1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Annoying foot itch

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. hayate143

hayate143 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had an itch in my right foot since 1992 and I can not get rid of it. I thought it must be a fungus. After reading this I am not so sure any more. Being recently diagosised a diabetic I am very concerned that I could end up losing my foot because at times it itches so bad I scratch it till it cracks the skin. Could it possible be some other kind of parrasite?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    i also have this problem but i have found that sudocream helps it not itch as much or not at all. i apply it morning and night, i've also got a little tube of it to keep in my bag for the rare occasions that it plays up whilst im out.

hope this helps :)

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a podiatrist and I couldn't help myself to reply to you all, you all sound so frustrated!
    Firstly the person who said they have itchy blisters - that is very likely to be atheltes foot / Tinea pedis, an over the counter antifungal cream will probably solve it for you. Another possibility is a form of Psoriasis. Either way go and see a podiatrist or GP for a diagnosis.

To the person with Diabetes go and see a podiatrist for a full foot assessment. they will beable to give you personal advice on minimising the infection risk to broken skin.
    I very much doubt any of you have parasites.

Typically an itch is a response to an allergen. the body releases histamine as a result. If there is nothing to see it may still be an alergy. I think the person who suggested taking antihistamies as a trial to see if it reduces the symptoms might be on to something - at least that is an easy way to try and work out a diagnosis by trial and error.

My imeadiate reaction to those of you that have an intense, regular itch with NOTHING to see that could cause - it could be your nerves. Nerves have receptors in the skin that respond to a specific stimulus and sends messages to your brain. Each type of feeling has a different receptor (eg temperature, pain, pressure, tickling, pins and needles, itching) if a nerve is not functioning properly (- neuropathy and there are lots of reasons for this) a message might not get sent at all (numb) the wrong message might get sent, (instead of cold a person might feel pain, or instead of pressure a person gets pins and needles) or messages might get sent repeatedly with no stimulus at all - the nerves fire off multiple messages to the brain for no reason. Allodynia is the term used to describe when the skin feels a sensation that is not right for the stimulus - typicaly people describe the sensation of crawling / pins and needles / a feeling of a tight band around the foot / stiffness / heavy / cold (but warm to touch) . I think this is what could be going on for you....

Neuropathy / alodynia is typicaly worse at rest and at night becasue the nerves have nothing to do - it's a bit like background "white noise". In the day when you're busy walking and doing things there are multiple stimulus to your nerves all the time (they're busy) when they're not busy the background noise turns up the volume.

One of the simplest and most effective ways I have seen to mange this is to give the nerves something to do. It doesn't work for everyone but it's so simple it's worth a try. Get a piece of stretchy, material medical tape (eg fixomul or mefix) cut it to a size a little large than the affected area and skick it over the top. The nerves will concentrate on the sending mesasges to your brain that there is a bit of tape stuck on your foot and turn down the itchy messages and you can get to sleep.
    There are medications used to reduce allodynia and painful neuropathy, They work by dampening down the overactive nerves. They are usualy anti seizure druges. Talk to your gp if it is really bothering you esp if it is affecting your sleep and quality of life. If you get nowhere with your GP aybe see if you can get to a neurologist for some nerve function tests
    I hope that this advice works for some of you!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

im trying your idea with the tape and it seems to be working its 1:39 am guess ill try to go to sleep again
    thanks so much

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I recently developed the same itching on both my arches. I believe it was caused by sleeping in my high heels. (don't ask). I just massaged Vicks Vapo Rub on one foot to see if it would work...and it did! The itching is completely gone!

6. Have any of you though to check for a parasitic infection?
    Hookworms embed through the feet, where they will cause itching.
    If you walk barefoot through the yard, it's possible. It's not altogether impossible to acquire a parasitic infection through the foot. I suggest you do some reading into the matter. While its more common in tropical and subtropical climates, it is still quite possible to acquire at home.
    Ask for a blood test. You will also need a stool sample.
    If anemia is present, a stool test will also be needed.
    This will then confirm a parasitic infection, which can be treated and cured.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had this itch in my feet for two or three years. It seem to itch at night after i go to bed. I have been to the podiatrist and he wrapped my feet in wrappings and told me to soak my feet in salt and warm water. I noticed some relief after wearing the wrappings for awhile, but i could not wear the wrappings all of the time because of the uncomfortable feeling while wearing shoes. So i purchased elastic arch supporters from Dr. Leonard and each night before going to bed, i either soak my feet or massage my feet with lotion and slide on my elastic arch supporters and get into bed. Most of the time i will sleep soundly, sometimes my feet will itch regardless. It is the only answer i have for relieving this horrible itch. I hope this work for many of you

