracking and there is no discoloration. They are just falling off from the nail-bed. It is only happening on her toes and no fingers have been affected. I am currently waiting for a phone call back from her doctor and am glad to see that I am not alone. When I asked her if they hurt she said no, but she did say that she bit them off, so I wonder if they haven't been bothering her, but she is also a nail biter, so they might not be. I will post more after talking with her doctor if we come up with anything helpful.

9. Smitty1223

Smitty1223 Guest

My 4 year old daughter has lost a fingernail and a toenail. They just popped off at the nail bed for no apparent reason, and she has had no fever or illness of any kind. I called the doctor and they said to keep an eye on it. If it happens to other nails, they will see her, but for now they said it could be that she was swimming alot or may have had a fungus from nail polish, although there doesn't appear to be any fungus. I'm concerned because it's so unusual and I'm worried it may be an underlying illness. My imagination goes crazy. She had hand/foot and mouth disease about 2 years ago, so I'm familiar with that, but hasn't had any blisters recently, so I don't know if that's what it could be.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello everyone,
    I am so glad I stumbled across this forum. My 2-1/2 year old son and 4 year old daughter are having the same problem. Back in May they both came down with a low grade fever and sore throat. They were both cultured for strep and both came back negative. Then a couple days later both developed small pink "spots" all over thier body, head to toe, we were told it was a symptom of whatever virus they had that caused the fever. The fever was gone after a day and the spots after about three days. Then we noticed the skin on the bottom of our sons feet coming off in thick layers. The doctor looked at it and told us it was athletes foot (which after reading these posts, I no longer believe). Now, he has lost two of his toenails (they came off from the nail bed up) and it looks like he may loose more (his big toenail has a split at the bottom). My daughter has not lost any toenails, but her big toe nail is coming off. They both have also had 1 nail on one hand "peel" from the base up, with new nail growing underneath. We were just told that hand, foot and mouth have been occuring in some kids in the area. I guess I am tending to think our children were misdiagnosed. I am going to try multi vitamins to start I think any other advise would be great. thank you[/I]

11. miahs_mama

miahs_mama Guest

nails (Toe) fell off toddler

my daughter miah is 4 months old for the past 3 or 4 months her 2 big toes have had this same problem her nails will grow out and it will start to look as if they are falling off and another is growing back as it falls off she went for her shots and we asked the doctor why it was doing that the doctor couldnt give me an explination said it was not sumthing she had seen before she told us to put neals**** on it and maybe cut her nails right after a bath so that they would be brittle and we didnt pull the whole nail off. we are going to ask her dctor when she goes back. everytime her nail falls off a new 1 has already grown in behind it that nurse told us that it looks as if she has 2 nails and they just keep growin in behind each other at first we thought she may have ran them over in her walker but its been happening for months now sumtimes her toes will get really red as they start to fall off but it doesnt seem to hurt her. the doctor also told us that it may be ingrown toenails im not really sure what it is bc i have never seen anything like this before and im not sure what to do about it if no1 can tell me why they keep falling off and growing back i would love to help you out but i have no clue myself of what to do. when she was born her toenails looked a little weird but they all said it was normal i didnt think so and i was right!!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My daughter is 3 and had hand foot and mouth sydrome about 3 weeks ago and an ear ache a week ago and i just noticed 3 of her finger nails are coming up from the the base of her nail bed. What i have seen on the internet is that with hand foot and mouth sydrome this has happened with other toddlers.

13. cspoon

cspoon Guest

My son is 3 and he developed the hand foot mouth disease last year in September and I notice he had it again this year in May. He has had ear infection, a lymph node that was raised on one side and I took him to the pediatrician and she told me it was nothing to worry about. Since my boy is All boy and very active sometime that happens. Now reading everyone elses information about Kawasaki. I never even heard anything like it until now. My son has started to lose 1 fingernail and 2 others are starting to fall off and also on his big left toe its starting to fall off. I took him to the pediatrician today and he doesn't know what it is. He told me he was going to call a dermentologist and get back with me. I am also wondering if this has to do with HFTM disease. 3 Weeks ago I notice his feet were peeling, but not his fingers. I thought it might have been the flip flops he was wearing, but now I am thinking it might have something to do with HFTM disease. Im very concerned and what answer. If ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

