1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swollen Metatarsal Ligaments (I think)

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice please!

I hurt by foot about 3 months ago playing football. there was no impact injury but my left foot did ache a bit the next day. I thought it would wear off but about a week later I could hardly walk on it due to the pain. I looked at my foot and the area above my metatarsals was swollen i.e looked quite puffy and I was unable to seethe outline of any of the metatarsal bones or ligaments.

The pain on my foot was really bad when walking and if you pressed down on the top of my foot in the area leading into the toes. It hurt so bad I went to the hospital and had an x-ray which cam back as nothing broken. After about 3 weeks the pain had pretty much gone although my foot was still quite swollen. The swelling had reduced a bit as i could now see the two ligaments leading into my two most outer toes again.

I started playing football again and was fine with no pain. However about 2 weeks ago I played and the next day felt the pain in my foot again. My foot has since swollen again and hurts to walk on.

Has anybody had any similar injuries or swelling/pain where they have been told an x-ray shows nothin is broken?

Any tips for reducing swelling? Time frames it has taken to heal?

Thanks,

Patrick

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Patrick,
    Did you find out the cause of your foot swelling and pain?
    I have similar symptoms though I cannot remember an injury.
    Let me know how it turned out for you!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think you may have what's called Metataralgia, the metatarsal heads have been bruised and are now painful and swollen. There is nothing that can be done medically, but the suggestion is to ice your foot, rest, raise the foot, wear only upportive shoes, don't go barefoot or wear heels (for women). They have some support pads you can use on the bottom of your foot to help strengthen the area so the reoccurance can be reduced.

Google it for more info.

The only reason I know of it is that it appears it's what I have too.