1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

numbness in big toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.

somebody else said this as well. I have the same problem because of the work I do. I am a maintenance worker and have been working on my feet since I was very young. I think I was born with work boots on. Anyways, I went to the doctor and he was useless. The meat stick said there was nothing wrong and he thought it was all in my head. Somebody else told me the shoe thing, and they were correct. To bad there wasn't much I could do for long but maybe you can change your foot's lifestyle.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 28 year old male who just started working in a factory with a lot of coolant that gets every where and I have to wear steel toe boots about a month into the job the outside of both big toes went numb I figured it was the coolant or steel toe boots so I switched boots helped a little but still numb just weird both toes went numb and just the out side inside feels perfectly fine also it feels real good to put them under very hot water that would normally burn its been about 6 month's

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow...I'm not alone. I am a 27 yr old female, no children, but have noticed the same problem for quite some time now. I think it started about the time I had to start seeing a chiropractor for my sciatic nerve. I thought of in grown toe nails too at first, but when I was a kid I had surgery to have my growth plates cut in my big toe nails because I got in grown nails so frequently, and I also get regular pedicures. Anyway, my back is fine now and I have no more pain or problems with my back or legs, however I still have the numb toes. I have tried cracking them, stretching, ect. Nothing seems to work. I am concerned about this mainly because it keeps me awake at night or will actually wake me up because of the tingling. If anyone finds any home remedies I would greatly appreciate it as I don't have health insurance. Also, as far as shoes, I rarely ever wear shoes and at work I wear flats, no heels, so I can't imagine it's shoes in my case. Please help if u can!! Thanks :).

Hope everyone finds the help they need!!!"

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I cannot believe the number of persons who have this issue.

I am a 37 year old woman. no diabetes. not had children. wear open toed shoes so thats not the issue.

been feeling this tingling numbness for years. Thought it was to trivial to bother about but suddenly decided i should check online if it was a cause for concern. Despite reading all of the posts - i still dont have a conclusion - should i show it to a doc or is it irrelevant in the larger scheme?

still confused!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

stop the pregnancy stuff ladies, u heard theres men in here that have it too, plus you all are jumping the gun,i sprained my ankle, i have the numbness in my big toe on the outside since june of last year from the ankle injury.
    have a ultra sound or a examine done, mri xrays etc. good luck! mine was found by my poditrist he did a ultra sound,,,do i need surgery? i'll know in 3 weeks, but ive been doing therapy, doesnt help!
    ohya im 46 female my kid is over 23!

6. Renewed

Renewed New Member

Of course it goes without saying consult you personal health care professional.

Sometimes numbness in the lower extremities are the result of problems associated with the hips. Alignment problems of the hip can be caused by prolong sitting, injury, improper standing, or pregnancy. Thus muscle imbalance follows.

7. I went to the doctor for shortness of breath thinking I had ashtma, the doctor didn't think the same but still testing for it regardless. At first he thought it was anemia but tests came out negative, still testing my heart and lungs so no clue what's wrong with me yet. Some of my other symptoms include head aches, light headedness, heart pounding, shortness of breath, extremities going numb or twiching, tingling sensation in extremities, arms and feet feel heavy sometimes... and hadn't even put thought into this one but now that i think of it, might be a symptom as well, my left big toe lost all sensitivity while in boot camp a little over a year ago... I literally can't feel anything at the tip of it unless i massage it for a little while. Most girls in my platoon at boot camp had the same thing happen to them for the first couple of weeks (I guess it was because they were adapting to wearing boots all the time) but I'm the only one who still can't feel with the tip of my big toe! any insight on this?

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there

I am having the same symptoms but in my right leg and big toe only. its numb and tingles at times. When i explain to people they just look at me like im mad

Is there anything you have done to counter your medical prob?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

27 male. Hi, outsides of both big toes slightly numb (can still feel a bit), been this way for at least one year, probably 2-3+, i just never noticed.

