1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Annoying foot itch

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TOG Orthotics

TOG Orthotics New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    +1, this really bears repeating loudly and often.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: treatment that works

I decided to try to look on the web about this because this is exactly what I've had. I strongly believe there is some type of bug afoot (pardon the pun) because that is indeed exactly what it feels like. It's worse when I'm in bed and also when the foot is in warm possibly sweaty socks/shoes where things usually thrive and are active.

My story... I first got this in one foot right after I was traveling and staying at a hotel on business last year. We've all heard of getting stuff lately from hotels. Anyway, went crazy for about a month and then I just so happened to remember putting down in the warmer Srping weather a granular insectiside for outside lawns, etc. (forgot which one) and I got some on the deck by accident and left it there. I walked on it (within maybe some days before it got washed away from rain) with bare feet and I distinctly remember having the itching gone within the day. So a parasite of some sort makes perfect sense which is what I've been thinking all along. Now, I'm not saying to put your feet in different chemicals though and here's why. I actually just got another relapse - again after traveling on business staying in a hotel - and haven't figured out the fix. Yes, I even went a bit crazy in desperation and sprayed the bottom of my foot with Raid but alas, nothing. Creams, ointments, asking doctors, all with no result.

I'm definitely going to try your test because makes sense... maybe if something is indeed below the surface of the skin then a surface treatment - chemical or otherwise - will not work unless there is a lucky opening/crack in the skin to allow it to get in (maybe I got lucky this way before). I'll have to read up on chiggers but depriving a critter of longer term life support makes sense.

Thanks.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Do the palms of your hands itch also? My mother has a wheat allergy reaction where it comes through her hands and feet. Now severe, she has physical signs of irritation, but for years did not. She hasn't ever had a yeast infection... it builds up and never comes out. It seems to come out irritating with age. Now 34 I am starting with similar symptoms. There is NO comfort or solution and sometimes itching it just doesn't go deep enough... like its INSIDE my foot. When I am either to the point of breaking or able to afford it, I will go gluten free a while and hope it works.

Anyone on here found a solution or explanation that was concrete and certain???

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was reading a article said hook worms can cause foot itching. but my foot is not red or cracked. what the heck do you do my right foot just started itching most of the time is at night. I have two pets dogs who have not pooped in the house and I don't go outside without shoes. all help needed....
    its crazy but so painful....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is not intended to upset anyone, merely to help. I have had this problem off and on for years. I have rubbed areas of my feet raw and my hands (the meaty part between thumb and forefinger). One of your many submissions must have led me to try a new method. While in bed I instinctively dragged the big toe of my right foot under my left and thought "Oh no, here we go again." At that moment it was a ticklish itch and I knew that, as soon as I rubbed that area again, it would be a full-blown battle keeping me awake all night.

I decided to use a little bit of "mind over matter" and not touch that area again. It was difficult and the concentration probably sent me to sleep, but awoke several hours later with the itch gone. I have used this approach twice since and been successful each time although I haven't tried it yet while up and about. You may think that this is too simple a solution for something that has blighted your lives for years, but please try it. The first rub of the area is not painful; it is the repeated attempts to get under the skin and strangle the blighter that causes and increases the pain!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had itching on the bottom of my foot now for about 2 months. It doesn't itch all the time, but it itches off and on all day and night. It's really starting to bug me. The itch is on the bottom center of my foot, about a quarter size area. It does seem to itch more at night.
    I'm thrilled to find this site and know I'm not alone. I won't go to a doc at this point, esp. after reading how many docs have no idea what causes it. But it's nice to share:)

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Itching is a mild form of pain. I don't have this particular issue (though I get itches that are "unscratchable" from time to time), but it seems to me that if something is "hurting" (itching) regularly, there is indeed something wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something like interferential treatments? I guess you'd have to have them while the itch is happening, which may not be possible, but just a thought since the treatment is supposed to "interfere" with the signals of the nerves and calm them down.

8. popcorn

popcorn Guest

I have itching on my left foot on the lateral edge of the arch for about a year. I have mentioned it to two doctors and they just look perplexed with no answer to the problem. There are no local physical signs of a problem. I have had sciatica on this same side for years (which comes and goes) and I have come to the conclusion that some type of nerve damaage in my lower back is the probable cause which leaves me with no solution.

9. luckygirl7

luckygirl7 Guest

I too have had this itching problem on the bottoms of my feet but also my palms. I believe it is sugar related. Too much sugar is causing yeast or the after affects of anibiotic regimin. So there is a "candida" problem going on. I have been taking yogurt with a 1/4 tablespoon of cinnamon (as I believe I suffer from metabolic syndrome also) as well as a probiotic pill to help re-adjust my internal body after my antibiotic use.
    It's a crazy itching from the inside out feeling. Some times are better than others but I'm praying that in time I will come back to normal again.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It's the liver it's inflamed. Look @ any acupuncture line meridian chart. Drink more water eat carrots etc.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had this problem off and on for a few years. I was going through an "episode" and happened to notice a bottle of New Skin liquid bandaid while I was scratching. I randomly decided to paint some on the itchy spot to see what would happen and it hasn't itched the rest of the day! I'm wondering if there is a nerve ending exposed or something that the liquid covered? Either way I don't care! It worked!

