1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Itchy, Red, Swollen, Painful to walk on foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by stevesmiff, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Bc_9865

Bc_9865 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm only fourteen, and this has been happening to me for about two years now. I'm not necessarily overweight or out of shape, but I could definitely work out more often. I've noticed that the pain is usually in the first joints of my toes, they occasionally hurt to the touch, and the problem occurs in both feet. The one thing that annoys me most about this is that the foot that is having the problem gets warm/hot internally, and I can't cool it down. Doctors have sent me for blood work, an MRI, and multiple x-ray images to no avail. I believe the next logical step is to schedule an appointment to be evaluated by a podiatrist.

2. stevesmiff

stevesmiff New Member

Hi all,

I've not posted here for a while so thought I'd better update things.

It seems a lot of new people have arrived here with foot/toe/joint issues that are maybe slightly similar but definitely not the same. If you aren't experiencing the same symptoms as explained at the start of the thread, it may be more helpful to start your own thread explaining your exact symptoms for a more beneficial response.

I have now not suffered from any symptoms for over 1.5 years and the only common factor I can see is the fact I have completely stopped taking NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Aspirin, etc.).

It's hard as Ibuprofen was my painkiller of choice as Paracetamol doesn't really help me too much. Thankfully I've not had many requirements for it recently. Will continue to see how it goes.

3. mitchelle

mitchelle Guest

Steve, i have the same symptoms...... i'm actually experiencing it right now, its red, itchy swollen and painfull to walk.... not sure what it is but i've notice that today i took off my socks to go to sleep and i woke up to go to the restroom acouple hrs later and it happended.... i took benadryl thinking it might of been an insect bite or a reaction but its not helping.. i agree with your last post due to the symptoms not being the same as what we're experiencing.... if you run into any update please let me know... txs

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Kidney disease??? I wouldn't know about that, but I have had all of these symptoms with cellulitis being my Dr.'s diagnosis in my case. My Dr. treated it with Vancomycin - which worked... However, it seems like the more frequently it occurs, the more susceptible you become to it... Good luck

5. Kay

Kay Guest

Hi
    I have had sudden bouts of itchy sore swollen feet. Walking first thing in the morning is agonizing. I cannot go to work during attacks it usually only lasts a few days. I live in a tropical climate no sign of a rash. These attacks used to be very frequent started in my early 20s. I was diagnosed with celiac disease at 33(when the feet attacks first started I had no digestive symptoms.) Symptoms of celiacs for me were heart burn, stomach pain, bloated guts and lots of wind with the diagnoses of celiacs I went gluten and dairy free all digestive symptoms disappeared. The feet were intermittent and I had not associated them with diet, funnily enough my feet stopped ruining my life at the same time. I am now 45 have had probably 4 attacks in 10 years. Until a month ago, I have now had 3 attacks in less than 30 days. I am thinking it might be the vitamin supplements I brought. Nothing has ever come back in a blood test. But I think my feet symptoms come from an irritated gut. I have noticed with the last 3 attacks a horrible metallic taste in my mouth and heart burn. Sore feet are not associated with celiac disease as far as I know. But for me they were the first presenting symptom. Try tinkering with your diet.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have this at the moment. I've been getting this for a few years now. Ibuprofen seems to make it worse. I'm a teacher and it's not fun standing all day. Has anyone looked into the possibility of urticaria? Contact dermatitis?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I'm 15 and this has happened to me a couple times within the last couple months. My toes get super itchy and then swell up, especially around the joints and after a couple days the itching goes away but the toes still a little swollen. I'm not sure what this is or what's causing it but ...
    It is the winter in the Midwest (I haven't had this problem in summer)
    I have had planters warts before
    And my feet sometimes sweat (which seems to be when this occurs)

Any suggestions, tips, or solutions? Since the itching is keeping me up until midnight on a school night!!!

8. popo

popo Guest

This happened to me this winter. But the swelling and itchi has stop now.

Things that i did

is not to eat fatty foods and any beans or legumes or peanut you name them all and taking a vitamin c.
    By taking vitamin c (alkaline not acidic) 3x a day (I dont take aspirin or benadryl Or ibuprofen or whatever medice as it is bad for liver)

after a week you will be good as new =P
    hope this help.

btw im a smoker (ironic about the liver thing) And i dont exsercise.

Popo

9. GMG

GMG Guest

I feel everyone's pain....this isn't fun! I have been suffering from Raynaud's for the past 3 years and it comes and goes but I mostly get it during the winter. My podiatrist came to the conclusion that I had raynauds from my symptoms which was cold/numb toes that would be white and sometimes I would see blue and then it would turn red, swollen and itch like crazy!! Right now I have it mainly in my left foot and tomorrow might be my right foot. My doctor said not to wear cotton socks, wear a mixture of fabrics and of course good fitting shoes. I read that gingko biloba helps blood flow which reduces attacks so I'm going to buy some and see what happens. In the summer I'm fine but my feet got messed up looking from this :(

10. Dr. MiMi

Dr. MiMi Guest

It's gout...it's gout... it's gout! It also is a form of arthritis. Unfortunately doctors misdiagnose it all l the time. Symptoms of gout can vary and the location can as well. If you are unsure try this remedy just while you are experiencing a flareup. Avoid completely...caffeine, sugar, red fatty meat. And most importantly alcohol. Drink cherry juice non acidic. Vitamin C non liquid. I know it can be a chore but, try to drink as much H20 as you can (64 to 70 oz). I prefer the more natural remedies such as charcoal tablet for uric acid absorbtion however, Alpuronol (subscription med) works well too. It's a long process but it will eventually do the job. You might want to have your doc check for diabetes which can damage the kidneys... and so on. Good health to you. Dr. MiMi (I'm not really a doctor, I just play one at home and to all my good friends and fortunate family members). I'm never wrong though.

