1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal break

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by AAflyer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. AAflyer

AAflyer New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello FootDoc,

I broke my right 5th metatarsal (mid shaft) bone last week (one week today).
    I have been surfing the net, looking for healing times and foods etc to help heal my foot quicker. I realize that there are many variables and each person is unique in the way they recover and heal.

I am a very healthy 37 (as of last month) year old. I do not smoke, do not drink, run and work out daily. My diet is also excellent.

I had a couple questions. The Orthopedic surgeon and myself decided NOT to have surgery and allow my foot to heal on its own. He put me in a walking boot, and said I could walk on it whenever there was no pain. As of now I put minimal pressure on it. I started working out a couple days ago, upper body only, however my foot which I could put limited pressure on (with the walking boot) suddenly felt very uncomfortable.

1. I also noticed more discoloration. The discoloration disappeared at night, however reappeared in the morning after putting the boot back on, is this normal?

2. There is a black and blue mark at the bottom of my foot, is this normal?

3. Lastly, I am an airline pilot, while I have been removed from flight status for 6-8 weeks (pending a medical review) I will continue to teach in the simulator. However I need to actually fly the sim one session. Can I put pressure on the rudder pedal with my walking boot without doing damage?

Great forum, looking forward to your insight.

AAflyer aka "clipped wings"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

My over-riding thought here is to wonder why, after only a week under the care of a orthopedist with whom you relate that you have discussed the mode of therapy acceptable to both of you, that you are asking question on an Internet forum which surely could be better answered in a manner which reflects direct and intimate knowledge of you and your case by the attending doctor. Would not HE be the one to be asking these questions, and on whose answers you should be relying? How can I or anyone else who has never seen you reasponsibly offer to you the specific instructions/clearance that you want and need? I don't ask this as a criticism of you, but I would really like your response to MY questioning your thoughts in coming here for this information.

3. AAflyer

AAflyer New Member

Because I am in Texas and he is in New York. I figured by the tone of your statement you will not be much help. I thought this forum was for questions like mine or others I have seen (to which you gave similar condescending answers). I will chock this message board up to a waste of time. Hopefully your bed side manner is not the same as your message board one.

AAflyer

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

My how YOUR tone quickly changes when you don't get what you want due to what I've explained to you were unrealistic expectations. You ended your last post with "Great forum, looking forward to your insight," and as I am just about the only professional responder here, and it appears that you must have read my oft-given advice that the best source of information would be one's attending doctor, it is certainly a wonder that you took such a "chance" on getting one of those "condescending" answers. It might have been nice had you taken the time to explain that your doctor was far away from your current location. But why would I think that posters might give such relevant background information? . . Silly ME!

But that really doesn't alter the issue that you are asking questions which can only responsibly be answered by a doctor who has seen you and knows the intimate details of your case. If your doctor in New York was aware that you could not return to him and did not advise you to obtain in-town follow-up care wherever you might be, then he's not a very good doctor. A responsible doctor does not treat a fracture and just release a patient without advising or making follow-up arangements.

Finally, I seriously hope that I am never on an airplane where I am dependent on your judgment for my life and limb, as if your judgment in the air is as cavalier as that just demonstrated by your lack of consideration here for your own health and well being, I would want off of your flight.

Happy landings . . . just not with ME!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

A final thought, to supplement my response (above) to your expression of unrealistic expectations . . . How would a phone call to that doctor in New York, whereby you could have had a REAL discussion of your concerns with someone familiar with your case, not been a far more intelligent choice than posting on an Internet forum? Or are you going to now tell me that they don't have telephones yet in TX?

6. Vix

Vix New Member

I think the problem is that you come here looking for some comfort and support (as I did too many months ago when I had a 5th Metatarsal break). When critiscism is offered instead of support, it leaves you feeling jaded.

From my "layman's" point of view, I would advise much more rest for you. I, like you am a very active person, and the pschycological effects of not being able to exercise as you used to are an important consideration, however not as important as making sure you heal right the FIRST time.

I broke my foot last July, I've just had surgery in February, now I have an infection from the surgery. My aim is to be back to the same level of fitness (I'm a runner) by July, a full year after the break!

Every break is different and frustrating in it's own way. But don't push your body to heal before it's ready. Bone healing takes a considerable amount of time and your body cannot be rushed. I think your Doctor would tell you that putting pressure on your foot in the simulator is not wise. I had a walking boot too, but was advised to put no pressure on my foot for at least 6 weeks.

All the best.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow! Foot Doc - you are truly an A-hole.

8. Patty

Patty Guest

Why the hostility Doc? Is this a website that you created so you could get attention and insult people who are looking for help? Why not get a job instead?

9. Petra

Petra Guest

AAflyer,

I didn't think there was anything odd about your questions. Even if your doctor was local...getting a second opinion or perhaps first hand insights is a reasonable and responsible thing to do. I too just broke my fifth metatarsal and would love to hear about healing times and individual experiences.

BTW your emails seemed reasonable but the responses bothered me quite a bit. I think we clearly need to find a better forum.

