1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain after toe fusion!!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi. I recently had my toes fused again for the second time as first time round didn't go too well. I have had both feet done and as this is my second time I knew (or thought I knew) what to expect. I had the op done in the 25 Nov so I am coming up to 4 weeks post op. The feet were healing very well (just like last time) and I was starting to get a little more mobile and independance again. Thing is on Fri my nephew opened a door onto my foot and knocked k wire (accident of course), it wasn't with any force and although it hurt on impact it seemed to settle straight away. My husband being a fuss pot made me return to the sofa and elevate my feet again... After a couple of hours the foot really started to hurt and then swell. I was in absolute agony and had to take all of the pain relief the surgeon gave me for post op, I also only manage 20 min sleep Fri night. It settled slightly yesterday again but not to how it was before I knocked it and it is still swollen (the whole foot) even the toes that were not operated on. Please can somebody give me some advice as my husband want me back at hospital but I don't want to waste the docs precious time especially at this time of year. Im just worried that the wire may have been dislodged and digging into something?? :dizzy:

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Pain after toe fusion!! and my own question

While I am just 5 days post-op, I would highly suggest you call the doctor and not worry about bothering him/her since that is their job. Just do it and that will make your husband happy.

I just spent two hours back and forth on the phone with my pod. My left foot (fusion on big toe) is very cold. It is almost like I put my foot in a bag of ice. The doctor had me remove almost all of my bandages and soft cast in case it was too tight. He also told me to not elevate my foot and see him tomorrow. The cast and bandages didn't seem tight at all and the foot is still cold BUT not as much. Any ideas?

Thanks

3. Georgie2

Georgie2 New Member

Hi and thank you for your reply. I posted the original post and have since registered on this site (looks very helpful).

Is it your toe or your whole foot that is cold? If I remember correctly my toes where cold for the first few days but not the whole foot. You will have to post when you have been to see the surgeon and let me know what he said.

The thing is with me my surgeon/doc is a 2 hour drive away, which therefore doesn't make it as straight forward as just nipping in to see him!!! So if anyone has had similar or knows of what may be causing the swelling/pain I would appreciate it.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Both of you should be "nipping in" to see your doctors at once, instead of wishing you had later on.

5. Georgie2

Georgie2 New Member

Thanx foot doc. I take it you know what you are talking about so will go back to see him.

I will post to say if all is ok.

6. kpetit

kpetit New Member

Thank goodness for forums > injured foot right after surgery> pain> swelling>
    Bless you for trying to be considerate, but you already know what to do.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying.

8. kpetit

kpetit New Member

The lady was worried about bothering her Doctor; it was just a gentle way of chiding -

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Im goin in for a oxford fusion please could some one tell me if you have to wear one ov the big bootthings when u have it done thankyou..

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I don't know what an oxford fusion is, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask that of the doctor who is going to perform it?

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

it were they cut your toe and put a wire down it to make it strait. ?

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Once again . . isn't this something that you should be asking the doctor who is going to do the procedure?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ok keep ya hair on ur a foot surgon and ya dont even no the answer to my question o my god u might want to go back to college

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have had pain after my fusion. My fusion was done 7/22/09 and went very well. At each post op visit to my Foot and Ankle Doc, he said It looked text book perfect. (after taking x-rays of course) My last visit was 8 weeks post op and he said after looking at the x-rays that he is 99.5 % certain the fusion took. Gave me little restrictions other than no marathon running and toe bending. (I'm a yoga teacher) I was a good patient and did exactly as he instructed. What I noticed is that over the last month, the side of my foot hurts and is tender to the touch. My foot tends to "fall asleep" easily. (pins and needles feeling) I still have a mild amount of pain. Is this normal for 4 months post op? Should I wait it out for a couple more months or see the Doc?

Thanks for any info you can share.

15. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although you haven't specifically said so, as you are posting in this old thread, I assume you are talking about fusion of a toe joint. If that is the case, it would have no bearing on your foot "falling asleep" other than the area at or distal to the surgery. I know nothing about your case or procedure, so if you want to know if pain at this time is something to be concerned about, check with your surgeon.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you. Trying to find a current forum has been difficult. I had Right 1st metatarsal phalangeal fusion. They took out the joint and I now have a titanium plate a 8 screws. My surgeon warned me of the risk of stress fractures due to the surgery. As stated in my original post, I am a yoga teacher and resumed my practice when my surgeon told me I could do so. I resumed with the necessary modifications. Since the outside of my foot is tender to the touch I worry about a stress fracture. My gait is not normal at this time because the underside of my big toe is also tender. I should probably call my surgeon, correct?

17. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    One cannot expect to achieve a normal gait when a great toe is fused, as a proper range of joint motion there is a requirement for normal ambulation. A fusion is a trade off . . . trading function hopefully for pain relief. But yes . . . if you are having post-surgical problems, the very first thing you should have done was call your surgeon. Forums are not adequate venues for diagnosing most medical problems. They are for general, non-case-specific information.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just curious i still have one of the pins in my big toe from the fusion. I was told if it didnt bother me it doesnt need to come out. Now I have noticed it poking out a little bit but still in the skin. Is this unsafe? yes can you tell I feel like ive been through so much with these feet I dont want to get this pin taken out.
    Thanks Jen

19. Mimi Day

Mimi Day New Member

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've got two orthopedic problems and simply need to write it down and possibly get some useful feedback. Problem 1: total left knee replacement coming up April 5. Naturally I have pain in that knee when I walk. Problem 2: hallux limitus in right foot after two surgeries, the first a bunectomy and another to repair the damage done by the bun doc. I don't have the records in front of me and cannot give all the terms. That foot now has two pins and the Morton's neuroma has been removed. The second toe, which was becoming a "hammer" after the first surgery,was fused. Now that foot is painful to walk on and there is a large bump on top of my big toe joint, almost as if the bunion had been removed from the side and replaced on top. There is a lot of crunching when I bend the toes, and the ball of my foot has thickened.

The orthopedic surgeon I last consulted says that the only solutions he can suggest are cortisone shots and then fusion when the injections cease to do any good. I have had one cortisone injection. It may be helping, but there is still pain when I walk. The knee doc said to take care of the foot first, but the only thing offered was fusion, which I did not want to do. I'm getting some serious pain in the hip joints as well, from my unnatural gait.

I am feeling blue about all this and wonder if there is any help for my foot other than fusion, orthopedic inserts, and shots. I also dread the weight this foot will have to bear when I am healing from the knee surgery. Any comments or sympathy would be most appreciated!

I have read the posts about fusion and I sympathize sincerely with all of you.
    Margaret

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  20. Mimi Day

Mimi Day New Member

I'm glad to have found this forum. I've got two orthopedic problems and simply need to write it down and possibly get some useful feedback. Problem 1: total left knee replacement coming up April 5. Naturally I have pain in that knee when I walk. Problem 2: hallux limitus in right foot after two surgeries, the first a bunectomy and another to repair the damage done by the bun doc. I don't have the records in front of me and cannot give all the terms. That foot now has two pins and the Morton's neuroma has been removed. The second toe, which was becoming a "hammer," was fused. Now that foot is painful to walk on and there is a large bump on top of my big toe joint, almost as if the bunion had been removed from the side and replaced on top. There is a lot of crunching when I bend the toes, and the ball of my foot has thickened. The orthopedic surgeon I last consulted says that the only solutions he can suggest are cortisone shots and then fusion when the injections cease to do any good. I have had one cortisone injection. It may be helping, but there is still pain when I walk. The knee doc said to take care of the foot first, but the only thing offered was fusion, which I did not want to do. I'm getting some serious pain in the hip joints as well, from my unnatural gait.
    I am feeling really disabled and blue about this course of events and wonder if there is any help for this foot other than fusion, orthopedic inserts, and shots. I also dread the weight this foot will have to bear when I am healing from the knee surgery. Any comments or sympathy would be most appreciated!
    I have read the posts about fusion and I sympathize sincerely with all of you.
    Margaret