People that are worried about it, don't. It's not MS unless you have other symptoms which the vast majority of you don't. MS also doesn't usually effect both toes, it generally effects one side or one limb. If it is MS it'll get much worse, and you'll know, because you're a hypochondriac.

There, relax, and stop googling until you have an actual problem :).

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: numbness in big toes and Juvenile Diabetic

When I was around 23 still in college and I had numbness in my right big toe on the inside between toes. I thought numbness in right big toe might be due to a basketball back injury. I hurt my back and was in pain for a couple of weeks. It seems my toe went numb around the same time. I was worried it might be due to my diabetes.

Went to doctor and she said it might be due to my diabetes so she prescribed me an antidepressant. She explained that "they don't know why, but this antidepressant has the ability to regenerate nerves." So I took these small pills that made me feel tired all the time and I hated that. But, my toe has not been numb since then until now.

Could be that the antidepressant didn't do a thing and it may have worked itself out on it's own. I don't know.

Now in my 40's and the same toe is going numb but this time on the outside. I have had some pain but it is not often and it is brief pain. This is worrying because of diabetes. But it sounds the same as many on this forum who don't have diabetes.

I don't have any complications with my diabetes, I am in pretty good control and eyes are almost perfect, no glasses.

I have considered my shoes but I don't know.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. annoyed...

annoyed... Guest

I have had numbness now for 1.5 months... started at my new job, started wearing flats... Both of my big toes have been dumb, and it feels a bit more intense now... sort of flares up.... Its really irritating, and I would like to find a cure. Anyone know what to do???

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 30yr old female. And this problem is only in my left big toe and it started about 2 weeks ago. But mine dulls off for a min then comes back. Kind of like it's waking up. Tingles a bit then goes numb again. I am a hair stylist that works 40+ hours a week in very bad shoes. I'm going to assume its from the shoes and the long periods of standing. I'll will get new shoes with orthopedic insoles and then I'll revisit with an answer.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had this problem since I was about 22. I started to notice it around the time I was wearing some shoes to work that were too tight across the top. I went to a P.A. Who tested sensation with a cotton ball alternating with a pointed object and I was supposed to try to say if it wad a sharp or dull touch. Well I can tell if something is touching the area, but it is not discernable whether it's sharp or dull. Well the P.A told me it wouldn't be caused by shoes that were tight across the top because the nerve for the tip of the toe runs behind the foot and not on the top. He then told me it was caused by calluses. Now I disagree with that diagnosis because the skin where it is numb is soft and not callused at all. Also sometimes it tingles and aches. Especially after I run. It's almost like there is SOME sensation there, but it almost feels DELAYED if that makes sense.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hmm.... I am too having the numbness in both big toes for a week now. Reading through all the posts above ...... there is no cause uniquely diagnosed and hence no solution..... Please post links to medications or exercises or messages that have helped any of you

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi I am 29 with the same numbness on the outside of my big toes. I went to the doctor and they sent me for testing and MRI and could not find anything. I decided to visit my chiropractor and he found that I had a slipped disc that was causing an irregular curvature to my spine that in return was putting pressure on the main nerve running from my forehead to my feet. This was also causing circulatory restrictions. I have been seeing him twice a week for the last three weeks and I can feel my foot again!!! No drugs needed just a few adjustments!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been experiencing numbness on the outside of my left big toe for about a week now. I work on my feet alot and assumed it was just through standing too long tight shoes. But after reading these posts I'm pretty sure that it's stemming from my back.
    I am a runner and often have tight hamstring muscles and recently I've been having a few twinges of pain in my back.
    The earlier post about stretching the muscles in your leg sounds the most logical for me. I will also visit my cranial osteopath as she has helped me in the past.
    Will keep you posted if it helps.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Super relieved to see so many people with the same issue!! I am a 25 yr old female with NO children, and I started experiencing this numbness on the outside corners (on the arch side of the foot) of both big toes. I assumed it was possibly from minor ingrown toenails, which are very common--so I didn't fret. I know you're not supposed to, but I've always just gone in and clipped the painful corners of the big toenails off. Over the years I've forgotten about it, or just haven't paid much attention at all, and just recently realized my left big toe regained all feeling! Good news, however, I went and started messing with my right toenail, pulling down the outter skin of the nail, and I swear it felt like--in that moment, the external numbness spread all the way down to the joint! >.<

