1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swelling after ankle sprain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I sprained my ankle nearly 6 weeks ago and was soon back to using it in a limited way but to a reasonable degree. I still have constant swelling at the ankle bones and frequently get swelling build up in the lower leg. I use an elestic sock over it and give it frequent rest but do spend considerable time on it and try to use it to exercise it.

How long is it reaonable to expect this swelling to persist?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    An ankle sprain, depending on its grade, can be a serious injury with long-lasting and possibly permanent consequences which can possibly even predispose one to future and even more serious sprains. As you don't mention any professional evaluation, I will assume you had none. Therefore, without any measure as to its grade, the efficacy of your treatment or your general propensity for swelling, it is impossible to offer you any meaningful estimate on which you might rely. Although unwisely delayed, I would recommend that you see an appropriate doctor for an evaluation. If I am mistaken, and you have already seen one, common sense would dictate that he/she should be the one to be asked and answering your questions.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My information was not very complete and obviously that was not helpful - less than 2 days after the accident I was examined by a doctor and the ankle was x-rayed; there was no break evident and I was advised I had done all the right things - foot elevated, well strapped, ice, rest. Because this happened when overseas I cannot go back to the original doctor.

I am fully mobile and the ankle is quite ok with a days work in boots. Just the persistant swelling.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Then without any definitive information upon which to base an accurate answer, your guess would be as good a mine. The "RICE" treatment you were advised is appropriate generic immediate treatment for such sprains, but does not speak to any of the factors which might tend to predict the expected length and degree of swelling. Such would be a function of the severity and type of the injury and your propensity for swelling. As you seem no longer to be under the care of a doctor, I suggest you consult one directly, as the treatment of sprains is not necessarily a do-it-yourself projects, and mistakes made even now may haunt you in the future.

5. JustCurious

JustCurious Guest

@FootDoc: Why did you even post something if all we would read is your disclaimer and not your actual opinion...

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The "doctor" is not saying anything useful at all......

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thanks 'Doc' amazing insight.....

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I agree. Why say anything. If the doctor is afraid of being sued them he/she should not reply to blogs. i have a grade I ankle sprain. This was diagnosed after MRI. Happened after a long run, 10 miles. The injury was insidious without obvious ankle turn or twist.
    Conservative treatment was started with range of motion exercises on day 3, toe raises were started on day 5. On day seven, I tried to run, I am running a marathon in November. The ankle was taped and braced but after 1.5 miles I felt pressure and walked 1.5 miles home. The next morning the ankle was swollen and I had trouble weight bearing due to pain. I began RICE and had an MRI.
    I began exercising the ankle with ROM exercises and toe raises. The pain decreased and on the second week, day 14, I tried running again with tape and stiff brace on the ankle. Again after one mile I quit and walked home. The next day the pain was back. Again I started the rehab adding balance and foot exercises. I have not run, it is now four weeks exactly since the original injury, and I started lower body exercise and strengthening and began cycling.
    When I wear high heels I get mild swelling around the ankle, no pain. I am wondering how long I should wait to run and what else can I/should I do to prevent the persistent swelling? I am worried about losing my conditioning.