1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Itchy Big Toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 21, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I too have the itchy big toe. I went to the doctor and he sold some stuff for $40 that made it feel even worse. It was this nail polish kind of stuff. He also gave me a fungus cream. It doesn't look or feel like a fungus. It just itches like crazy. I'm surprised no one knows what it is. My nail also is beginning to discolor, ugh. I think it's some kind of virus but who knows.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

actually i went to the pediatrics about it because it was a new and weird itch and he said it was NORMAL!

3. toemuch

toemuch Guest

try removing a little layer by scratching on a pediboard and then with tiger balm or alcohol applied the itching becomes a nice tolerable burning sensation for a while. I have also used the ice packs to numb it.

4. jamieresearch

jamieresearch New Member

I know this is going to sound crazy, but it's true. I had the exact same thing for a few years and it drove me insane. I had it both on my big toe, and on my right index finger. I went to a variety of doctors and eventually wound up at a dermatologist's office. He told me the strangest thing - my itch, as localized as it was, was an allergy. Nothing else on my body itched, but like you all, I would use anything I could get my hands on to alleviate the itch. Believe it or not, I was allergic to my shampoo. Why it affected my TOE and not, say, my SCALP, is beyond me, but he said it's not uncommon. I used to actually bite the skin around my finger nail to stop the itching, and when I couldn't bite it hard enough for fear of hurting myself, I had my boyfriend do it (no, nothing kinky there, just couldn't stand the itch). It was almost like the poster above said about burning it - it felt great, till it get irritated.

Anyway, as nutty as it sounds, you may be allergic to something you're using and that's how your body is manifesting the allergy. Once I figured out what it was I was allergic to - I switched out laundry detergent, soap, etc. until I no longer had the itch, and the offending factor was shampoo - the itch just disappeared. The key is to do them one at a time, so you can isolate what it is you're allergic to. If you change everything at once, you won't know which was the trigger.

Something to think about...

Demetrice likes this.
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Some of you suggested vinegar. I just kept spilling wine vinegar on my big toe and it now feels better. It stopped itching completely. It is still red but at least the itch has subsided.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My right big toe has had a pin point itch right below the nail for about 15 years now. My right thumb also has it to a milder extent. Been to so many docters and nothing has helped. Fungus creams to cortisone injections, and nothing!!. Extreme cold can numb the itch. I even find myself using a nail clipper to hack off the skin.. the pain is far better then the itch.

Iam curious to see about the allergy thing... hard to say what ive been using for 15 years though..

7. jamieresearch

jamieresearch New Member

I get it under the nail of my pointer finger, too. I have jabbed it with a pin, scraped a nail file over it - you name it, I've done it. Miserable, I know. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem! When I first started talking to my doctor about it, she thought I was nuts!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yeah sometimes i still think iam nuts haha. After having this for such a long time.. most of the time i can blank it out for periods of time. It goes through cycles of getting bad to worse. When i was a kid Id make holes in my sneakers from picking at my toe.

Only thing i really havent tried is the allergy side of it. Maybe ill start with some hypo allergenic shampoo haha

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This sounds very similar to what I have, although it is not my big toe, but the tops of three of my toes on one foot and one toe on my other foot that itch like crazy. I've had this for ten years and have tried cortizone and antifungal creams but nothing has worked. No one knows what it is. It doesn't spread to anywhere else and is not contagious. Heat makes it worse, dry or moist heat, and I've resorted to icing my toes to get the heat to go down, and the itch. When I itch it like crazy after a while I get a callous on top, which makes it even worse, but seems to help when I exfoliate it with a nail or foot file. I've tried witch hazel, tea tree, fresh garlic, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar. What helps the most is an ice foot bath and just not letting my feet get hot. I've heard it can be a result of an excess of candida in the body and am considering going on a candida cleanse. My father had a similar problem on his fingers, went on the candida cleanse and it cleared it. It's a tough cleanse though.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of gout. It most commonly occurs in the big toe, and responds unfavorably to the application of heat. Just a thought.

11. Maryland Man

Maryland Man Guest

I have the same big toe itching as well and I think it might be related to having diabetes and the related condition of neuropathy that causes severe pain and itching in the toes and the feet caused by nerve damage. I would suspect that many people have diabetes and are unaware of it. This might be one of the potential causes of the itching. As neuropathy causes issues with the feet it might be a good place to start in determining why the itching is only in the feet. I would suspect it is related to neuropathy in some cases.

12. Sad Ken

Sad Ken Guest

I'd have to go with the allergy option, Antihistamine cream soothes it, and heyfeaver tablets almost make it go away.

Glad i'm not the only one tho, even the cat looks at me funny when i'm trying to itch it...

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh my god, I just started having this big toe issue this morning and it has not stopped all day. After reading your posts I'm starting to get worried that it'll be like this for another 10 years ! I can't sleep because it is the most irritating feeling, not to mention the most random. I guess it is reassuring though knowing that it isn't a fungus or athlete's foot. I hope it goes awayy.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

it's a circulation problem or better known as raynaud's disease.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OMG, my big toe itches as well! It's around the pad side of the toe and there seems nothing strange with it, no redness no anything...but it just itches! It's so annoy and my family docter was like she can't actually do anything to it since there's appearantly nothing wrong with it! If anyone got any idea about it plz tell me, Im so desperate...thx.

16. JJ in Texas

JJ in Texas Guest

I've got it too...good to see we now have a gang of itcy-toe folks. I've had mine for 15 years or better, just on my left foot, ball of the big toe. Itching it seems to work, but man, what a pain in the butt that is. Sitting at my desk all day with one shoe on, one off. I saw the post about neuropothy, it rang a very loud bell since I had (and beat) Leukemia in 2007. However, the symptom existed long before that, so I don' t think I can blame this on the cancer. Anyway...best of luck, maybe we will find the answer down the road a bit....

Demetrice likes this.
  17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have it toe :)

only for about a year though...good times.

18. brows

brows New Member

Thank God for all you. Last night, I had my worse attack. I woke at 2am and didn't get back to sleep until 3am.:eek: I planned to cut my toe off and call 911.
    This search was my attempt at help and I found all of you, finally.
    Oh, jamieresearch, thank you especially. I never thougt it could be allergies.
    I have suffered for so many years. If any of you find a serious doctor, please let me know.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is the closest site I found that others have similar itchy problem as I have. All my life, the tip of both big toes and the tip of my index fingers and thumbs always itches and the lift and right side of my upper and lower lip also itches. I am over 50 years old and I kind of got use to the itchness, but at time is still bugs me that I am always forming the OK sign because of itchy indiex fingers and thumbs and I constantly rumbing my big toes against the bottom of my shoes and bitting my lips. I sure would like to know the cause or find cure. Is it bacteria gotten under the skin, habits, nerve. I think is germs or bacteria as I don't think nerve could effect a 3 or 4 year old because I have this itch on the tip since I can remember.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I guess I really felt after reading all this notes. I have a same problem, Itchy toe of right foot and next finger to it.

I dont want to say too much but yesterday it itches too much, I tool the cheese shredder and started itching till all turned out red but it got worse. But, Definately Ice cold water helps for some reason.

I believe too it must be some kind of allargy. I will start working on it. I dont know how but I dont want to suffer like this for 20 years like another guys.

I guess only I can help myself finding it what I am eating or using by what, I have allergy.