I'm assuming I'm not diabetic, because this has been going on for years and I've exhibited no other symptoms other than the occasional low blood sugar feeling when I haven't eaten all day. Which is an expected, reasonable way for the body to react for any one person who hasn't eaten all day.

I am constantly on my feet 5 days a week at work (I've worked at a neighborhood grocery store for about a yr.) lifting heavy objects and walking around, I walk at least a mile everyday outside of work on top of it, all doing so on flat feet and in non-athletic shoes. I've been having weird back twinges for about a year (they intensified with the heavy lifting), and now the spread of the numbness in my right toe...

I suffer from general anxiety so I'm trying to be rational about this and not freak out. That being said, I really feel that the problem is external, rather than internal (diabetes, etc.). Any ideas? Do these things sound related?

I'd appreciate any feedback...thx so much! x^_^x

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 19 year old female. I work at a grocery store and i have been having this problem when I work shifts that are about 8 or 9 hours. Working in the check stand, standing in one place for that long makes it worse than if I was working the floor(stocking). If I check for 4 hours or more, My heels begin to hurt like crazy. Its a severe pain. Then, the pain spreads to my toes, mostly my big toes and i have pain in my high arches too. My big toes begin to get numb in the last few hours of my shift. I have been working these shifts for many days in a row and you would think I would be use to it. The pain is almost unbearable. Customers think that I have to pee because I can't stand in one spot or put pressure on any one spot of my foot for more than 5 seconds. I've ruled out the shoe issue. Everybody thinks my big toes are strange because I have a callus type formation directly under the toe knuckle. When I bend my big toe and you look at the bottom, the callus makes the part it covers bend the opposite way of the unaffected part...so it looks like a B. Where the callus are and my heels are the most intense points of pain. Also, the bone on the side of my foot, big toe side, hurts too. My shoes aren't the problem. I have pain in my lower back from being a high jumper, but i only notice it when someone tries to pop my lower back, they can't pop it, it just causes major pain. I worked a 9 hour shift today and I am laying in bed, I cant walk because of the intensity of the pain now. When i stretch my hamstring by bending my toes towards my face, I feel intense pain starting from my heel, going in a line across my arch, and to my toes. I need help, i can't take it anymore, and I'm not usually a complainer.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

im a 22 yr old female I had a baby 13 moos ago and I have numbness on the outside of one of my toes. Last night I was walking around the city with boots I had never worn before and my feet were killing me. Today all foot pain is gone but now my big toe is numb mostly on the outside. I don't have diabetes I do however have bunions which I've had forever..Idk why the numbness out of nowhere. I have not been to a doctor and the state of IL Medicaid no longer covers for a podiatriat unless your a diabetic.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What everyone is experiencing is rampant in the treeplanting industry and is referred to as 'Christmas Toe'. Planters will use their feet to clear foliage on the ground in order to plant the tree. The constant use of your foot causes your big toe to go numb (The outside of the toe). Tree planting happens in summer and its not until Christmas 4 - 6 months later that you start to feel your toe again.

I did a few seasons of planting and had Christmas Toe each year. If I stay off my feet the feeling in my toe comes back however since I have stopped planting if I do a lot of running I will often get it back.

I have no idea why it happens but if you are doing lots on your feet I am sure it is an overuse symptom. If you don't do a lot it could be a circulatory issue and I would get it checked out.

But honestly don't sweat it because there are literally thousands of people who get this that plant each and every year!