11. moses1433

moses1433 Guest

Bravo Dr. Mimi. It is Gout. I had the same problem for years. Itching, swelling and pain in my foot finger or Toe 3 times a month. I can assure you it is gout that is triggered by something you eat or drink. I used Divido and it worked well. But I was determined to know the cause so I started an elimination diet since 18 months and found that my gout is triggered by fava beans or tea. I stopped both and I am back to normal. No symptoms for the past 6 months without any drug.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My instep, on occasion, will itch beneath the skin and scratching doesn't offer much relief. On both of the last two occasions, I ate Pizza earlier in the evening or at lunch. I read where it may be caused by acid, some of which could be in the tomato sauce on the pizza. I tried controlling with over the counter 1% cortezone and it helped.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Steve,

Hello reading ur post. I am not a Dr. However I worked in the field of nursing for 22 yrs. And now I am a patient. Your Dr should check your labs. Have he look at your Uric Acid level. Rules out gout. Then this one should be checked out from a Cardiologist. There are many factors that this is happening. Yes your young. But ruling out things when it comes to unresolved swelling in out feet, blue colored digits, redness with swelling, sometimes needs a look from a cardiologist. I suffer from PAD, restless leg, CAD, Diabetes, I am a train wreck for Dr.s. The thing is I had my heart attack at 47. Just know this it could be something simple, mild, or complex. Just don't settle for the answer. We don' know. There is a reason they just may have to look in another part of your body for the answer. It's not normal. Good luck to you. Teresa Washington State

14. codyedwardwilliams

codyedwardwilliams New Member

It could be gout

15. Kay

Kay Guest

Steve
    and all others

Ok my final diagnosis was acute intermittent porphyria. I kept having the worst drug reactions trying to stay well enough to work. As i am getting older the attacks became worse. its a blood disorder diagnosed with a urine test. pee in a clear cup during your next attack put it in the sun look for a color changes mine darkens it looks like strong black tea.
    There are different types of porphyria so don't dismiss it until you have found the right links.
    Its mainly treated with diet changes, and avoiding the drugs that make it worse. You live your life to avoid it.
    So if you know its not gout and you have drug reactions probably other symptoms as well seems to be every one has there own unique symptoms pee in a cup and go from there.
    lots of luck guys if this is not the illness for you.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am suffering from this right now and googled the symptoms and returned with erythralalgia. This condition can be a precursor to many other diseases. I'm really just looking for relief. The big toe is very red and splotchy, painful to walk on and now this intense itching near the instep. Just now tried to ice and elevate and took a Benedryl to alleviate the itch.

17. I CARE

I CARE Guest

Look at the symptoms of erythromylalgia. It sounds a lot like what many of you have described. I googled "swollen red itchy feet" and this word came up. Good luck to all!

18. Donald Hoff

Donald Hoff Guest

19. Tiffany

Tiffany Guest

Hey all!
    Ok so I have the same problem, and it started with my feet, except now it will move and has happened in my hands and wrists, biceps area, my ribs which is extremely painful, my knees, and the sides of my stomach!! It is agonizing! I'm only 34 and I feel like my body is falling apart!! I don't even have to really scratch the itch, I can just rub it for a second, and it will swell terribly. Sometimes it will become a very hard patch under the skin! This has only been going on for about 4 months but last week I was admitted to the hospital for a pulmonary embolism(blood clot in my lungs)!!! I asked if all of these symptoms could have been related but the doc was more concerned with getting me stable and said it was a good question for my PCP since he knew my medical history. I swear I feel like I'm close to my last breath with all the medical issues lately, I haven't slept well in the past few days because I'm scared I won't wake up!!! I'm a mom of 2 boys that need me, I got to figure out what's happening to me! I do have a question, are any of you on Adderall? I have been for about 10 months. It wasn't a new med when these symptoms started so I didn't consider it but it could possibly be neurotoxicity from the medicine... I'm going to keep checking back here, good luck all!!

20. Russ

Russ Guest

I have suffered from this for years. It always starts with one part of my foot usually the heal or instep feeling slightly warmer. This intensifies , starts itching and spreads to the rest of the foot/feet and is excruciatingly painful to walk on. It usually occurs in hot weather or if i`m doing prolonged physical activity. I have linked this to dehydration and when I feel the first signs of it coming on I now drink copious amounts of water. This seems to do the trick and stops it going worse.