1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Iselin's Disease

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My 11 year old daughter is a competitive swimmer who has been diagnosed with Iselin's disease, which is similar to Sever's disease but at the base of her 5th metatarsal. I have tried to find out about it on the internet but there is very little about it, mainly repeats of the same information. At the moment she has on a removable walking cast which she must wear for weight bearing but can take off at night. She has had this for 3 weeks during which time the pain has reduced to an ache, disappeared, returned as an ache , returned as a pain, and reduced to an ache with no particular pattern or identifiable triggers (i.e. it is as likely to start hurting whilst she is sitting doing nothing, as when she is walking about). My daughter is keen to return to her swimming, which theoretically shouldn't be a problem, but which did make her foot hurt more before the cast went on. We have an appointment to see a physio once her cast is removed, but the physio has never come across this condition before either. Does anyone have any experience of this condition that they could share with me, particularly around whether the pain ever went away completely (before growth was complete), and what treatments helped. Thanks - UK mum

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doctor. Thanks for trying to be helpful, and so quickly. As it happens this is the same info that the consultant at the hospital gave me (who hadn't come across a patient with the condition either)- and I think it is the best information around, but it doesn't quite seem to be matching with my daughter's experiences which is why I hoped that this forum might uncover others who had encountered it, to see if their experiences had more in common with my daughter's. If you haven't come across it either then maybe it just is an uncommon complaint. Always likes to be different, my daughter! UK Mum

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello my daughter has Iselins Disease. She has had it since she was 5 and is now 13. We found the more she is in sports the more it will swell common sense whe have seen Surgeons at chop in pa and various doctors. They can put pins in a fuse the growth plate but they will have to remove them and the Surgeon did not think this was the best option either. We ice the foot when it swells, put the cast on and keep her off of it as much as posssible when it swell because if it breaks surgery is the only answer.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I know my daughter too! We are working on trying to see the doctor again this week. We are in the middle of a flare up and it has lasted a week in pain and with the boot on. The only concern I have the last x ray showed the growth plates are fused appox 90 percent and it is still swelling. I read a article that said they could have this up until age 18 to 19 that really concerns me. I know that hospitals that specialize in Childern really have some good ideas about this but then once there treatments don't work I am stuck. Keep me posted and I will let you know what the new doctor says.

PA MOM

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 12 year old son, who plays basketball, has Iselin's and Sever's. When we discovered the Iselin's, he had actually broken the growth plate at the base of his baby toe. He was in a walking boot 24/7 (slept in it but could bathe without it). He was out of sports, by doctor's order, for 6 weeks. The doctor said that he needed this extended time to heal. This was December of 2008. He started playing basketball again immediately after that and has had no problems since then. I hope that helps.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 9 year old daughter was just diagnosed with Iselin's disease. I had never heard of such a thing. She complained of a small growth on the lateral side of her right foot, painful to touch, but initially had little trouble with walking and playing sports. Then the pain got worse with activity, better at rest. Since there was no swelling, redness or pain with movement, I wasn't concerned about a fracture, so we kept an eye on it. It got worse with activity after playing soccer, so our Foot and Ankle Physician took an xray and it looked fractured at the base of the 5th metatarsal, when in fact he told me this was Iselin's. He said she could try to continue activity but if it got worse , he would have to boot or cast her. It did get worse after soccer again, and he had us boot it. She'll have to have it for a month for now. So we'll see what happens. I don't know if we jumped the gun at immobilization, but I figure do what is best for the child and the growth of her foot--I don't want any regrets if we didn't do anything. Anyone else have any other advice?
    Sue

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Have you read the information on the site which I referenced in my first reply in this thread?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My 8 yrs daughter is diagnosed with the same Islen's disease. She fall from the swing two months back. But few days back it was diagnosed that she is suffering from Islen's disease.
    The doctor has not given her any treatment.We were told that it will go in two years.
    I am worried because there is pain in her legs and foot.Isn't there any treatment or physiotherapy for it.
    If anyone knows plz keep me updated