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I really appreciate the advice of the podiatrist that responded as an unregistered guest. I too, believe that the intense itch I am feeling is a result of nerve signals. I can recreate the itch by pressing on the inside of my foot below the ankle bone and a little toward my heel. It brings on more itching below my toes and the ball of my foot. I have to do something to make it go away. Hot water, cold water, etc. My fear is that one day it won't! I think that would be unbearable. I also notice it more when I don't wear my orthotics, and when I am eating poorly and gaining weight. It doesn't bother me as much when I am slimmer. I guess this is a message to try and stay healthy!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had an itch for over 10 years in various places on either foot. It is excruciating and I have to walk for an hour for it to go away. Lately I find that if I take an antihistimine it goes away in 1/2 hour. I used to only get it at night but now, anytime. It is inside the foot and not on the surface. Hope it helps.

10. Bob Foot

Bob Foot Guest

I agree that the doctor sounds a bit impersonal, but that's a symptom of their trade. They think the common man is not qualified to express or understand the workings of the human body. So here are a few words of wisdom from a common man. I have noticed a correlation between sciatic nerve irritation and the occurrence of itching. Here's another twist to the puzzle. I love sweets and I have learned to avoid them because it adds to the nerve problems. My best guess here is that the itching is a nerve ending irritation that is linked to sciatica as well as diet. I have found that leg exercises stretching the sciatic region as well as abdominal exercises have helped a lot. Ivy dry for poison ivy also gives temporary relief when I let my sweet tooth get the best of me.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear all,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who took the time to share their story in this thread. As we commonly observe in issues of health and disease, the support of the community and our desire to help others frequently become our only aids in the search for relief. In fairness to myself as well as others, I must preface this post with the following disclosures: 1. I too suffer from the symptoms described in this thread. 2. I am a U.S. trained medical doctor. 3. Since this is an informal internet setting, my statements do not represent formal medical advice and should only to be taken as opinions and/or personal advice from one patient, who happens to be a doctor, to another patient.

I have only a few comments to add.

While the itching described by so many of you in this thread is clearly distressing and life-altering, in general, all of you should take note that you are not in any particular danger because of it. In the end, the most dangerous consequences of this condition are the actions which it can lead people to while seeking relief. An excellent example is soaking in water with bleach (or any other harsh chemical). This is a terrible idea and while it may in fact give relief, it is doing so by unreasonable means. In the case of bleach, the skin and nerves of the feet are literally being killed off and/or severely damaged, and because they are no longer functioning properly, they cannot sense itching and thus the itching is gone, but at expense of harming the body. You could also relieve foot itching through amputation of the foot, however that is obviously unreasonable. The point is that you should be careful to not give into temptation and go to extremes prior to exploring all the alternatives and seeking others' advice because you may be doing more harm than good.

In case something was not clear, I will state this: DO NOT USE BLEACH OR ANY OTHER HARSH CHEMICALS ON YOUR SKIN OR THE SKIN OF OTHERS WITHOUT A MEDICAL DOCTOR'S APPROVAL. THIS ADVICE IS ONLY FOR YOUR SAFETY AS WELL AS THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. IF IN DOUBT ABOUT A CHEMICAL OR DRUG, CALL ANY LOCAL HOSPITAL OR DOCTOR'S OFFICE FOR HELP.

In terms of the itching, it is important to understand that sometimes it can be due to psychological problems and it would be irresponsible to ignore this possibility. While generally nobody likes to hear this because there is no easy answer or cure, psychological causes can frequently be treated and sometimes represent other troubles such as depression and anxiety. The term "it is all in the mind" has a negative meaning in our society and should be avoided. The truth is that regardless of the cause being in the mind or not, the sensation experienced, in this case itching, is nonetheless "real" to the person experiencing it. "Real" is a relative term that can only be determined by the individual and is not something that can be determined from anyone else. Specifically in the case of the young girl mentioned earlier, if the itching is a significant problem, then a full evaluation is warranted which would include both physical and psychological exams. Neither of these exams are any less important than the other and in the end it doesn't matter if the itching is found to be due to physical or psychological causes if a working treatment is found. Finding a treatment is the only thing that really matters.

