1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lump on top of left big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I also looked on this site to find answers re a lump on my right big toe...thank god i live in Australia :) i will go see either the doctor or a podiatrist next week...wont cost too much and I get a medicare refund.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow are doctors getting this RUDE...... I also have a large bump growth on my big toe could be a ganglion cyst, surgery sometimes works, sometimes not... it's a little numb but getting larger .. I envy you living in the mountains away from this concrete jungle.. I wish for the day to also GET AWAY FROM THIS THUNDERDOME... All I want is life beyond this THUNDERDOME. LUCKY YOU ENJOY YOUR LIFE AND DO NOT EVER COME BACK TO HELL....

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi All,
    Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem! I did go to see orthopedist about toe lump when it started to interfere with wearing shoes. X-rays, MRI, then back to Doc who said that she would "take it off, but only if she could also take off the nail" Exit stage right.
    Couple of years later, the thing is gradually growing to the point that I figured what the heck - and I found out that doc was no longer there. Maybe new doc doesn't want the nail too?
    New doc looks at toe, and says, didn't 1st doc say anything about a biopsy? Noooooooo...
    Now to oncologist, sends me for a special MRI- which comes back saying it's weird and doesn't fit any particular diagnosis. Go for Biopsy, long story here..., but comes back with a differing, but still inconclusive diagnosis. Now I can either wait and watch or have the thing taken out. I've already waited and watched, since the first doc, figure take it out. Now the biopsy site is infected, hurt like heck and had discharge and lots of pain over the weekend. Went to anesthesiologist for exam, tried to talk me into the local...around my ankle and /or behind my knee. FORGET IT! I had the local for the biopsy, and it did not work! I also had some kind of IV sedative, that did not work either for the core biopsy. Literally almost jumped off the table and I did yell OW! Hurt like heck. Uh- I don't think the LOCAL WORKED. Or you missed something! I want to be out cold, I don't want to hear anything or know anything that happens. Ideally this would begin at home and then I would reawaken back here too.
    Biopsy site is infected-7 weeks later. Doesn't bode well for my powers of healing a bigger cut in my toe. Going to have 2 surgeons, foot and ankle and oncology (not sure why he is going to be there) also may have to follow up with an infectious disease doc. So far, we have about $500 to pay in bills (after insurance!) . The big ones will come after the surgery. On a limited income, and not looking forward to having this turn into my vacation plans for the next few years, have not been able to afford one in a few years as it is. Oncologist seems pretty sure that it is not cancer, but not 100%. They will also now have to try to irrigate the infection out of the toe at the biopsy site.I had an ingrown toenail removed from the same toe 20+ years ago. Podiatrist did it in office-talk about painful needles in the Toe! ( I yelled then too!) Wondering if current issues stem from substandard care all those years ago. I'll let you know what it turns out to be-if they know!

4. Ouch!Thathurts!

Ouch!Thathurts! New Member

Im a 48-yr old female who had a very painful bunion surgically removed in 1991. I was very strong, lean, athletic when I had the surgery. It took me 3 weeks before I could touch my heel to the ground because it was incredibly painful & sensitive. It took another 2-3 weeks before I could touch my whole foot flat on the ground. It took yet another 2-3 weeks before I could put a tennis shoe on. I was on crutches the whole time. Even now, 21 years later, if I bump or hit my surgery scar, the pain will take my breath away.

A good friend of mine had bunion surgery August 2012. She's in her early 50's. Her bunion was so sensitive & so painful that she could only wear flip flops or soft slippers. After her surgery, she was up & walking without crutches within one week! I asked her how & why she accomplished this. She told me that her doctor put a combo of anti-inflammatory, antibiotic (?) & numbing medicines (like Lidocane?) injection (the exact combo eludes my soggy memory) at the site of the bunion before they started the cutting, & right after they sedated her. She told me that she had little-to- no pain immediately after the surgery & even a week later. She told me that the injection allowed her muscles, nerves & tissue to be relaxed & ready for the surgery & to promote faster healing with reduced /minimal swelling & pain during the healing.

I don't know if this is a common surgical procedure now, but I sure wish they had it back when I had my surgery. Maybe this story will help minimize someone's anxiety about surgery. Please ask your surgeon if they've heard of this, or if is a standard option for his/her surgeries or if they would consider researching & applying the best medicine combo like the one I've mentioned. Good luck to you all & I hope you have a successful, painless outcome.

5. TruWiel444

TruWiel444 Guest

sure would be nice not having to read through all the garbage the "foot doc" put on here that had nothing to do with the question at hand!! I guess I didn't read through it because I found it quite rude really when all the other person wanted to know was about the lump on said foot!! Which is why I ventured into this forum...but forget it!! I'll find another, friendlier, "foot doc" to advise me. I'm from Canada where I don't have to pay for my medical!!

6. Dick

Dick Guest

7. Dick

Dick Guest

Doc you are rude as hell. Its none of your business wether a person can afford anything. Some one came here for advice and sure you gave it but at the same time you were a complete prick and condescending as hell. As a dr you should have a better attitude towards people and act more professional in the way that you represent yourself to people. I gotta tell you that if i were in your office for an appointment and you talked to me like that in any way shape or form i would most definately blow your shit out and hopefully after the emergency room you would have multiple checkups with a prick dr just like you. I bet if someone came to you poor as hell and said i picked up cans for a week to get this $97 to be able to come here and havent spent a dime on food you would say well the cost is $100 so starve another day and get somemore cans and come back. Just saying what the hells wrong with you? Where does it say anywhere in the oath that you took while becoming a dr that you had to be a cocky ass self absorbed overpayed prick. You said it yourself educated guess. Thats the problem with people not wanting to go to the dr out of pocket with no insurance is because you are so money hungry that you cram people through so freaking fast that your educated guesses are wrong resulting in poor people having to make a return visit and you sure as hell do not refund money for misdiagnosis so whos the bumb here? ASS HOLE!!!!!