12. bonbon

bonbon Guest

I purchased a pair of Uggs from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I was told to wear them without socks
    Every since I have this horrible itch in the arch of my feet. Little red marks, that seem to turn brown, dry itching and driving me crazy. I have tried everything. Showed my doctor and he prescribed a antibiotic cream. Nothing is working. Any suggestions. I think maybe I was allergic to the lining of the boots

13. footnote

footnote Guest

I find it hard to believe that it is psychological. Therefore, I have to ask the foot doctor if he/she is working to report these claims? Does it motivate you to want to learn how to help? I saw a podiatrist who wants to test an electric boot created to resolve or silence a nerve or cluster of nerves that operates in the same manner that referred pain works. Clearly, this is a legitimate issue. I also think the "foot doctor" might want to refrain from trying to discourage the "me too" comments as it smacks of the doctor's lack of compassion, empathy, patience, and sensitivity. Just sayin'

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also have the dreaded "arch itch"....I did try menthol (actually it was Tylenol CREAM) and it works better than anything else I've ever tried. I often use a dog's SHEDDING TOOL to scratch the arch...and it's always on my right foot ONLY...but no matter how much or how hard I scratch, it keeps itching. The Tylenol cream is my best offer for relief. Does it really matter if it's nerve endings, skin irritation, allergy, bug bite, fungus....whatever fixes it is really all I'm concerned with!!! The Tylenol cream may moisturize it, may calm nerve endings, whatever....I suspect BenGay would do the same....all I know is it gives me SOME relief, so I use it!!! Hope this will help someone else with the same issue!!!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have been dealing with this itch on both feet for several years now. I have used the tape and it seems to be working...I also added drinking more water. I do some stretching foot exercises too. I used to put a fan at the end of the bed and would wear wet socks to bed to keep my feet cool. Before wearing wet socks I would get up several times in the night and run my feet under the tub tap..just to cool them down so the itching would stop. This was only temporarily. My feet look like a mummy but the tape was a blessing!! Thanks to the Docs who posted on here!! :) Thank you for all of you who gave some great ideas!! Good Luck to everyone!!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Has anyone tried walking in the sand barefoot? It is a natural exfoliant and salt water is a natural healer. I didn't have this problem with my feet, but I had a the PUPPPS Preganancy rash(body intensely itches, only cured by delivery, and medicines were harmful to the pregnancy) when I was pregnant and the ONLY THING that helped was sand and salt water.

17. unregistered

unregistered Guest

I have had this for over twenty years.It started out as a small spot on the bottom of one foot,then it went to my toes,eventually it spread to the other foot,now it's bothering the top of my foot near my toes.I have used every kind of cream,soaking in different things.Changing shoes,socks,detergents.You name it i've tried it.Once I got a pill from the dermatologist I assume it was a steroid,and it worked but you can't keep taking that.So I came to this sight to see if anyone else had an answer.It starts up as soon as I take off my shoes and socks at the end of the day,but sometimes it will itch in the morning or the middle of the night,in hot or cold weather/with or without socks.As a result the soles of my feet are like a piece of leather and are very dry but between my toes is not dry or leathery and they usually itch first and worse than the rest of my feet.Like the rest of you I just keep trying different things and scratch the daylights out of it until I get some releif.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have suffered with this itch problem on the sole of my right foot for years and there are two ways that I have got some sort of relief and that is walking in sea shore water where the sand is fairly course. The other is DERMATOLOGICAL (E45) MOISTURISING LOTION. This is great to use at night when going to bed as it really helps to relieve the itch when sleeping. I really find it great.

19. IndyTasha

IndyTasha Guest

Annoying foot itch..PLEASE HELP!

I am so happy to have come across this thread...I thought I was crazy! I have had this irritating itch on only my right foot for about 3 years now. It is a deep itch with red circular blisters under the skin that causes the irritated skin to become leathery. I had not had problems with it driving me crazy in about 3 months or so. I honestly believe that the irritation is caused by nerves. I have been stressed out for about 2 weeks now and it has been inflamed and itchy for about a week. I notice it mostly in the evening after I have gotten settled in from the day. I believe that it is indeed caused by nerves like some people get hives...we get itchy feet. It's like once my body realizes that it is time to relax is when it becomes most unbearable and I scratch until it hurts and sometimes cracks. I just wanted to share and was glad to hear I am not the only person living with this problem. I hope a cure can be found soon!

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This is totally true for me. I have itching on the bottom of the ball of my feet. When I don't pay attention to it, (it is not red peeling or anything) I don't feel anything. Lanicane works good too by the way. When I press on my foot, it comes back. Just a neuro thing? Stress or somthing? HMMMM>>>> this works though!!