14. jayk

jayk New Member

I'm so glad that I found this forum. The same thing is happening to my 5 year old boy. At the end of June he starting getting red dots all over his fingers, hands and feet. Then he got white spots in the back of his throat. The pediatrician diagnosed him with coxsackie virus (aka hand, foot & mouth virus). He only had the spots for 4 days and had a low grade fever for 2 days. Then a week after the spots disappeared, his feet starting peeling. At first I had though that it was from the chlorine water, since he went swimming alot, but it evenutally got better and I didn't think much more about it. Then 2 weeks ago, I noticed white spots on every single one of his finger nails. I thought they had do with calcium deposits, but then last week one of his fingernails starting to come away from the nail bed. I thought that he may have bruised it, but then yesterday I noticed every single one of this fingernails are coming off of their nail beds. Where the nail is coming off is a yellowish/gray color, but I can't tell yet if there is a new nail underneath. He doesn't have it on his toenails yet. I brought him to my pediatrician who said that they have never seen something like this before and I had mentioned to them about this forum and the fact that others who had coxsackie also are having the same problem. They kind of dismissed this and told me that it was probably a fungal infection and to see a dermatologist. I will see one at the end of this week. I'm upset that the pediatrician kind of dismissed what I had to say when I told them about how others who had coxsackie are expereiencing similar symptoms. Hopefully, the dermatologist can diagnose and treat this. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is happening to my three year old daughter now. Did you ever find out the cause? Please email me at wendy.scallions@gmail.com if you figured out what it was. So far only fingernails though.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yay!!! I have to tell you all that I feel SO much better after reading this forum. I've been researching on the Internet today and tried to call my pediatrician (out of town until next week) trying to find out why my 3-year-old's fingernails have been falling off.
    I'm so relieved to read that many of your children had Hand, Foot and Mouth disease as well. My daughter had it last month (fever, sore throat, rash) and recovered well. Two weeks ago her skin started peeling off of her feet and just in the last week she has lost two fingernails.
    I will still be calling my pediatrician when he comes back on Monday, but I feel very confident now that this is all related to the Hand, Foot and Mouth.
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories!

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 2 year old and 5 year old girls are experiencing the same thing. They had hand, foot, mouth disease last month. Fever and rash on the bottom of feet and palms of their hands. Once the rash cleared, their skin started peeling off of their feet and hands. A couple of days ago I noticed that my 2 year old had what looked like an injured toenail. Crack at the base and white above it. It lifts a little when pried. Then I noticed it on two of her fingers. Tonight my 5 year old showed me that she had the same thing on at least 3 of her nails. (the 2 year old broke out in HFMD 2 days before my 5 year old). I have read online that this can be a complication of HFMD. I will call our pediatrician just in case.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OMG I am also glad i read this my son back in July had coxsackie there has been an outbreak in my area/state... (NY)... well about four weeks ago probably about two weeks after he was diagnosed with coxsackie I noticed his nails peeling on a few fingers from the bed and also his toenail on at least one is peeling and discolored. I called his doctor and he told me it can be from the coxsackie but then I told him but that was over a couple of weeks he said maybe not but after reading all these outcomes I am now convinced that it was from his Coxsackie I just hope it gets better soon hate seeing my 2 1/2 yr like that one nail actually peeled today and is hurting him that he will not let me even cut it off since it now looks like a hang nail.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

same thing here.my son is 5 yrs old. started off with a small chip at the cuticle of each thumb..and now all his fingernails seem to be doing the same. he already lost both thumb nails last week and the others will more than likely do the same. new healthy nails are underneath and he just got over hand foot mouth disease about 2 months ago.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys! I understand you guys are very concerned about your children. Here's what I have learned after my 10 month old daughter gave it to ME.
    We both initially got a really bad unexplainable fever followed by a cough; being that she is so young she didn't cover her mouth so she passed it along to me. I took her to the doctor and they did a load of tests and nothing came up she only had a few bumps on her heels and almost seemed as if her tongue was irritated. then the bumps appeared on my hands, feet, and the back of my tongue; making it hard to hold anything ,painful to walk, and impossible to taste anything. I had a few of these "bumps" on my nail bed and didn't realize that my daughter must have had them on her nails too.. who looks at the nail bed that closely?
    When the virus clears up the "bumps" peel almost as if the skin underneath dies and you're left with pretty deep holes; losing all surface skin. The same thing goes for the nails except there seems to be a new nail growing out underneath. I also, am still in the process of losing five of my nails three on one hand two on the other. I have to nail glue down the nail because there is literally a tiny piece of nail keeping it attached but just enough to not be able to rip it of with out causing some damage. It has also changed the shape of one of my nails for now I almost have a pistachio shell shaped pointer nail. My daughter only lost one nail and had negligible peeling on her heals. She got off easy thank God. We will see but don't freak ; if the Dr. has never seen much, if any cases of Cocksakies (HFMD) then he may not be aware (we can't all be walking encyclopedias). So just watch it.
    For the woman who said that they keep falling off and growing back I'd talk to the Dr. to see if they can get you to a dermatologist.

Hope this helped you guys

Wakeful.peace@ymail.com