1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

numbness in big toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I too have experienced the same thing. It happened about 2 weeks ago. The outsides of both of my big toes went a little numb. I was at the Dr. today (for another reason) she looked at it and was not concerned? I dunno what to think. So far it has not caused me a problem but not sure what may have happened an find it mildly alarming, I have not discovered anything that helps with this. I am a 37 y/o male.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am an 18 year old female and have numbness down the outside of my big toes.. I don't martial arts, and have done for ten years.. The numbness has occurred for the past few months, but is recently becoming painful.. Has anyone found the cause? I find it painful to bend those particular toes as well, and the pain is spreading down the whole toe

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

or maybe you can squeeze it, massage it frequently to stimulate circulation, instead of hoping your body will fix it for you automatically or even wasting doctors time.this messsage is not intended for the original post

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 42 year-old female with no health complaints. I went camping and was stung by a yellowjacket on the tip of my right hand ring finger. The pain lasted all day and seemed to spread from the tip of that finger down to the inside of my wrist in a straight line. The finger and hand is now fine. I also road my mountain bike down a mountain twice on that trip and my shoes could be the culprit, but, I tend to think it was the toxin in the sting that caused my two big toes to go numb. I noticed the numbness in the big toes the night I returned home, Saturday night. It seemed to appear in a sudden onset. The following evening I noticed both upper and lower lips were numb. That struck me as more odd than the toes. The numbness in the lips was gone by morning but the two toes continue to be numb without let up. I have had this condition for six evenings now. It is a constant, annoying, noticeable sensation. I would think toxins would have left my system by now. I have no noticeable neck or back pain from the bike ride. I will be taking a vitamin with all the B's in it. In fact, I will take one right now. I will report back if the pain goes away. I'm not going to go to a Dr. for this, however. I'm just posting this because of the sting proceeding the symptoms.
    ==Bethann.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 33 yrs old and also have numbness in my big toe. I have had 2 children. The first one they tried an epidural 6 times with no luck. Didn't bother with my son. Have had issues ever since. Come to find out mine is from my back. Has nothing to do with my feet, even though I have the numbness, tingeling, unable to run, and haven't been able to wear highheels for years. I thought it was my feet but it all has to do with my back. I'm actually starting cortizone shots and had my first one. It has helped some but not all. Will try again to see if it gets better. Good luck and I hope you find an answer. I just wanted to throw this in as another option.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I googled this because I feel like a div going to the doctors, I have had both a tendon injury in both feet over the past two years and a car crash a few yrs ago too which resulted in a prolapsed disk.

My left outer big toe is numb and just recently my right toe also went numb. I was worried it was something neurological rather than related to my foot injury - but it does tie in with the long ten hour night shifts on my feet I done where they used to swell up.

I havent had children and dont have diabeties (although havent been tested)

Was very suprised at how many people have the same thing!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 36 year old female and noticed two days ago that I had no feeling on my right big toe. The numbness seems to be on the outside left of my toe, right outside the nail and just below. I have been reading all of the responses and have several of the same symptoms. I had my daughter in 2010 and my son in 2011 and had epidurals with both. I am flat-footed and always have been so my feet get really sore, especially my heels which tend to burn when I have been on my feet too much. Flat shoes or barefeet seem to be worse than a shoe with a small heel, as it is very difficult for me to wear high heels, probably due to my flat feet. I also had an injury to my left knee a few months back and I thought that this also might be a symptom of my right leg overcompensating for my left. I had no pain prior to the numbness so it's not any kind of an injury. When I started researching the problem I found lots of responses about diabetic, neurological, and nervous disorders so I hope this is something simple. I wouldn't mind living with it forever if it was nothing serious.

8. thylow

thylow Guest

I just soaked my feet in hot water, and notice my callused heel can stand the hot water better than the rest of my feet. Maybe its our toes adapting to the long work hours. I'm on my feet 16 hours a day as a donut shop owner. I wear good soles, some time hiking books. I think taking a break helps too. I'm going to a three day bachelor party. We'll see how it goes

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

this is crazy i have had a numb toe for two weeks and i i have no clue why it doesnt hurt or anything it is just numb if anyone gets a heads up on this please let me know

10. thylow

thylow Guest

Soaking my feet in hot water helped.my right toe is no longer numb. My left toe is still numb but its starting to feel tough with callus. Texture feels like my heel. Tingly ness is subsiding.its been five days since my 3 day trip. 5 days since my feet soaking in hot water where I can bear the heat

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

EVERYONE'S GETTING NUMB!

