1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big toenail stopped growing, mild pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    About a month ago I noticed a slight pain around my left big toenail when it was under pressure. I removed the nail polish I had on, and the nail looked normal but I thought there might have been slight swelling in the skin around the nail. As far as I can remember, there hasn't been any trauma that could have caused this and I don't wear tight shoes. I've been keeping an eye on it and haven't seen any visible changes and the pain is not worse, but I just noticed that all of my other nails have grown while this one hasn't. There is still some very slight swelling around the sides and base of the nail, but the skin and nail are their normal color and there's no heat, pus, or other signs of infection. The pain is not any worse and I only notice if I put pressure on the nail or the skin around it. I haven't done anything for it besides removing the nail polish.

I feel kind of silly going to a doctor for something this little, since the pain is barely noticeable and it isn't causing problems in other areas of my life, but the fact that the nail has stopped growing for apparently no reason seems weird. Has anyone experienced something like this before? At what point should I take it to a doctor?

Almost forgot: I'm a 22 year old woman in Georgia, USA.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have just noticed the same thing happening to my big toe. The pain is mild and I chalked it up to perhaps wearing boots that were on the tighter side, but I mean...they weren't THAT tight ya know? After a few weeks of only wearing loose shoes and sandals, it didn't get any better. I have recently also become concerned because the nail on my big toe has stopped growing and I have trimmed the rest of them at least 3 times.

I too, have just slight pain that only hurts when pressure is applied and minimal swelling near the cutical and on the outside edge of the toe. I did not injure the toe or wear any shoes that I haven't worn a million times before with no problems. The nail looks totally normal and there are no signs of infection.

I would also like to avoid going to the doctor if at all possible.

I'm going to try a few good soaks in Epsom salts. Old fashioned I know, but it's good for joint pain so we'll see! I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm a 30 year old woman in California.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I can't believe I googled this and found these remarks, because I am having the same problem. I am hoping to go to see a doctor though because I am fearful it is the onset of a toe infection / fungus (even though no visible signs). I had a similar pain a few years ago and that is what it ended up being. I have been sleeping with socks due to the winter so I hope that didn't cause it. I also got a pedicure from a new place before New Years Eve and it started after that (maybe started after a few weeks after the pedi). I just soaked my feet in a solution of white vinegar / warm water (1:1). I am going to try that for a few days because that helps against infection.

Please let me know if you go to a doctor and learn more. Thanks.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the same problem , on December 31 i did a pedicure at home and everything was fine. A couple of weeks after I was about to do another pedicure when I noticed that my big toenail of my left foot didn't growth at all and had a yellowish color on the top only! I cut the rest of the nails and leave them with out nail polish to keep checking on the nail color... some weeks after the nail hasn't growth ... and the pain was a bit worse ... the cuticle and sides were inflamed and the toe looked funny, i went to the doctor yesterday and he prescribed Lamisil for a fungus infection :( ... Hopefully this will help to my problem and to yours. However, inflamation is not a bad sign without inflammation, wounds and infections would never heal.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

In response to the OP, the same EXACT thing is happening to me! Only on my right big toe. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the polish? I have never had problems with putting polish on my toenail before... I'm confused. I know it's not a fungal infection because I know what they look like. This is just weird.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow! I too, have been looking through Google and have the exact same symptoms. The one that stands out especially is the swollen (slightly) area near the cuticle. I have noticed my nail is not growing, but I was worried about an ingrown toenail, or one that is somehow "stuck" and therefore the pain under the cuticle area. Has anyone had any resolve to this matter? Did you have to see a podiatrist? Please tell me it does go away?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there, same problem here. =( I read the comments but no solution came up. Or i should just buy an antifungus cream? Sorry, english is not my native. I'm pretty concerned since it won't grow for months and basically i have the exact same symptoms as everbody else. :S

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow, I have the same problem but it is my 2 big toes. They have both stopped growing for over 3 months now. The pain is not bad if I wear sandals but if I wear inclosed shoes the pressure really hurts. Both of my Toes have a line going across, it looks like a cut mark. Just on top it is not all the way through. I also would like to know what is going on.
    Thanks
    Yoli

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same exact problem.. my left big toenail has not grown..my toes always have polish and you can see how much the other toenails have grown by the nail polish growing out and my left big toenail is the same as when I had my pedicure..so odd. I do have some very mild pain near the cuticle.
    If anyone has money for a copay..can you please have this checked out, lol...

