1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Fractured 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A car ran over my foot on Jan 15th and broke my 3rd, 4th and 5th metatarsals. after a visit to the hospital I was put in a non weight bearing cast and was told at the hospital that I would have to wear a cast for 6 weeks and that there was only a 5% chance that I would have to have an operation. After two weeks I went back to the fracture clinic and they changed my cast for a fibreglass one and gave me some kind of hard sole shoe to walk one. I was told I could put my foot down as long as it wasn't painful. I already resumed work (I work in an office based job), which involves travelling on the undeground and a bit of walking (about 10 minutes from home to the station and from the station to the office). I haven't really had any problems and haven't felt any pain or discomfort whatsoever (I try to put as little pressure on my foot as I can, I basically put it down on the floor in order to have a bit more balance when walking with crutches).
    Yesterday morning I noticed a few very small bruises on the base of my 1st and 2nd toes. They are not anywhere near the injury and don't hurt if I touch them. But I'm starting to worry this might be a bad thing.
    Also, as I was coming back home yesterday evening my crutch slipped and I accidentaly applied more pressure on my injured foot, which resulted in mild pain that went away as soon as I lifted my foot. I resumed walking a minute later and felt no pain at all afterwards. However I'm still worried that that could have some negative consequences.
    I don't have an appointment at the fracture clinic untill 2 weeks time. Should I worry much about what happened?
    By the way, I'm a 26 year old male and live in the UK

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Worry is the price one pay for uncertainty. I don't know anything but an x-ray that can tell you whether worrying is or was appropriate. I can't speak to your specific case, but in regard to the ecchymosis you mentioned, such frequently appears in areas other than at the exact site of injury, as the post-traumatic extra-vascular blood drains by gravity through tissues planes.