1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

ring toe?big toe numb feels tied with string

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I too have had the "string" syndrome for several years. No diabetes, circulation problems or other obvious causes. I spend considerable time standing/walking at work and it seems to get worse at the end of the day. Just recently I realized that I had been driving a stick shift car for 10+ years and it is on the left (clutch) foot. I saw a podiatrist last year and he recognized the description immediately. He said it is due to a strained ligament that goes from one side of your foot to the other and holds the toes from spreading apart. Gave me an insert for several pairs of shoes and said it would take many weeks for it to get better. It did not. Its a nuisance but is bearable and he (the dr.) did not seem to feel that it was anything more serious than a distraction. I searched this site to see if anyone had any OTHER answers.

2. phylliseis

phylliseis New Member

I also recently started waking up with this sensation in my left big toe. It raised a mild concern about whether this was some early neurological sign of something, but it doesn't sound like most of you here experienced a lot of progression in your symptoms. In my case, I walk 5 or 6 days a week, 4 - 5 miles at a time. I wonder if the wear and tear is starting to catch up with me. I am also having some pretty serious hamstring tightness and pain in the same leg; perhaps this is also related in some way. Anyway, glad I stumbled onto this thread - it has been vaguely reassuring, though obviously the answer (what is this?) remains elusive for most of you...

3. Jessica

Jessica Guest

Hey, so I guess I'll say what everyone else has said. I was absolutely amazed that I found this. As I was typing in "it feels like there's a string or hair around my toe", I was thinking, there is no way anything is going to come up.

So, with that being said, obviously. I have this too! This is so weird. It drives me crazy. It feels like a hair is wrapped around my toe. For me too, it's mostly when I'm laying down and/or barefooted. I find myself constantly reaching down in the bed to get the "hair" out from in between my toes.

Anyway, I have nothing important to add... I don't have diabetes, I was actually just checked for that. I do have a bunion, I think I saw someone else mention that. I've also had surgery on my foot because of the bunion. But that was several years ago. This string/hair toe thing just started.

Well I will definitely keep an eye on this forum.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have this sensation on several of my toes, when I'm standing and sitting down. Several years ago, i was diagnosed with advanced disc degeneration, which causes pinching of my nerves (my leg also goes numb when I stand too long) I've attributed the string feeling to this diagnosis (this diagnosis was made after having an MRI)

5. njadams1963

njadams1963 Guest

Re: left foot, last 3 toes feel like string wrapped in & around them

I've been having issues w/my left hip for several years and over the past 2 years I've had coccydynia (tail bone pain) as well as spasms in my groin area. Went to ortho who just gave me a strong anti-inflammatory & muscle relaxer, but never a diagnoses. I'm scheduled to get a cortisone injection in my coccyx next week. NOW, when I lay on my left hip, it starts to throb and if I fall asleep, I'm awakened by this feeling of the plastic easter grass intertwined in between my toes on my left foot, the last 3 toes only. I wake up feeling them & checking to see what's around my toes!!!! I also have high uric acid levels which does cause stabbing pain in my toes, mainly my big toe, however this is a totally different feeling. I also had nerve conduction testing done on my legs & feet which turned out normal except for my left foot, she was at a loss as to why the testing was showing that I had no muscle tone in that foot, but I obviously do. Very strange. I just wish I could find a doctor that would listen to all these symtoms and problems and connect the dots for me. I think it all goes back to this hip which could be related to my coccyx problem?? I also have mild scoliosis is my lower back..... any ideas

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow, that's soooo weird you typed that, it is exactly what I'm feeling with my one toe, and I did fall about 3 days back and bruised my tailbone. Must be it does affect the toes! I also have foot fungus which is what many have mentioned on here. I also have shooting pains through my feet and my sole of my foot feels bruised.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same symptom, band aid feeling around my second toe on right foot. I do go bare footed a lot. The under side of my other toes are lightly rough and calloused, but the under side of this effected toe is silky smooth. I can feel a sensation if I poke at it, but otherwise it feels like it has a tight band around it that I am constantly flicking my toes trying to get it off. I am in my early 50's and otherwise helathy. Anyone else have the smoothness? Wondering if it is neuropathy.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OMG.Me too.It just started a week ago.And it the most annoying thing.It doesnt hurt its just annoying.At first I thought I had something around my toe.When I looked there was nothing there.I thought it would go away in a few minuets,but its been a week and my toe still feels like theres a string tied around it.Its so weird.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Im a 33 year old female.I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and damaged my hip.I also get spasms in my inner thigh/groin area,and I also have DDD and DJD.Maybe thats whats causing the string around my toe feeling.Maybe the nerves in our back and or hip is pinched and causing reactions in our toes.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

49 year old healthy male with no meds no health issues.and im getting this feeling on ring toe !!no answeres here i guess?

