1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

red bump on top of big toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by justinMA, Apr 26, 2012.

1. justinMA

justinMA New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    [​IMG]

Over the last two or three weeks, a slightly reddish bump has developed on top of each of my big toes, located at the last joint/knuckle before the tip of the toe.

They're not painful to the touch, though the one on the right seems to be slightly sensitive- I am often barefoot (work from home) and when I step in a manner that pulls against the pad of my foot, I can feel a very slight/quick burning feeling from the skin where the bump is (when that skin is pulled tighter). I'll admit this may just be due to me rubbing/picking at the skin after showers (which I did once or twice recently but am not anymore).

I haven't had new shoes recently, and as I said, having been wearing shoes nearly as frequently as I used to. Sometimes I wear socks, sometimes I am completely barefoot.

There is no other pain in my foot (when bending toes, etc) and these are otherwise painless- though the last day or two, the one on the left toe has been slightly sensitive to rubbing against things. Again, not sure if this is from picking at it a few days ago. It isn't bad pain, just a very quick irritation, sort of like a momentary burning or stinging feeling.

There is no puss, and it feels solid (not like an abscess or legion), like padded skin I guess.

By the way, I have dryness and sometimes a little bit flaky skin, in between my toes- you can see it a bit in this picture. That stuff schleps off after I shower (hence the scratching at the bumps after showering). Not sure if this might be related in some way to the dry skin.

I thought of gout or bunions, but those both seem to pretty exclusively affect the knuckle at the base of the big toe, and more on the side than on the top.

I very much appreciate any thoughts anyone has. I don't have my own insurance yet, so I am hoping to get a little more information before I figure out how to approach treatment if it is necessary.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did you figure out what it was? I have
    One of these too?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Me too same area on one foot....thought I would google it and came up with this post!!!any ideas yet?

4. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

These bumps are due to some skin infection, however there can be many other reasons like bug bites or cysts or boils on foot.
    Medical treatments include strength creams that reduce swelling and itching. If your red bumps contain pus, you can also go for oral or topical antibiotics.

Use pads and comfortable shoes to provide protection in areas where these infection occur. Also soak your feet in warm water, keep it clean. If the problem persists please consult a podiatrist.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did you ever find out what they are? I have one.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have this too, on both big toes. Showed up a few years ago along with damage to the big toe nail base. Comes and goes now and the shape of the toes has changed due to it. Painful sometimes to the point of waking me during the night. Wrong joint for gout and uric acid test came back normal. No new shoes or injuries. A mystery.

7. Toe thing

Toe thing Guest

This is no dog-on infection. I have had this for years on my left big toe, and yes the toe looks ugly it changed the shape of my toe. It has never hurt until recently that I started wearing high heels more often. I don't know what the heck it is. Like the other poster said it feels solid..I almost think it's the bone/joint. Could it be a bunion type thing except of course higher on the toe. I remember being very young when I noticed it after wearing what became my favorite pair of sandals.

8. Russell

Russell New Member

I also have the same problem in one foot...
    Thank you for your advices!
    I'll try them to see if it foot gets better. And if not I'll consult a podiatrist for sure.

9. Tanya

Tanya Guest

I have the same thing. Just came up over the weekend. It is hard, smaller than a pea just slightly and kinda tender, but not overly. Mine is on my 4th toe. A bone spur perhaps? I might have stumped my toe a few days ago, but not sure. I also go barefoot all day because I am on the house, so not from shoes. Please let us know what it is!

10. Jil

Jil Guest

I have them too! Could it be this?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/myxoid-cyst