Anyway, 20 year old male, have had numbness only on the outside of my right toe, NOT my left, since I started working as a busboy. My toenail has stopped growing as well, which actually happens a lot with my fingers and toes from time to time, so I'm not worried about that.

I was worried about the numbness, which hadn't come back for a while now, going to try the hot water trick to see if that works. Extremely happy to see so many others with the same problem. ...not that I'm happy we all have numb toes though =[

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi i have the same problem, new job needed some steel toecaps, chose some that looked military style but not comfortable, after a couple of weeks maybe months i started getting severe pains on the outsides of my big toes. the right one seemed like there was a blister under the skin then it went hard and has lumped out :( and my left big toe is numb on the side and has spread a little i also get pains now and then and its been like it for nearly a year! its also painful cutting the nail on the side. i do have i very wide feet and wear uncomfortable boots for 9 hours a day so i'm suspecting an ingrown toenail and maybe damaged nerves as a result or lack of blood flow to the feet.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have it too... Googled it today. This has to be a government experiment because it just makes sense!!!! ITS A PROGRESSIVE GROWTH IN THE NUMBERS OF PEOPLEZ!

Srsly. My right big toe won't stop being numb. I had a wedding to go to last Friday and I did a lot of standing over the course of Thurs/Fri/Sat + Driving. Strange thing is my toe didn't go numb until Saturday afternoon while I was driving. It's been numb since.

I tried stretching, but it doesn't seem to help. Currently sitting in my office with my right shoe off, that seems to help a bit (these are the same shoes I wore Friday afternoon and most of Saturday).

14. fluffy

fluffy Guest

same here numbness in right toe on left side of it. I thought i damaged it when dancing at my wedding last friday but it didnt come on till sinday night. No cahnge since then just tingling if i touch it and numbness but i have got a large bunion so maybe thats pressing on the nerve somewhere. I dont like doctors as they allways seem like they really cant be bothered unless ones actually dying in seat these days so im trying witch hazel gel on it? strange its so common though

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have a lot of the same things everyone here is experiencing! I first noticed mine when I wore new shoes for my wedding, it has been a week and my big toes on the outer edge are still numb! I thought maybe it was my new shoes, I have also been experiencing lower back pain at night when I sleep. I thought maybe the two were connected! I just hope it goes away soon, it is so annoying!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I myself was Googling and came across this, I can't really remember when I realized that I had a numb feeling but I believe less than a yr ago. It started in my right big toe and like everyone else became concerned. But now I'm realizing that my left toe is also showing the same signs,I myself have 2 kids and also had the epidural my last one being 4 years ago but I'm not sure if its connected. I also had ingrown nails issue on my right and now on my left toe,I'm thinking its a result from that. I'm just not sure cus I've been told it could be related to diabetes but have no other symptoms of diabetes as well as the times I've been tested they came out negative.its strange how do many people are dealing with it and nothing can be narrowed down to what the cause is..oh and also like to add that I myself am a smoker and is told that it cause less bloodflow to toes and fingers,are any of you smokers as well?

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

43 year old male here with same symptoms on outside of right big toe all the way to -and especially on- the knuckle on the foot. I am active duty military with three deployments and this started some time after I redeployed last summer. I run a lot and just discovered (after severely irritating the lateral nail fold, the skin on either side of the nail, yet again that I should wear running shoes at least one half size larger than my regular shoes. In my late 30's, I discovered that I have really high arches and have worn orthotics since then. I also have bone spurs on top of both feet and have had a calcium deposit near the bursa of the big joint in the right foot since I was 16.

18. Mike

Mike Guest

I also have numbness in one of my big toes. Its been like this for a few years.. no problems otherwise and isn't really bothersome to me but it gets me worried from time to time. I have no idea what it came from or what it is.. have never seen a doctor about it. It hasn't spread and hasn't affected me so I never made a big deal out of it.

When I'm barefoot on a cold floor is when I notice it.. so no real problems. Just wondering what was up and interesting to see others with similar issues..

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a runner and I am thinking it is related. I did have an epideral but it was 11 years ago and I am having a hard time connecting it to that. It just started one day and When I wear flip flops (which is almost always) I can really feel it, like the strap puts pressure when I step....it really is such an odd sensation. Kinda glad to see there are so many others with this malady. Makes me less nervous about it.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Female, 40's, healthy, no kids.....A Podiatrist once told me that my Big toes slightly rolls outward when I walk and it might have irritate the outer nerves of my toes when it rub's against the surface when I walk. I go barefoot a lot. Also, I notice that the seam's of my socks sometimes rub against the outside of my toes and so I'm careful when I put socks on to keep the seams away.