1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Itchy Big Toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 21, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I know this is from a year ago but...I had the same issue and I soaked my foot with Epsom salt twice daily, then occasionally there-after. I also applied althete's food spray for two weeks. It seemed to work. Try washing your feet twice daily and changing your socks twice daily. A lot of work but TOTALLY worth it.

Sid

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just curious, how many of you are nicotine users? My doctor seems to think there might be a connection between nicotine use and the intense itching in my big toe. There is absolutely no external indication, no redness, no scaling, nothing.

I tried prescription cortizone cream, over the counter fungal creams, ice, and heat. Nothing worked. When I told him that it felt like the bone itched, it was like a light bulb switched on in his head. He prescribed amitriptyline (Elavil) and it does seem to help. If nothing else, it makes you sleep like a baby.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

omg i have the worst pain in my toes its the little one and the one next to it on my left foot... its been kind of hurting over the past few days but i thought maybe i just hit it somwhere..... as the pain wasnt that bad but a few hours ago it started itchign uncontrollably... that ive even been draging my foot along the carpet to help itch when i walk.. its now gone red and a little swollen i dont have any allergy tablets either.. and its too late to go buy some.. any one have any advice on what it could be? im thinking to cut my toes off! it itches so bad and it feels like its spreading.. really need to figure out what it is!

4. Itchy toe

Itchy toe Guest

I have had an intense itching on the dorsal side of my right 2nd toe. The itchiness is on the middle phalanx but the whole toe is inflamed - particularly when it warms up. This has happened over the last few days and has been enough to stop me sleeping at night and has started to irritate me during the day also. I have had athletes foot before and know that appears different even though the night time itching is similar, but now my feet appear otherwise in good health with no skin flaking. I have read all the problems people are suffering on this thread and wondered if anyone has considered chilblains? It has been cold in the UK this winter and I have noticed my toes are very cold when I drive sometimes. Is the foot doctor able to shed any light here?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

man am i glad to see i'm not alone. My wife is started to think I'm wacked. I can't sleep at night. the other night i fell asleep with my toe in a jar of mineral ice. I even use that and icy hot but nothing seems to last for long. I agree with the amputation, I really don't know how to function with this. I don't sleep and its always on my mind. HELP

6. Egan

Egan Guest

This has also happened to me just recently. I've read all the posts here. To anyone still reading these, go to your sink and fill it 1/3 full with warm water. Dump in 1 cup -ish of vinegar. Basically, bathe your feet in this stuff. If the itch goes away, that's good. Mine half went away. I'm going to try the bleach stuff that someone posted earlier.

I'll respond back if it works for me. Thanks for all the tips.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hay! ME TOO
    its been happening for 6 months now. and a thought came to me, to look for others with the same problem (because i know i would not be the only one) and everything everyone has been saying is true, your skin looks fine, but it drives you nuts with the itching, aspecially when it gets hot outside or inside.. i find a hair brush works wonders!
    i will be trying the bleech, vinigar, the candida cleanse, seeing if it a circulation problem, or trying to see if its something my toe seems to think im allergic too.
    i have been debating the same, should i see a doctor, but by the sounds of your posts, they know NOTHING, as usuall.
    i just had a thought, i have had my goal bladder out now for 6 months, the itching started after, could i have gotten it from the hospital if it bacteria ???
    im saving this to my favorits so i can keep updated and so i could help with my progress on the things im trying! so maybe i could help find the better solution, instead of tearing your skin and toe apart, seeing as no profesials will help, or even have a clue with what happening to us.
    untill next time, happy itching

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

some of you may have a pinched nerve in your back? Try some stretches or consult with a fysio if you think back problems may be related.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same toe problem and am leaning toward thinking it might be candida. It is hard but is so worth it. Most dr's out there don't know how to treat problems. There are sooooo many problems realated to too much candida in the body. I am going to take some probiotics such as acidolpholis. I did the candida cleanse 5 years ago and haven't had a problem with UTI's since.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can anyone recommend a specific candida cleanse? I have the same symptoms as each of you...toe looks fine, then hell hath no fury when it comes to the itch, scratch, removing layers of skin by rubbing against rough surfaces....but I haven't read anyone having the toe weep afterwords, a clear sticky substance... could this just be a result of the rubbing, or part of the original problem that is causing the itch?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. TOG Orthotics

TOG Orthotics New Member

He might be coming at it from a circulatory angle, like a mild form of chilblains as the other poster mentioned, which matches the weather nicely.

12. Templeton

Templeton Guest

IT"S DYSHIDROTIC ECZEMA!!!!

I was misdiagnosed for years...wasted hundreds of dollars on anti-fungal creams...

People usually get dyshidrotic eczema on their hands and sometimes the soles of their feet...but even fewer of us get it on our toes or the lateral sides of our toes. IT ITCHES LIKE HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE! No fork is sharp enough...no rug rough enough!

I used to rub my toes on rough surfaces until the skin sloughed off... why does this make it feel better instantly (despite the now skinless toe)? Because this eczema causes very small deep blisters...it is whatever is in the blisters that make it itch sooo bad!.