Heal well!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You are jaded/bitter and just a plain DICK. Perhaps you spread yourself thin and no longer have the patience to deal with any questions. Either way doctors like you forget that not only are you suppose to save lives, but that you are also a public servant. I can tell you that given a choice I'm sure people would not pick you or your attitude. If you feel like people should ask only their doctors questions then why are you even on here???? Keep having fun messing with people you hypocritical ass.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also broke my 5th metatarsal... been laid up for 10 weeks now... not fun. I'm very active. My dr. says bone broke in a good spot that it should be able to grow back by itself.. but will take a little more time.

I took what the DR. on this site is saying as your own doctor with X-rays and all the information about your foot in hand would be more apt to answer your questions intially. Then as a second opinion, another DR. not knowing your complete info could help give generic advise but you shouldn't take it for "gospel".... only as another DR. opinion. If you hadn't been seen by anyone else, he would probably be helpful to give you a "maybe it would work" answer.

Lighten up!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hello AAflyer!

i broke my fifth metatarsal on september ninth and have since gone through a cast for three weeks... then a boot for a few more...... and now im back in a cast because i pushed myself Too Hard when i recieved that lovely boot. the black and blue on the bottom of your foot is perfectly normal (at least thats what My doc told me)
    although, i would stay off of that foot as much as possible because i found out last night (when i got recasted) that this particular bone doesnt get much blood flow and REALLY needs time to just heal.............. ive gone to my doctor three times, and each time my break got Worse and Only because i just assumed itd heal right up and didnt take it seriously! take it easy mr. pilot man, and i wish you happy healing :)
    this will be a long and frustrating process but it Will eventually end!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

AAFlyer asked his question a year ago tomorrow. I'm quite sure your information is both helpful and comforting to him at this time and that he constantly checks back in hopes of such advice.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

good call!
    i figured that he'd still be looking for advice a year later :)
    im sure its comforting to him also, im glad you understand fellow unregistered guest!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello all.

Just wanted to share wit you, I have had broken my 5th metatarsal in June playing soccer, been casted for a week, got walking cast for another 5 weeks and took it easy for 3 months - just regular fitness in the gym, not too much preasure on my foot except careful calfs exercises - no pain or any reaction whatsoever. I did X-rays in the meantime which showed that everything healed OK.

I have decided to go back to the pitch, went for a training session (I play amateur soccer league in The Netherlands), everything was OK, played 20 minutes in the game - perfect start, went for another training - and it snapped at the same spot! I was placed in the cast again for a week - but after a week I was told that, as the spot was the same - I will get only elastic bandage for 2 + 2 weeks (this ends tomorrow and I will do new x-rays) and it might heal better.

Anyway, I don't need any advice (well, you can share your findings and experiences anyway - always welcome), but I would like to hear AAFlyer's one - how did the whole process go - from his simulator, pain etc. So, AAFlyer it would be nice to hear from you after a year.

Cheers,
    AK

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

foot doosh,
    you are running a sweet forum here. aaflyer asks a legitimate question and you reply as if you wanted your forum to blow up, as it did. i hope you no longer try to help anyone, as if you ever helped anyone in the first place. i would say it takes 3 and a half weeks to be back being extremely active. i skated after 5 days which was too soon and gave it some time. it felt progressively better by 2 and a half weeks and within a month all is good!

17. tunners

tunners Guest

Yesterday's X-Rays showed that I have a 5th metatarsal fracture. My doctor advised that I wrap the foot and not walk on it - that's all. It was left to me to work out that I needed crutches and a supportive boot of some sort - so I used the internet to find this site and, hopefully, to learn more about my injury and its treatment.

I have read through all threads to do with metatarsal fractures, and been appalled by the consistently dismissive pomposity of the so-called 'Foot Doctor'. Without exception, he or she is unhelpful to all questioners, and actually ABUSES them for asking this Foot Health Forum for advice or information on foot injuries!

Why have this site at all if it offers NO help, AND insults its users?

Whoever 'Foot Doctor' is, I think they need psychiatric counseling.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I thought I incurred a nastry sprain last week but it didn't get any better so I finally went to the doctor. I broke the 5th metatarsal AND the lateral malleolus (knob on the outside of the ankle). I got an air cast and was advised against walking on it. I go for a recheck in 4 weeks.

My doctor happens to be the only board certified orthopaedic doctor in my area who specializes in the foot alone. He wrote down the names of my fractures and ENCOURAGED me to go online to research and educate myself about these fractures, and that's how I ended up here.

I've learned quite a bit from you fellow posters and I thank you for sharing your experiences. Primarily I've learned that I should not be impatient about the recovery time lest I risk further injury. Sometimes it helps to hear these things from other people and not only your doctor. Glad I didn't come here seeking the advice of this so-called foot doctor though.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

April 2010 stumbled on this site and suffered a 5th metatarsal break . Its now one week old have a supportive boot on which is helpful and the pain has lessened .The boot is on for 3weeks .,so its a wait and see situation . Liked the comments and information . Ithink the foot doctor is "HOUSE"

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think you got something there. From what I see Foot Doctor doesn't take no crap, doesn't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks and gets his facts, conclusions and advice right just like House. As for me when I'm sick or hurting I and I think most patients would take a Dr House or someone like him over a dozen sweet talking hand holders who usually bring nothing to the table but that.