1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Stiff-soled shoes?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My orthopod recently cleared me to begin walking with a 'stiff-soled' shoe (recovering from 5th metatarsal fracture). I tried to elicit examples from him and he described the 'olden days' where shoes would have a steel shank inserted between the sole and the inner-sole/liner. He stated that since these are no longer common, or easy to find, I should just look for shoes with a thick, hard sole. He didn't, or wouldn't, offer me any brand or style examples other than that.

Does anyone have any experience with a brand or style that may have stiffer soles? I realize that I will ultimately need to go to a store and try things on, but I'm just looking for a little direction before I start running around my town (and still in my walking boot!). I'm really glad to be getting back into shoes since it means I will be able to drive again, but I do not want to jeopardize my foot healing getting set back. As a woman, I am also assuming that something with a flat-to-minimal heel would be best?

2. I have the same issue. I have been wearing Dasko Clogs and they seem to work the best for me but it is the summer and i can't wear them with shorts so I am trying to find something else. Anyway...ideas??

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My doctor recommended the anti-gravity line by Easy Spirit, Dansko flat sandals or the Skechers with the unflexible soles (shape ups maybe?)

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Today our orthopedic surgeon recommended use of stiff-soled shoes for my wife, and named the following brands to look at. We agree that the only way to be sure they are stiff and will keep the front of your foot from flexing during walking is to try on the shoes. The named brands to look at are:
    * Birkenstocks
    * Orthaheel
    * Fitflop
    * Dansko
    * Mbt (rockers)

From a quick online check, it appears that they are all rather spendy, but you have to do what you have to do.

5. Vic

Vic Guest

6. Vic

Vic Guest

Reebok DMX Max will work wonders if you can find them. I can only find them on line and everyone seems to be out of 11 EE.

7. Suesuesue125

Suesuesue125 Guest

Try hiking shoes.

8. Rick

Rick Guest

I also have a foot condition that requires me to wear stiff-soled shoes. The best ones I have found are from Xelero. They don't have a steel shank, but do have a control plate made of some composite material. The downside is that they are expensive and the soles wear quicker than I would like. I have found a place (NuShoe) that will resole them. I have two re-soled pair and it appears that the uppers will wear out before the soles. Hope that helps.