I found two cures... OTC hydrocortisone cream up to 4 times a day for two weeks. But it takes me a minimum of 4 times a day... it still itches for the first two days...but don't stop the cortisone cream when the itch stops or it will come right back...keep applying it for two weeks at a time.

Or if you rub the itchy area on a rug until it is nice and hot and shiny...BUT stop before breaking the skin...sometimes you can see or feel the deep blister(s). If you can pinpoint the blister...pop it with a sterile needle and squeeze the fluid out... INSTANT RELIEF!!!! I SWEAR!!!!!!! But it always takes a bit of 'rubbing' to make the blister appear. But relief is instantaneous... still use the cream to make it go into remission for awhile. After I found the cure I was recently itch free for four years, it just came back...but I already have it under control. For me certain shoes that make my feet sweaty set it off.

BTW all of your Doctors are effen IDIOTS! Find a new one with some common sense!
    I may be a nurse, but the Internet diagnosed me years ago...and all for free after 6 years of using COSTLY Anti-fungals.

Good Luck everyone and hope you are soon itch-free!

13. Mine too.
    Right toe. On the right hand side. No marks, no redness, nothing stuck in there. I've looked hard with a magnifying glass.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I get that, It is horrible. I don't think there is anything worst to have to go through.
    The ONLY thing that works for me is to apply ice, for a long while.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have been suffering on and off form this single big-toe (left) super itchy syndrome (for lack of a better term). Mine too, like many of you above, is around the ball of the toe, mostly center left (facing the second toe, that is). The itching is not as extreme as many of you describe it (thankfuly!), but is still annoying enough, especially for a recurrent, more than a decade long problem.

Since I have also noticed a slight loss of sensitivity in the very tip of my toe, and I used to suffer (15 years ago, just around the time the itchy toe problem appeared) from incapacitating lumbar back problems (sciatica), I think the pinched nerve hypothesis is the one I prefer, and I always suspected myself. No Western medical treatment was really offered for my back problems (short of a disc operation!), and as I could not even get up from bed at some point I decided to give acupuncture a shot. I myself went to a Korean acupuncturist in Korea town (Manhattan), and within 10 sessions of electrical stimulation through acupuncture, the back pain just disappeared. Now it comes back VERY lightly every once in a while (say, once a year), but it is gone in a couple of days (I do some basic stretching). What has never disappeared, though, is the itchy toe.

If I damaged some nerves during the extreme chronic lumbar pain period, I think it makes sense that perhaps some nerve endings in my toe (the most terminal area of my body) got permanently damaged. Once in a while, due to any number of potential causes (cold-hot changes, chemical sensitivity to shampoo, you name it), the "itching" reappears, but then it is gone in a day or so.

BTW, I put "itching" in quotation marks because the itch that I have on the toe is qualitatively different form any other itching I may experience at times on any other parts of my body. It almost feels not real, in the sense that it does itch, but no amount of scratching can ever calm it down. The feeling I get is that it is almost a nervous feeling, meaning that it is not a skin issue, but some nerve being stimutaled that makes my brain "feel" itchy. In fact, there is nothing actively "itching" my toe: it is just my nerve ending firing by itself. At least that 's how I'd describe it.

Sorry for the verbose posting, but I thought I'd share this with you, in case any of you may also have had similar experiences.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

me too! i get a really itchy big toe joint, under the fold, and on the big toe pad after wearing heels that are peep toed. i usually itch it until theres many small tapioca looking white bumps under the skin. and if im at it for a couple hours then im able to itch until i break the skin. then clear liquid comes out and im finally not itchy. doctor says its some sort of eczyma, i hope its not foot fungus !

17. TOG Orthotics

TOG Orthotics New Member

Hope everyone gets rid of that itch soon!

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello. I'm so sorry to read about what you all are going through. What about circulation issues or something with the arteries? My father's itchy feet, especially around the big toe, has suddenly gotten worse. Scratching does not help and there is nothing visibly wrong. No blisters or anything. He does have circulation problems and his veins are very visible because of it. A doctor told him to get an arterial doppler test. For many of you, it sounds like more than allergies. Consider something internal.

And to poster 76 - Dyshidrotic eczema.

19. FootDoc, there's nothing you've written that assists anyone in anyway. I know you have whatevermedical/internet jargon you go by. But since there is an internet, with people full of questions about ITCHING in their toes, an itch that is below the surface and actually causes pain because you can't scratch that it for it to stop. Yes, scratching those itches does nothing but create more of a burning sensation along with the never-ending itch. I've had it for years, comes and goes. If you are a DR. i honestly don't think you know what we're talking about so please stop playing games with our words.... ive wasted my time enough.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Itchy Big Toe... My goodness!

I am suffering withthis and had no idea that so many people are affected with this condition. Why doesn't anyone know what it really is. I itch on my right big toe and because it is inside my toe, I cann't for the life of me relieve the itch. It was so maddening for the last two days, I almost literally cried. I had a new pedicure on Thursday of last week and started wondering - aha, is it the nail polish or something - I removed the polish with nail polish remover and the itching stopped! What!!! is that!!! At any rate I am going to podiatrist in spite of so many of you saying there is no real solution or known cause.