1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Annoying foot itch

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had an itch for several years on the bottom of only one foot (on my arch). A podiatrist said it is caused by pressure near the ankle bone from some shoes. It comes and goes, but lately I have not been wearing closed in shoes (mostly sandals) and I still have this itch. I keep wondering if something else is going on. I have to take a back-scratcher to it for almost a full minute to get any relief. It is not fungal, it is not anywhere else on my feet, I always put lotion on my feet after I wash them, there is no pain involved and I don't have diabetes.
    I take good care of my feet but cannot figure out this annoying itch. Has anyone ever heard of this??
    Thanks. Liz

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Based on the information you've given, I would have to take issue with your podiatrist's diagnosis of nerve irritation at the level of the ankle causing the problem. It would not only be very unlikely that such irritation would cause itching, but the fact that direct scratching of the site of itching with the back scratcher relieves the itch temporarily would seem to indicate that the locus of the cause is local to the area and not remote, such as at the ankle level. In addition, you indicate that there is itching when wearing a sandal which certainly should not cause ankle-level irritation of the sensory nerves to the plantar of the foot. It is often unclear as to why itching occurs in the absence of visible local skin manifestations, and without an examination and detailed history I cannot suggest a proximate cause, though topical application of counter-irritantants such as menthol containing preparation might help.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear Foot Doc,

Thank you for your reply. I tend to agree with you and just don't see how it could be related to pressure on my ankle. I have tried anti-itch creams to no avail. I will explore it a little further. It is more of an annoyance than anything, but sometimes it can make me crazy and I would like to get rid of it. A second look by another podiatrist may be a good idea.

Thanks again for your time. Liz

4. I have the same foot problem. An annoying itch under the arch below my right big toe. It gets worse but then goes away for a while if I scratch it hard with an old brush. It sounds like the same thing but I am wondering if it had to do with radiation or chemo therapy. Three years ago I couldn't walk at all because of tumours on my spine. I thought it may have been a side effect of some treatment.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem on my right foot but mine is directly on the arch. It started a few days ago and it is driving me nuts. I had worn sandles all week but on Friday wore socks and tennis shoes. I thought maybe my shoe was too tight, sock etc, but after taking those off the problem still presist. I also, take very, very good care of my feet. I've tried OTC anti-itch creams and also a medicated foot poweder. That worked only for a while. Scratching it only relieves the itching temporarily. To me it feels like something is crawling on my foot but itching is the only way I can describe it. If ANYONE out there has any additional advice, PLEASE reply. This is so nerve racking!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had the same problem which started over a year ago. I went to a podiatrist and he gave me some anti-itch steroid cream and it only works as a bandaid. After a few hours its starts to itch again. He thought I was quite nuts when I said that it feels like bugs our crawling inside my foot and it gets to the point that it feels bruised from scratching it so hard. On my left foot its on the side of the arch and on my right foot it is right about the heel just below the arch. It went away during the summer and now it's back in full force. They can't seem to find the problem and it's driving me nuts. Any input would be appreciated!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i got a wierd itch on the bottom of my left foot bellow the little toe during pregnancy.i thought it was due to the water retention but my daughter is now eight months old and the itch is still there.I usually sit rubbing my foot on the carpet. its really annoying and i would love to know what it is causing it or if it will ever go away.Any one out there with any ideas?

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having the same problem too! I noticed it about a month ago when I was in bed and started itching my foot. I would stop and then it would itch again. So I would scratch it again...etc. It really only seems to itch a couple times throughout the day. It's not constant. But often enough that it is annoying. I really would hate to go to the dr over this...but after reading the other post it doesn't seem like the dr can do much. Any advice from someone else who was able to solve this problem would be great!!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem!!! I've been dealing with it for about 5 years now. Only my left foot itches and it sometimes spreads from the arch to the heel and other times it spreads to my toes. I've also noticed that stress level and heat trigger the itch. I've consulted several doctors and still have no idea what is causing the itch.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same problem here but it seems to me and this is my case, i have lower back pain and when my back is really hurting me and it seems to go down my leg, then my foot starts to itch in the arch i was wondering if the back pain can cause this maybe a nerve or something like that .seems to be less on days my back isnt hurting as much. it drives me crazy!!

11. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Itching is a phenomena which is poorly understood, but it is certainly possible that conditions which activate pain receptors could also have an effect on whatever pathways are responsible for itching. On the other hand, the coincidence may be just that in your case.

