1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Annoying foot itch

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    i have the very same problem but mine usually happens when i lay down (night or day), usually it is one foot mainly and only the arch, i do not buy the shoe explanation, it is very strange as well as annoying, since you posted this, have you been able to figure it out?
    jane

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You know, the "Me Too's" sometimes helps, just knowing you're not the only one.

But I also have this issue. It's my left foot and the itch is right at the inside arch and it drives me mad! You can find me standing on our carpeted stairs rubbing my foot on the edge until I get rug burn. It's not constant, it comes and goes. I haven't found a pattern but it has been going on for years - I don't remember the beginning. Today it was especially annoying, so I did a search and here I am throwing in my "Me Too".

Apparently there is no cure, and no doctor has any idea why this is. So I'll just continue itching . . .

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If there is no skin swelling or inflammation, skin eruption, skin color changes or other skin manifestation which accompany the itching, then it can be assumed to be of nerve origin. But itching in general is a poorly understood phenomenon, and especially if it is random, sporadic and seemingly unassociated with any other event, it is often difficult or impossible to diagnose the cause much less offer a cure. But counter-irritants such as menthol and even topical medications such as capsaicin might help, although capsacicin sometimes cannot be tolerated because of its burning effect.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem and have tried so many creams until i tried staphAseptic. you see a lot infections are antibiotic resistant and staphAseptic is not and antibiotic so it should work and the best thing about it is you can buy it over the counter its about $20 . good luck all.

5. jumpercable

jumpercable New Member

I have the same problem with the itch, it seems to help soaking in warm water with chlorine bleach. It also makes your feet look and feel really clean. I would feel somewhat odd taking the problem to my family doctor and I am pretty sure he would be at a loss to help. Most creams do not work. But when it itches I just want to cut the section of itching skin out. Maybe I'll go to the farmers market and pick up an Aloe plant, they work wonders. Ice packs work well too, if you make the area too numb to itch.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It is unlikely that I will dissuade this poster from using chlorine bleach on his/her feet, but for other who might be reading this, bleach should never be used in this manner and such use is potentially harmful to the skin and tissues. Don't do it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

treatment that works

For over five years I've had the same problem with a foot itch that everyone else on this site is talking about. The itch comes and goes, is on only one foot, and is in the arch area. It was really bad for the last 2 months, to the point of my skin almost being raw from scratching all of the time.

Sometimes it felt like a cluster of chigger bites all in one spot. Well, for chigger bites the home remedy is to put a dab of nail polish remover over the bite because it cuts off oxygen to the chigger under your skin and kills it. I'm not saying that the foot itch is caused by bugs or fungus because I don't know, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try a similar method.

So I decided to try super glue on my foot because it would totally cut off oxygen to the skin and would stay on for a while. So I spread a thick layer over the entire area and left it on until if flaked off on it's own (3-4 days). It actually worked. It really did. I'm actually amazed and impressed that it worked so well. Try it yourself, you've got nothing to lose.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I am 26 and just recently have screwed up my back somehow by herniating a disc which is pinching the sciatic nerve in my left leg. My foot never itched before this, but it's been pretty intermittent since the back injury. My time now is 4:17am, and the only reason I am up now is that my two toes on the edge of my left foot are itching so bad that I keep scratching until the skin is raw... then I soak my left foot in cold water. It does not seem to help any though. I am assuming mine has something to do with my recent back injury, since they told me I have nerve damage in my left leg. When you post please let us know if you have any pinched nerves.

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although I seriously doubt that itching of the foot would result as a solitary symptom of sciatic nerve compression, it certainly would be the case that any itch, pain or sensation mediated by a nerve problem proximal to the site of aberrant sensation would not be mitigated by local treatment of the affected part such as scratching or soaking.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

For 30 years (!) the edges of my feet itch like crazy whenever my feet are warm. At the beach or under the covers, they itch and itch, with no visible redness or skin irritation. Wish I could find a cure!

11. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The cause of itching in lieu of physical manifestations can be very difficult to uncover. If you have suffered this for 30 years and have found neither reason nor treatment, it is unlikely that anyone could come up with an answer to your problem without even the ability to examine you.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i TOO HAVE PAINFUL, BURNING ITCHING ON MY LEFT FOOT ONLY. AT TIMES i AM NEAR TEARS SCRATCHING FOR RELIEF. i IMMERSE MY FOOT IN WARM WATER AND USE A STIFF BRISTLED BRUSH TO SCRATCH THIS PAINFUL AREA. EVENTUALLTY i RESORT TO BENADRYL FOR RELIEF. tHIS DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN BUT, WHEN IT DOES I COULD TEAR THE SKIN OFF MY FOOT. i DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR IT THAT'S WHY i AM SURFING THE WEB LOOKING FOR ANSWERS.

13. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    As Benadryl is an antihistiminic, if it really relieves it as you state, it would likely be an allergic reaction or perhaps a contact intolerance of some sort. If there is some sort of eruption associated with it, see a dermatologist.

14. I thought I was going crazy. I have been having the same problem for the past 3 years. I have been to the Dr. and he only gave me some pills for itching that dont work they just make me go to sleep. Like you it feels like there are bugs or worms crawling in the ball of my right foot. Every night I find myself scratching and trying to dig into my foot because the itch is so intense it becomes painful. I notice the itching isn't as bad in the winter but in the summer months when I am wearing sandals and flip flops it gets worse. I thought it was do to dryness so I have tried lotions. I thought it was maybe a fungus, but I have tried Triactin, Lotromin, Gold Bond and several other creams and sprays. They only act as a temporary relief of maybe 5-10 minutes and then the itching starts again. This problem is strange because it only is in one centralized area and has been going on for a few years now. I have even tried scraping the skin and pouring alcohol on the area and of course all that does is burn and then the itiching continues. I am so frustrated I want this to stop immediately. If anyone else out there has any suggestions, please let me know.

Sincerely

Frustrating Itch

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had the foot itch for about 7 years. It can be in either foot at several locations. I have talked to many Drs. and none know what it is. I just had an MRI of my back which showed a few problems but none directly related to the feet. Sometimes it feels like a shock about every 20 to 30 seconds. Started out lasting about 10 mins. but now lasts about an hour. The only relief I get is using a vibrating massager. I put my foot on it and the vibration seems to override the itch or shock. Mine is usually at night. Two of my sons have the same problem but not as severe as mine yet.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear Joanne and others:
    I empathize with your daughter's condition. I think she could be allergic to the materials in the shoes that she may be wearing. I had a allergic reaction to Crocs, those plasticy looking type of shoes and I had never worn them before. I'm a bit sensitive to certain chemicals, and materials I guess.

I'd try different shoes and see what happens.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

got me a couple screwed up lower vertebrae
    had the 'itch' since - middle of arch
    my right big toe is huge from the workout it gets
    it comes and goes and can be irritating
    it's here now

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had this itch for years, and to make a long story short tried all but the bleach and crazy glue above. Then one November I went to Ft. Walton for a Thanksgiving vacation. I walked along the pristine, white sandy beach every morning and ever evening barefoot as the clear blue/green waves slapped over my feet. It was cold but was nonetheless invigorating. About a week later, I realized that the itch had packed up and gone out into the Gulf. :D

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doc, I'm sorry but you seem to be very "cold" what is your degree really? To tell that grandmother that maybe its all in her grandaughter head is unsensitive. We all obviously have an intense issue with this problem and to tell all of us hear to stop posting the "me too's" is insensitive. Its a comfort to know other people are suffering from the same issue, to see what others have tried, to come up with new questions for our doctors ect... I read on another board that someones doctor had told them it might be the syndrom of were acuall thread fibers are found in the skin, I'm sorry I can't recall the name of this syndrom. This itch is so intense and disturbs my sleep each and every night reading other posts gives me hope that I will find some relief.

20. Dodie

Dodie Guest

Mine is caused from lower back pain and sciatica problems.