So, I think that the itching could certainly be "all in her head" and frankly I don't think this is an unreasonable statement. If it is "all in her head", then if you treat her "head" then you should resolve the itching, which is great. Of course, this should not replace a simultaneous physical evaluation including physical exam, history taking, blood work, etc. In the end, acknowledging the problem and seeking treatment is all that is important, especially in a child who cannot help themselves. If the parents keep up with the evaluation and are persistent, things will resolve one way or another. Please do not underestimate the ability for psychological disease to cause physical symptoms. Disorders of the mind are horribly under-diagnosed in general.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have read all the reviews and have the same problem with severe itch on one foot that comes and go's. It has been about a year now and it stem's from walking barefoot and picking up a tiny parasite called hookworm. I have not been officially told this by doctor or dermatologist but I did a lot of research. Apparently 700 million people have it but those of us who live or travel to southern climates and walk barefoot tend to get it. Doctors have given me some steroid creams and antibiotics which helped a bit for a while but it comes back every few months. When the itch comes it usually lasts for a few weeks and is
    uncontrolable. It get's to the point where I can not sleep at night. I looked at pics of mild hookworm cases and found that I sometimes could see these little red squiggly lines on the bottom of my foot. It is not noticeable most of the time but sometimes it looks like a red piece of thread about 1 inch long is just under the surface of the skin and that is where it is itchy. Apparently most people can not see these lines but I am sure many of you have hookworm and do not realize it.
    I am going back to the dermatologist again and not sure what he will do but the topical creams do not help. Do some research on hookworm and if you happen to find a cure of some kind please share as I am at a loss and can not find any specific cures.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I considered hookworm and would certainly try the medication if I could convince a doctor to prescribe it for me, but I have seen hookworm before. This is not the same thing. Like all of you, I have tried just about everything to get some relief. (except bleach) Gold Bond, athletes foot creams/sprays, Caladryl, Benedryl, Cortizone 10, Lanacane, antibiotic ointment (why not), etc... etc... Is it a mite? chigger? nerves? allergy? None of it makes sense. Presently, I am avoiding rubber. Two weeks into that trial, I am thinking my flip flops (which I have worn for 50 years) are not the problem. MY itching is accompanied by smallish round bumps which typically have a dark center. They are not the tiny blistery itchy bumps. These will welt up if scratched. If I can pick it with a needle in the center, clear fluid comes out... and THAT is pretty much the end of that bump! Often that is not successful. Seems to be they have to be at a certain stage in order to get relief that way. Oh yeah, and when the bumps 'go away', the area will peel. Anyhow. The only reason I am posting at all is that I ran across something that finally gave me some relief from the intense itch. It is not a cure for the problem, but when the itch is keeping me awake in the middle of the night, or I have succumbed to the urge to scratch and have gotten the point that I just can't stop... I reach for my 100% pure peppermint essential oil. It stops the itch almost immediately and the relief lasts. Apply to the area with a qtip, allow time to soak in, cover with socks so you don't get the oil all over and be sure to keep it out of your eyes! Give it a try, the very worst thing that can happen is, your feet will smell good enough to eat! I'll continue to google this problem from time to time in hopes that eventually, someone will have an answer. Good luck!

14. Foot Itcher

Foot Itcher Guest

Lots of people here with problems similar to mine. I am not a doctor. Though I will try and help you as much as possible. Hope some of my techniques will help give some relief even if temporary. Had both feet itch 10 years. Saw 20 doctors and no one could help. Some think dry skin, athletes foot, diabetic, but still no cure. I think I got something from mosquito bites on vacation but no doctor knows how to look for it or cure it. My feet look perfect and doctors find it hard to believe they itch or have any problem.

The key is in the scratching to find some relief. Some tips are to use a round flat comb with many rigid plastic bristles that stick up like a small plastic bed of nails. I also used a square patio block where the edges were of good use when standing and rubbing the foot across it to get at all the itch places. That is not so good if there's an itch on the foot top or if you are traveling (too heavy).