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

**update**
    I've started to put a bit of tea tree oil on my cuticle before I go to bed and this has taken care of ALL my minor pain and swelling. Keep in mind that my symptoms were very mild to begin with though. It took about 5 days to work. The toenail still hasn't grown, but I'm optimistic. At least for now I can go back to wearing any shoes I want with no discomfort!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same problem with my big toe. Did the tea tree oil work?

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm sorry you're all having this problem too but I'm happy to see it's not just me!

I have the slight swelling and discomfort around the cuticle. I also have a cut right where the nail stopped growing. I've done Epsom salt soaks twice over the last week and haven't noticed any change in the swelling, the redness, or the sensitivity. Think I'm heading to the doctor...

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Similar problem. Wore boots to the mall in January for about 4 hrs. I came home & both of my big toes hurt. Not bad, but enough. Weeks went by & my toes stayed sore. I then noticed my nails turning yellow after I removed the polish & my nail beds were red & swollen.

Not wanting my toes to fall off, I went to the dr. She said at worst, my toenails will fall off. She is probably right. One of my nails have stopped growing & they both are lifting up & getting loose! I just hope a new nail grows back before the old ones fall off! I put alcohol on my toes after I shower so it gets under the nail to dry it out. I have out some triple antibiotic cream on them as well if I notice the skin around my nail getting red.

Hopefully I won't get a fungus, or an infection under my nails before they grow out.

Damn shoes!

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had this problem as well and mine was an ingrown toenail. Sometimes the pain isn't really bad like you would think is what my podiatrist said. You should go to the podiatrist.

15. evahnna

evahnna Guest

Same problem here. Left big toenail stopped growing and mild pain at the cuticle area. The only additional symptom for me is that my toenail has taken on an ever so slightly greenish tinge... while all the other remain clear and healthy looking. I didn't want to go to the doctor over something so small. I've tried fungal treatment just to rule that out as well as soaking in vinegar and listerine based on some advice I read online. Nothing has worked yet.

Please let me know if any of you figure out what's going on and how to treat it! :)

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So we all have this problem, but no one knows why? Mine started about 4-5 years ago and had the mild pain, however now they don't hurt but stop growing and seem to alternate. When they do start growing again there is a distinct line of old and new nail meeting, as the old nail gets toward the end I can actually peel it off and the edge of the new nail remains, like it's clearly a totally new nail. It's not gross or painful at all, my primary care doctor just shrugged her shoulders, we know its not bacterial, and it does not look fungal, I have no trauma and wear comfortable shoes with a spacious toe box... It seems many people deal with this but there are no answers about what it is.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Fungal infections guys. Google it. In the meantime, vix.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the exact saroblem,and alot of pain, I do soak in epsom salts every day and I am trying to keep it from getting infected.... really do I need to go to a Docter...Help !!

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The tea tree oil totally worked for me. I put it on every night for about 2 months. Pain stopped within a few days and a new nail started to grow out about a month later. It's been about 6 months and the old nail is almost completely grown out. New nail looks fine. Cuticle looks great.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one! Same symptoms: little or no growth, line across the nail between healthy nail and "bad", thickened nail, sensitivity at the cuticle, slight yellowish color on the "bad" half of the nail. The only difference is that my cuticle sensitivity seems to come and go. I can go about 3-4 months with a normal nail bed and cuticle (even if the previous damaged nail hasn't grown out yet) but then all of a sudden it's like my nail is being pushed back into my nail bed. My cuticle gets very tender and my nail appears shorter in my nail bed even though I haven't cut it. The tenderness seems to last about 1-2 months before it suddenly disappears. It never grows as fast as the rest of them even when it's healthy.

So what I'm gathering is that I can try tea tree oil (which I happen to have in my house already) and seriously consider scheduling an appointment with a doctor.