1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden sharp arch/heel pain when walking

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Ainegue, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Ainegue

Ainegue Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    When I walk I sometimes feel a sharp, splitting pain in the heel or arch of my foot, as if the inside of my foot is being torn apart. It last for less than a second, and then completely dissipates.

This happens very occasionally when I take a step, and other than the pain being annoying, doesn't interfere with my walking.

I never wear high heals or sandals/flip-flops, participate in any sports requiring extensive running, do gymnastics, etc.. I do however walk back home from school, but the distance isn't that great. I can't find any noticeable bumps or bruises on my foot. I don't suffer from any bone, muscle or nerve problems (to my knowledge). The closest thing I could find on the internet is "plantar fasciitis", which described a "Sharp pain in the inside part of the bottom of your heel, which may feel like a knife sticking in the bottom of your foot". The difference is that none of the other symptoms fit, and that the pain does not seem to be located only in the heel.

Does anyone know what might be causing this pain?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

visit a doctor it may be serious

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same problem. It's a tear or stretching in the ligament in your foot. Excessive standing or even crouching down may have done it. The first step in the morning was so painful. The pain was between my heel and arch. I could pinpoint it. The more I walked on it the better it got, but as soon as I relaxed and then got up again it would hurt. Ice it whenever you get a chance. It's inflammed. Advil also helps a bit. Before you get out of bed in the morning stretch out your foot. While laying on your back, flex your foot towards your head. Then stretch it away. Do this several times in the morning before getting of bed. Also do it if you've been sitting awhile at a desk or on the couch before you get up.
    This will take a few weeks, but it will get better. I suffered with it for 6 months, then started doing this and within about 3 weeks the pain was entirely gone.
    Good luck.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Please post what the problem was, how long it took to heal, and what you did in the recovery process. Does it ever reoccur?

5. rdizzy1223

rdizzy1223 New Member

I had fasciitis in both feet and it does feel like sharp stabbing pains but mine at least didnt only last for 1 second, and its usually accompanied by an overall burning along your arch or heel.

6. Smn63

Smn63 Guest

I'm goin through a really sharp pain in my arch right now it just started yesterday and I have been icing it and elevating it and take advil/idviprofen. It feels like a terrible charley horse in my foot that won't go away I may need to
    See a doctor because it hurts all the time and has very sharp pains at points I don't play sports or anything that active though it has been one day but the pain feels like it's been goin on for months any suggestions?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Most of you are describing something different than what the original post described. I have the same thing and have had it happen to me for years. It is definitely not something you can describe as a ache or charley horse or something that gets better as you walk on it.
    It literally feels like you stepped on a nail but it doesn't last long at all...mine would be closer to <0.1 sec but it is an extremely painful stabbing/jolt-like pain. It only doest it maybe once every couple months if I do something that bends by big toe up just right. Its also all or nothing; there are none that just hurt a little and there is no warning before it happens.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

mine did the same thing stating back when i was in fourth grade sharpe nail like pain for a fraction of a second i am now in 10th grade and havent had the pain for about three years until yesterday i t came back with a vengence it wont go a way and no web site describes it 100% so imma see a doctor i advise you do the same

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had this years ago, a sharp pinching poking sensation when I walked in my arch, which can extend back to the heel. Yes, it is a stretched ligament, which is basically permanent and is the cause of getting flat feet. I did this years ago to myself from backpacking without proper foot support. I was fitted for custom insoles, and use those every day in my shoes, and its totally amazing. I can stand and walk for hours now, even before when my arches were in better condition. Any arch support you can add to your shoes will help make a difference if you are suffering from this. But usually, if you have stretched or pulled a ligament in your foot, it is pretty much permanent and your foot won't go back to the way it was. You can do specific exercises though, that can strengthen the muscles in your foot, and this may help as well. Good luck.

10. Frow

Frow Guest

My pain is constant.. Had it for months and only gets worse throughout the day. There is just a little swelling, nothing major. But incredibly painful any suggestions?

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

That kind of sharp pain can be caused by gradual tearing in the plantar fascia tendon along the bottom of the foot from the heel to the toes. Constant stress on it causes pain in the heel and arch, and since its hard not to strain it while walking around, the pain can be ongoing. I've had plantar fasciitis for several months now and have tried a lot of different things to make it go away. I finally found these shoes online from a company called Kuru that have helped lessen the pain throughout the day. The cushioning in the shoes seem to help, especially while I'm on my feet at work. If the pain keeps getting worse you should see a doctor.

12. shivam

shivam Guest

I too suffer from exactly such pain in both of my foot. It feels like a sudden sharp pain as if it has been stabbed with a sharp object or as if a muscle of nerve has torn apart. It lasts for a couple of seconds and fades away. It has been occurring to me for years, but now its occurring quite frequently.

13. Seanbo

Seanbo Guest

I have a very painful feeling in my left foot on the inside of the arch. Its not how this post has been describing it. it is constant, I am constantly limping and in serious pain. it has been about 3 months and I even took 3 weeks off from work for it to heal. I went to my doctors after the three weeks was up and figured it had to be broken, got Xrays it wasnt broken. pretty much my muscle in my foot just wont heal. I dont really know what to do at this point. Thinking about trying to sleep with the splint

14. Since yesterday my right foot sole hurts badly.Its like a bunch of needles are being stabbed under my foot.Thr pain is so excruciating such that it sends the shiver up the spine. Maybe the nerves are effected or the source of pain is near the nerves hence the pinching needle pain. I hope my pain recedes.The pain strokes are periodical. Btw I dont play or excersise nor do i walk too much.

15. misty

misty Guest

I am going to exactly what you did thank you for the advice I'm going to give it a try I hope it works it's driving me nuts

16. coffee

coffee Guest

17. coffee

coffee Guest

i agree with you. the pain doesnt last long but it's surely disturbing. like you just stepped on a needle. who knows what it's called plz?

18. Ina

Ina Guest

afaik a needle-like pain may be attributed to a trapped nerve, check quality sources for tarsal tunnel syndrome and its differential diagnosis.

19. I am a multi sport athlete and I am flat footed, these pains happen often. A couple of years ago my doctor said that I have Planter flansicitis. Though during uses it doesn't hurt but when I quit the activity it feels like a needle is stabbing my arch. I got shoes to help with the pain but it still hurts. When it hurts like this even applying no pressure doesn't help. How can I fix this I'm thirteen.

20. I am a multi sport athlete and I am flat footed, these pains happen often. A couple of years ago my doctor said that I have Planter flansicitis. Though during uses it doesn't hurt but when I quit the activity it feels like a needle is stabbing my arch. I got shoes to help with the pain but it still hurts. When it hurts like this even applying no pressure doesn't help. How can I fix this, I'm thirteen. It hurts for a long time even after activity.