Also, now I have progressed to metal kitchenware for scratchers that work the best. I am always careful not to break the skin or cause damaging scratches in the skin. I simply bought out everything I could find at the store that looked like a good foot scratcher and tried each. Wow, some work great!

I found a woven mat made from Bamboo exported from Taiwan. It works very good! It has about half inch squares or less open weave that act like tiny scratchers. After a month or three months, it will fall apart from aggressive foot scratching. Just be careful to throw it away at that time or some slivers may result. They only cost a dollar or two.

I found some good stuff that's very helpful. Sometimes I use two or more different types of scratchers, like a gentle soft one for more sensitive parts of the foot, followed by tough places like the heel with a more aggressive metal one. I can use finger nails but it's not as satisfying and the skin on my heels are thick.

If you're in a jam with no tools at hand, a common comb will work too. They're easy to carry around.

If I scratch the feet very good to the point of some satisaction, then apply non allergenic creme, I can get a good nights sleep. I also find that walking or skating can massage the foot to cure the itching naturally for a while.

Also helpful is the strong muscle rub but it stinks so bad and gets all over everything and must be washed off in the morning. I tried putting socks over the muscle rub and that helps contain the ointment. It works overnight at home.

Putting on moisturizing creme first and then scratching will heighten the feeling of skin satisfaction during the scratch as it naturally sensitizes the skin. Be more careful when scratching this way as the skin is more sensitive.

Making the feet cold is very helpful to subdue the itch after scratching, but it also prevents circulation which can be harmful over an extended period of applications so use that technique sparingly. If I scratch feet, put on moisturizing lotion, and cool them, I can get a very good night's sleep.

I am so sorry we all must suffer from this terrible and horrible foot itching. I hope my techniques that I discovered in ten years time which help me can help you in some way. I wish you the best and may God be on our side.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Ok so here I am in the middle of the night googling because of my arches too. I bought a new pair of UGG boots. Wore them for a few days and the arch itching was unreal. Switched to Merrell tennis shoes and itching gone. Wore the new UGGS last 2 nights in a row and itching back. My theory is UGGS have terrible support which could cause plantar fasciitis. My husband has it bad, had to get special inserts and everything. Bought Merrell shoes and completely gone. No more inserts or any pain. New Balance shoes cause this. All doctors will tell you to wear them but do not. I have spoke to lots of people who agree about New Balance. Try doing some exercises for plantar fasciitis. It helped me. Hope it helps you. Please don't think I'm crazy because it sounds like it but I'm not. I work in medicine for Wake Forest School of Medicine and know lots of people who work 12 hour shifts on their feet the entire time and have helped me figure this out. Please try the exercises.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What a nice thread! You have a fellow itch-sufferer in Denmark and it is not possible to
    google anything about it in Danish. I am glad to find out that I am not alone in the world with my extremely annoying itch that I have no intention to bother my doctor with. I will definately try some of the many advices found here. Sleep tight, Kirsten from Denmark

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OMG I am so pleased I am not the only one! This itching is driving me crazy! Im sure it is stress related though as I get hives also when I am stressed so I end up with my whole body (feet and all!) ITCHING!!!! ARGH! It only happens when I go to bed. It lasts for hours but once im finally asleep I dont notice it.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Liz I have this same problem. It started about a week. It's on my right foot in the arch. My feet are clean also and I take care of them. When I scratch it it feels soooo good. I can't figure it out either. Weezie

19. Ereader

Ereader New Member

I've had the problem in one spot at the edge of my left foot for 20 years, since I had surgery on my spine. I'm sure it is a neural sensation and just feel I have to live with it. The skin over the area is now thickened after so long scratching it with the big toenail of the other foot. I have a similar itch below my left shoulder blade, which I try to ignore because once I start it gets worse.

Reading previous posts, the worm thing seems a possibility for some people and the superglue suggestion sounds bizarre but logical.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mine doctor ran blood tests for allergies and the thing that I was the most allergic to was eggs. She said that my foot itch could be caused by an allergy so she took me off eggs. Itch has been gone for 6 months now. Who would of thought. I had the itch for over 10 years. Drove me nuts. No more.