1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was wondering if anyone out there had ORIF surgery of 5th metatarsal and later, after it healed, had their plate and intramedullary screw removed. My metal is bothering me. I couldn't find anywhere on the internet where they did so with the 5th metatarsal. If so how long after ORIF surgery was it removed. Thanks for any answers

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

im screw removal after fifth metatarsal break....I was told at least four monthes after
    properly healed.......anyone told something else? I'd like mine out now...still
    have towait until April.....:-(

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just had mine removed one week ago. When I got the original surgery done, the surgeon had to use a washer along with the screw due to the size of the fragment. He told me that it might bother me, and he was right. It was a pretty quick procedure to remove it. It already feels much better. My original surgery was about six months ago.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had an ORIF in 2001 for my 5th metatarsal fx with a plate and 6 screws. Tomorrow morning I am having the hardware removed due to constant foot pain during winter and changing months. This is a annoying pain that my Dr says will go away when the hardware is removed. Good luck to you !

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke mine March 18. I had surgery April 18. My removal is set up for next month. im sooooo ready for it to come out i just want the pain to stop

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm the person who started this thread. Finally in two weeks I'm going to have the plate and screws removed. Almost a year to the day from when I fractured my foot in July 2011. I will also have a tendon graft and an avulsion fracture of my lateral process of the talus repaired. The later two things I only recently found I had injured.

The only advice I can give someone and know that I am 100 percent correct about is that if a person is unfortunate enough to have an injury to your ankles or feet, that justifies seeing a doctor, they should make an appointment to see a highly qualified and highly recommended DOCTOR OF PODIATRY... ASAP. If I had done that one thing within a week of my injury it would have made all the difference. Not a Family Doctor and not an Orthopedic Doctor either.

I bet 99 out of 100 orthopedic doctors, if they had an injury to their ankles or feet, would go to a Podiatrist. That it....I'm done!

Heal Fast!

7. I have 4th and 5th metatarsal screws and rods. I was told I would have to wait 12 months after surgery before having them removed.

8. Spinson7746

Spinson7746 Guest

I had a Jones facture of the right fifth metatarsal and had a plate and four screws put in. My break healed beautifully (surgery done by Podietry Surgeon - highly recommend). When the cast came off after four weeks I was allowed to walk for two weeks with orthopedic shoe an crutches for two more weeks. I developed a Morton's Neuroma and given an alcohol injection (NEVER DO) and had horrible pain at the neuroma site and break site. After five months of no relief and unable to wear a normal shoe went to Orthopedic Surgeon who wanted to remove the neuroma and told me plate could not come out for one year. Went back to original podiatry surgeon for follow up appointment and just had plate and screws removed and pray this will cure the nerve damage. When the plate and screws give you pain...GET IT OUT!!!

9. Deniseb

Deniseb Guest

Hi All. I found myself searching endlessly through message boards and various sites trying to find some type of expectation for hardware removal. Everyone is different, but here is my story. It may help you!

May 2014: I sprained my ankle with such force that I also broke my fith metatarsal. This happened while playing soccer. I had a screw put in and I was NWB for 10 weeks. I started walking near the end of July 2014 and started PT. After 8 weeks of PT I began easing back into walking, jogging, biking and volleyball. Over the course of 6 months I had a very sharp, intense pain at my fracture site. it seemed like it came with every activity I did. it eventually got to the point where the pain would randomly come and go while walking and being on my feet at work with the no additional sports activity. There were days when I could not put weight on my foot. That's what prompted me to go for a second opinion. A new surgeon. He advised that my bone did not heal at all. Nonunion. He was surprised that i had not heard not from the first surgeon. I wanted to avoid surgery. So I tried more PT and additional steroid injections. Nothing worked. So I opted for hardware removal.

Surgery was a breese. In and out. because i had a nonunion, the hardware was removed, the piece of broken bone was removed and the peroneal tendon was reattached to the remaining part of my fifth metatarsal. Due to the tendon repair, Recovery was painful. After the first 1.5 weeks I felt great, for the most part. And that brings me to today. It's almost been 2 weeks since the surgery. I will have been NWB for a total of 4 weeks. I will then continue to wear my walking boot for another 2. Then I will do 6-8 weeks of PT and full recovery will be about 4-5 months.

I am hoping this is the last of it!

10. giuli81

giuli81 New Member

Hi all!! Hope you'll answer me... I just got my removal ( 5 metatarsal bone too) after 1 year cause doctor thought that the bone wasn't ready sooner.... the day after surgery pain is even more then when it was broken... Is it normal? Doctor says that i cannot walk with it for 2 weeks...When did you start walk again? How long did you have strong pain after surgery? My orif almost didn't disturbe me at all, i wonder if it was the right choice to remove it...

11. giulicca

giulicca Guest

Hi all, for how long did you have some mild pain on the foot after orif removal??? (5 metatarse too) Does it mean I have to relax it when pain get a little higher? it's my left foot and also driving make it suffer a little bit...
    I had removal surgery almost 20 days ago...