11. pmscom

pmscom Guest

I have had this problem for about three months now in my right big toe/foot...but before that I would occasionally have a flare-up of it for a day or two and it would go away. But this time, it has stayed. My big toe feels like it is wrapped up in a lot of bandage of something or a tight rubber band. The balls of my feet feel cushioned. My entire foot feels strange and tight. Sometimes tingly. Sometimes I have nerve pain in my other toes. This has begun to flare now in my left foot. I sit at the computer all day working, but I make sure I get up from time to time...but as the day progresses my feet feel swollen (though they don't necessarily look swollen...they just feel that way). I went to my regular doctor, thinking I might have gout but he said no, that is not what it is. I went to a neurologist and he did nerve conduction studies...and concluded there was nothing wrong with my nerves. So I think next I am going to a podiatrist. Interestingly, no one has even thought to x-ray my foot! I wonder if it is arthritis. But it doesn't really feel like arthritis pain. It is totally different. I just wish someone would give me a shot or something to alleviate the discomfort. It is very annoying. At day's end, I have difficulty walking. I am 56 years old and am concerned how much worse it will get as I grow older and wish to remain independent. Any input anyone can give is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: ring toe? big toe numb feels tied with string

I have the sharp, piercing, shooting pain in my large toe on my right foot also. I've had it for a couple of years, NEVER totally leaving at any point. In addition, whenever I put my feet on the floor I get the "pins and needles" sensation in both feet. Incrediibly painful as well as very annoying. My diagonsis was Lupus AND Fibromyalgia. I sincerely hope NO ONE ELSE ends up with either of these as their diagonsis since I have NOT had a pain-free day since August, 2004. Good Luck Everyone, God Bless.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This just started this morning when I got up.. I thought I would Google it.
    Thought maybe it was something in my brain but the Nerve seems more likely.
    especially since I was self adjusting my back before bed.
    Thanks... Ill reply with an update after I go to the chiropractor.

14. Janet

Janet Guest

Can I join the club? I'm a healthy 68 year old woman and I just started feeling this sensation in my right big toe a few weeks ago. No pain, no discomfort, but I keep wondering what the hell it is. Glad it's not just me.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I would have to agree I think neuropathy!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Me too? I am 43, female, maybe 10 lbs overweight. Had surgery L5-S1 when I was 25. Never had sciatica again after that. I also get tinea versicolor and have it right now. No diabetes. Blood sugar on high side of normal. Blood work otherwise normal. No MS, no disc problem in back, no problem in brain, nothing else to explain it. I felt string feeling around base of second toe on right foot. I had bunion pain and then eventually the bottom of the ball of my foot felt like I was walking on something in the middle of the ball of my foot, like a smooth rock or...hard to describe. I had a mild hammer toe (2nd toe overlapped big toe a little). Bunion wasn't that big, but really hurt. I just had bunion surgery and a tendon transfer on the second toe. The pain I feel now is like I have a piece of barbed wire in between my big toe and second toe, pulling down. Also, I feel like I have a piece of elastic or string coming out of the top of my big toe and pulling down toward the bottom of the arch of my foot. Sometimes I get electric shock like pains in toes. I am 4 weeks out from surgery. PA says it is nerve pain. He prescribed 100mg gabapentin (aka neurontin). So far it hasn't helped much if at all. Hydrocodone didn't help either. I had Xanax on hand for anxiety, but I rarely take it. I took 0.25mg, really small dose, and that helped better than anything so far. PA said that makes sense that it would help, but of course, you can't take Xanax (the short-acting kind) every day. It makes me super sleepy. I told doc gabapentin wasn't helping. I don't know yet if he will increase dose. He also mentioned maybe trying Lyrica or Cymbalta. He said it will "probably" (great) get better as the foot heals from surgery. If I get any relief from anything else, I will post again. Good luck everyone!

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a theory... maybe its muscular. if a muscle is so tense, overworked or scar tissue had formed, there will be pressure on NUMEROUS nerves & blood vessels. your muscles learn to compensate for each other & conform to keep you functioning normally according on your daily activities.. that doesnt mean everything else will adapt as well. I suggest a really awesome, licensed massage THERAPIST ( not masseuse!!! ) No one who has just graduated.. you need someone experienced in taking the time consuming journey through each individuals muscular system... to the root of the issue or blockage.
    Best way to find one: Try calling any Massage school & ask for a teacher who will do work or who has a business of their own also....deep tissue/ neuromuscular/ trigger point work*** not swedish (fluffy stuff) massage.
    Honestly.. look for someone who doesnt watch what they do.. they FEEL it. :)... someone who gets "lost" per say. They will start a sentence or ask you a question while they are working on you, and then just stop talking suddenly :) sometimes for quite a while! as they are following, finding & healing your "booboo's "

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: left foot, last 3 toes feel like string wrapped in & around them

REAd #77... again, i seriously suggest a real massage therapist, probably followed by an experienced chiropractor. all those machines... & they say you have no muscle tone????????? what???? a doctor wont listen either????... most likely because he/she is at a loss for answers when a machine or test isnt created to give them an answer.. bad doctor.
    it is really hard to find a gifted massage healer.. but i promise we are out there :)

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

surgery creates scar tissue. with carpel tunnel syndrome, surgery just makes everything worse in time. they cut the band that holds all the tendons down around the wrist ( the retinaculum ).. yes, this helps, but only temporarily & usually has to be done again & again over time. that band is over worked, over stressed and TOO TIGHT. massage greatly improves these situations.. even after surgery, the scar tissue can be broken down greatly with time, but it is always easier BEFORE the scar tissue that the surgery created.

20. KBN

KBN Guest

I also have the feeling of having string tied around my left big toe. (Apparently, it is epidemic!) It is more noticeable when there is no pressure on the toe i.e. my feet are up. It is annoying but there is nothing obviously different from the rest of the toes and the color is good. Coincidently, I have a bit of a bunion on that toe so maybe it is a nerve thing.

Using fungus cream doesn't make sense to me. You would think if there was fungus, you would see something.

I think going to a doctor about this would be embarrassing because there is nothing to see, it doesn't make sense and what could they do!