1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 5th Metatarsal - Jones, & crack into the joint

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by SeattleGUY, Oct 23, 2009.

1. SeattleGUY

SeattleGUY Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This is a question for Doc, or ANYONE who has experience with this:
    I broke my left 5th metatarsal, diagnosed by my doctor as a Jones, with a crack leading into the joint.

I have read a lot and know that blood flow into this area may be minimal and slow down healing. What ways are there to increase blood flow into this area? Vit E as blood thinner? Niacin as circulation stimulant? Pharm blood thinners such as cumadin? Others?

Also - I am in a cast for 4 weeks then a 2nd Xray is taken. Just generally speaking, how does one begin bearing weight on a bad foot? I know this is case specific, but I am looking for rules of thumb and general ideas just to enhance my feel of what I know already.

What supplements can one take to speed up healing, and can this reduce the number of days it takes to get back walking? Cal/Mag? others?

Any other ideas or suggestions to heal this bone faster and/or better? I am open to alternative ideas as well as standard treatments. Thanks, all!!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i broke mine about two months ago, and i was recently put Back in a cast because i was rushing the healing. i asked my doctor how to speed up healing so i wouldnt need surgery and he told me to STAY OFF OF IT as much as possible... to be totally immobile. which sounds impossible, but worth it. you dont want your bone to get Worse while in that cast (it Can happen- i achieved this somehow) so as long as you dont walk on it too soon, youll be fine.

as for retraining yourself to walk properly, im no expert so i could be wrong... but (because i Had a boot for a few weeks) i just used my crutches for a few days in case my foot flaked out on me, and started walking..
    at First it hurt- like a shocking feeling, but then i got some strength and was fine.... although i think my foot will have to be retrained to Bend again! cuz it was real stiff
    haha but what do i know? i was just recasted for being an idiot about this bone!!

okay, so i have pretty bad advice.. but the first part was True. you really do have to keep off of it until you get the okay from the doctor dude :)

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I worked closely with an orthopedic surgeon as his x ray tech and he taught me a lot about many fractures. This one in particular can be difficult to heal. Definitely try to wear a very stiff soled shoe if you can (like skater shoes or skechers). Other times the Doctor will just give you a stiff soled shoe. This will help you to keep the weight off of the break as much as is possible.

There are bone stimulators out there to help speed up healing (DJO makes them). These items are great, however you can generally only get one after 3 months of failed healing.

These just take a long time to heal. The blood flow to that bone in particular bone is unique, there is only one little vessel leading to that bone and if your fracture separates blood flow from one part of the bone to the other then it will Definitely have a harder time healing. Only your doctor will know for sure.