1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

some swollen toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm a female New Yorker in the mid-forties. Some time in mid-December '08, my 4th toe on my left foot, felt itchy as if it had received a bug bite. I doubt that it was a bug bite considering that it's winter. It swelled from scratching. Several days later, the second toe on the left foot had the same sensation. I scratched a bit and it swelled up, too. The fourth toe's swelling was subsiding, but the 2nd toe got worse-- really swollen. On 1/6/09, I went to see my general practitioner. She believed this swelling was caused by fungus and presribed two creams, one just anti-fungal and the other was an anti-fungal with cortisoid to help with the itching at night. She told me to set up a follow-up visit with the staff dermatologist a week later. The creams didn't seem to be effective in reducing the swelling and actually, it made that 4th left toe worse. However, it did help with the itching and burning feeling at night. This toe swelling problem showed signs on my right foot -- 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes. I used the creams on those toes, too. On 1/14/09, I saw the dermatologist. She asked if I had any family members who had auto-immune disease or Lupus (answer is no), poor circulation of the extremeties (answer is yes - I have cold hands and feet) and any other health issues (answer is no). She does not think that the swelling is caused by fungus and told me to stop using those creams. Not sure what is causing this problem, she took a blood sample and prescribed a different cream for me to use twice a day, fluocinonide. I have a follow-up appt with her two weeks later (1/30/09). This cream has reduced the swelling and worth noting is that the 4th toes seemed to be darker and more affected by this swelling business.

Any clues to what my problem may be? Would it make more sense to see a podiatrist instead of a dermatologist?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It certainly wouldn't hoit

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

HI: I have had this same problem for about 5 or 6 years now. With each passing winter (only happens from about October to April), it gets progressively worse. I saw many docs about this but none seemed to know what to do with it. I researched this to death and found the answer myself. It sounds very much the same as what you describe. I got to the point where I was scratching my toes across the carpet to stop the itching. The only thing that really helped was sleeping with ice packs on my feet (not really a good thing but you do what you've gotta do to sleep). It makes sense that your doctor asked if you had an auto-immune disease (I have Lupus). He/she is on the right track though you don't have to have an auto-immune disease to have this condition. The problem in your hands could be Raynaud's phenomenon but I am almost positive the problem with your toes is called Chilblains. Look it up and mention it to your doctor. When I brought the info. to my doctor, she prescribed a strong cortisone cream which helps with the itching and she also prescribed Adalat (vasodilator) which has basically solved the problem entirely. HOPE THIS HELPS. I know all too well the misery this can cause.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi unregistered guest. Thanks for the advice about Chilblains. I'll look into that.

Also, thanks for replying, Foot Doc.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey, the Weather has just got nice and cold and the toes on my left foot are starting to swell. This is especially annoying because I play soccer in Winter and it hurts to kick the ball. It was pretty bad last year but I don't think it was quite as itchy as you guys have described, more sore bruised feeling.
    But yeah I asked my mum about it and she said they are probably Chilblain. But I just sorta put up with and used Aloe Vera just to soothe it. I should try find some of this super cream to fix it up so i can get on with sport.

Thanks for the info,
    Mitch

6. sayu

sayu Guest

hi there

This is the 2nd time i am having swollen toes. Last year around november I got it. This time I have got it now, December. My doc has given me nifedipine , a low blood pressure medicine and he has taken my blood and urine samples for some testing. I just remembered that I have mild varicose veins in my left leg where the toes are also swollen. If varicose vein is the problem then my left toes should swell throughout the year. But since it swells only during the winter time, think it is weather prone. Like one of the poster said , even my palms and feet are always cold compared to others at home. Even during summer they are cold. I just hope they find a complete cure for this.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

7. Hi, my daughter is suffering from what appears to be very similar symptoms. This has been going on almost a month now. Doc has tried everything from antibiotics, cortisone creams, B/P medication, foot soaks. Has tested negative for Raynauds, Lupus, and circulatory problems. To me is sounded like Chilblains, but doc says not. Her hands and feet have always been cold. But the swelling is only in the toes, alternating in toes and feet, every few days. What was the final outcome with yours. She is scheduled to see a Rheumatogists in a few weeks. But is off work, and has to keep her feet up. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, thanking you in advance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013