1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken toe pinned k wire

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by fracturetoejune20, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Stubbed 4th toe while walking in June. Did not heal. X-ray report said, "non union complete transverse comminuted fracture." Had surgery today on toe which was pinned with a K wire. Have a post op shoe with tons of bandages on so cannot see anything. No incision was made, Doc "pounded" wire into toe which goes through the joint for stability so wire is internal and external. Wondering how much pain to expect? I think I can feel the wire in my foot, is that normal? What can I expect for recovery and weight bearing status? Thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Gotta LOVE questions like this. You just trust a doctor to "pound" a wire into your foot. Can't your trust him/her to give you the very BEST idea of how much pain is to be expected, whether feeling the wire is normal and what the expectations for recovery and weight bearing should be? Look . . I've treated thousands of patients and answered more than 5000 questions on the Internet, and I simply do not understand how little confidence some folks demonstrate in the doctors who they have selected and trusted to come at them with sharp instruments. I would be embarrassed to be the doctor of the patient who has to get this sort of information here on the very day of the surgery. Spare me the indignation, questions like this are simply wrong-headed.

3. I am new to this site and this was my first question:confused:

I apologize if I gave the impression that I did not have a great foot doctor because I do.

I should have explained that I was inquiring others who may have experienced toe pinning and how their recovery went.

Maybe this is not the correct place to ask :(

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Thank you for responding far more civilly than do some, but I am a firm believer in both doctor/patient communication and the fact that most anecdotal comments are generally only a route to unreasonable expectations on both ends of the spectrum. That being said, there is certainly a way to ask such a question which would be more reasonable by simply stating what your doctor has told you regarding the specifics you asked and questioning others as to whether those predictions seemed consistent with their experiences . . not that that really makes any real difference, as you cannot possibly get enough responses to obtain a clear picture of what you personally might encounter, and more often than not, those with the more negative experiences will be most willing to relate their stories. My advice is to first pic your doctor well, then get essentially all your information from that doctor, as he/she is the only one who knows both you and your individual case. In my view, THAT would be the correct place to ask.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well...I was going to ask a question, but reading your reply I don't think I'll bother, you are a very rude and arrogant person, and I will avoid this website in future. What is the point of having a foot advice website when you tell people to ask their doctor, what a waste of time and energy.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

He got his degree in butthead.

7. Me Too

Me Too Guest

Yep, FootDoc lost another one. I've had the same thing happen big time, and he was actually quite gentle here compared to how he's been for others.

He hasn't learned how to diplomatically state the message he wants to get across (about talking to your doctor) while at the same time giving general paramaters of information. He thinks if he clobbers you over the head with a 2 by 4 you'll say "Thank you" and not be so silly to think a Foot Forum would be a place you could find out more information than your doctor has given you. He has not learned that not all doctors are as wonderfully patient and forthcoming with information as he says he is, and that unfortunately many patients have to resort to finding out more information on forums like this. Or that even if patients do have a wonderful doctor, maybe they want to inform themselves better in order to be able to ask intelligent questions of their doctor or better understand what the doctor has told them.

Don't take it personally and come back to check your thread. There are others who will respond with information. Don't let FootDoc drive you away.

P.S. Also wanted to add: I do not for a minute believe that someone who is so arrogant, rude and downright mean as FootDoc is on a forum transforms himself into a super-caring, patient doctor in "real" life. If he does, then he's Jekyll and Hyde for sure.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mmmm.
    Just got a K wire done myself but dont think that i'll bother saying too much, other than Footdoc appears to be fairly ill-informed and ineffective in providing any useful feedback.
    Maybe stick to scrubbing bed pans...

9. Lil-Lady

Lil-Lady Guest

you are rediculous and your long winded responses were pointless. I sincerely hope you are not actually a physician. Everyone is different, there is nothing wrong with asking for others to share their experience. Why would he need to ask in a way you see fit?

10. I have just had a k wire removed from the side of my big toe. I suffered a nasty break 7 weeks ago. 4 weeks after the wire was inserted I was hoping to have it removed however it hadn't healed. It was another 2 weeks before it could be taken out. That was 2 days ago. Bit traumatic at the time but I was just pleased it was over. Today I have been down to A&E because when I woke this morning I was in pain and my toe and foot have swollen beyond belief. Yep, infection. Getting just a little fed up now.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dressing came of so got district nurse out she well wrapped it up cannot see pins now doctors at hospital never wrapped up this much is this right

12. Kelley

Kelley Guest

13. Kelley

Kelley Guest

Why don't you spare us the righteous indignation you arrogant ass. Someone didn't ask the question in the manner you thought appropriate, so you try and use your education (obviously you came along before medical students were taught more about bedside manner) to belittle someone else. Man, I am glad you aren't my doctor. I know you aren't because my doctors aren't jerks. I hope people reading this will either realize you probably aren't a really medical doctor, or they will just figure out that you are an arrogant ass and not as another question on here.