In a probably unsuccessful attempt to put a cap on this entire thread which has been going on unproductively for some time with only the ubiquitous "me too's," I would suggest that itching is generally either the result of some local tissue reaction, often evidence by some local and topical physical changes, or by some nerve irritation, disorder or confused pathway or perception. Beyond looking into those situations, it is probably beating a dead horse to continue to post "me too's."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. WSOADY

WSOADY Guest

OK, I won’t say me too. I have had this problem for 10 years+. There is an approximately ¾ inch diameter spot below my big toe center line of the right foot. After years of experimenting with various surface and sub dermal ideas it definitely appears to be have a neurological cause.

I have seen several doctors over the years that have tried topical ointments and freezing the area to remove any possible wart. After 2-3 weeks the itch reappears. I have also tried exfoliating on a daily basis to the point of removing as many layers of skin as possible without making the spot raw. After this I would apply ointment. This will work for a day but in most cases only a couple of hours. I have also tried salicylic acid to remove the skin to almost a raw condition and it comes back.

This is also driving me crazy. The only thing left I can try is to try to damage the nerve ending that is causing the itch, even though I could not do this by freezing or other techniques. Some time ago an associate told me that her mother had to have a benign tumor removed from the bottom of her foot. The only symptom she had was constant itch. She mentioned that this was a somewhat common occurrence. I have never been able to find any reference material for this.

Got to go… I have an itch…

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have itching on both feet and toes top and bottom and calves of both legs in the evening after undressing day clothes and showering and/or putting on night clothes. I found that Witch Hazel solution helps some. Witch Hazel is available at most pharmacys and Wal-Mart and is cheap. Looks like water. I think there is the possibility that maybe the pores of the skin are opening and suseptable to any sweating or residual soap from showering etc.
    The itch creams do not help much. Maybe the Witch Hazel solution helps close the pores of the skin to seal outside irritants. Who knows?

14. TuesGal

TuesGal Guest

After my shower today, not only the soles and tops of my feet were itching, but also up to one ankle. I'm looking into Aquagenic pruritus.

15. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It is itching caused by contact with water, generally not accompanied by a skin eruption.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This thread is amazing. I was under the impression that i was the only one with this problem. I have had an itch in my right arch for years. There is no bacteria, no infections. Nothing. I have seen the podiatrist, internist and dermatologist. They can't figure out what it is. I recently saw my neighbor who happens to be a nuerologist and he thought perhaps restless leg syndrome, when i told him that I had no symptoms for that illness, he thought that it may be a nerve problem from my back.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have a small itch on the side of my pinky toe that I have been dealing with for at least 12 years. I was surprised to read another poster who said that their itch went away in the summer and is now back. I have noticed over the past few years that mine will go away around June and then start bothering me again around November... My guess is that it is a nerve ending causing the proplem. Someone recently suggested to me that Botox might temporarily releive it.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have had this problem, on both feet, for about 5 years now. I have related it to wearing tennis shoes. Since I wore tennis shoes for years, and never had a problem, it took me about a year of intermittant itching to figure out the connection. I thought it might be the socks, but I have tried 100% cotton, and it didn't make a difference. I have bought several new pairs of tennis shoes, all Rebok Walking Shoes, and I am beginning to wonder if they changed their materials, and I am sensitive to something in the shoes themselves. I have tried all kinds of creams, it isn't an infection of any kind. They are the worst when I get in the shower in the morning, the hot water seems to set the bottoms of my feet on fire. And scratching makes them itch even more. It almost feels like I am trying to scratch an itch that is deeper than skin. I have to scratch with a lot of pressure. Then, after a few days of not wearing tennis shoes, the itch slowly fades, and doesn't come back until I wear tennis shoes again! Unfortunately, tennis shoes are what I need to wear when my lower back hurts, so, I am still trying to solve the problem. Sorry for the late post, and the me too, but I thought my specific experience might help someone else.

19. Joanne

Joanne New Member

I am so pleased to find this site. My poor little daughter age 5 has this problem and we just don't know what to do. It started last summer and has come back again this year.
    We thought it was a grass allergy as we noticed she was up in the night when she'd been on grass in the day, in and out of paddling pool etc.
    But yesterday she was in her crocs in the garden and still woke up at 12.30 with the terrible itch.
    I've been to docs twice with this and they look at me like I'm mad. One doc gave her a steroid the other an anti allergy medicine.
    Her feet itch on the bootom of her foot at the base of her toes and between her toes. She rubs them madly on the carpet - it can be either foot. She is frantic and crying.
    Please someone have an answer for me - we just don't know where to go next.:confused:

20. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Unless there are visible skin abnormalities when the itching occurs it is more than likely either neuropathic or psychological/hysterical. Has her pediatrician been consulted had any comment?