1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Itchy Big Toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 21, 2009.

1. angel_i

angel_i Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Cool thread. Who'dathunk I'd find this here? I came with a question but find I have more answers now than I thought I did. My toe doesn't itch nearly as much as many of you. It really just could be psychosomatic for me - an army of cockroaches were unleashed on my building recently and altho it's under control I'm still shook...I just thought I'd peer around and double check BUT...

1. Raynaud's disease rarely shows symptoms in just one toe.
    2. Please do not bleach your toe - you could really burn your skin!
    3. I DO have dry feet and occasional issues with my palms as a result of generational diabetes. I do not have diabetes, just some of these trailing symptoms.
    4. Scabies anyone? It's a possibility.
    5. Nerve damage too.... i got frostbite as a young adult and sometimes experience weirdness in the tips of my fingers and toes when I'm swimming...
    6. I would yell at all y'all to GO SEE A DOCTOR like I'm about to do but I'm Canadian and don't wanna be rude:)
    7. Always pay attention to your skin reactions - often (but not always) it could be telling you something important about your internal organs.

Thanks everyone who's posting here. Forums like this are my life line!

2. Zinzi

Zinzi New Member

I have had an itch on my big toe on my right foot for nearly 3weeks now and its driving me insane! Its the most irritating thing in the world! I also dnt ve swellng or and fungal infection im sure. Coz the toe lukz perfectly normal. The are around my nail just gets red,but thats frm me scratchng it lyk a mad women! Please please. If u can help me please do. Dnt think its an allergy thou..coz im not using any products that i vnt been using in the past. Please help me, im going crazy crazy!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hallelujah! I thought I too was alone with this silly issue! The only thing that makes the most sense to me is the pinched nerve in my back. I'm so glad you posted this because a lightbulb lit up when I read it. My left side, lumbar area has been a little painful on & off for the past few weeks and it's my left big toe that has been itchy like crazy. Makes complete sense to me. Now, I'm gonna have to get it checked out because unlike some of the people on this post, I refuse to let this itchiness go on for years!!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just read all the entries on this page and although I didn't really find an answer, I was glad to know that others have this same
    problem (misery loves company). My pinky toe has been itching for years, worse when I put on socks. I get a bit of relief during the
    summer w/sandles, but not completely. Some days it can drive me
    up a wall. That toe is not much larger then the pinky toe on my
    other foot because I stand on it when it itches...I press pens,
    anything I can get hold of, on it....I cut the nail almost off and
    still it tortures me. Thanks for sharing. I'm not out there alone.
    OH, one doctor said it had to do with my nerves and nothing will
    help it...nice , huh?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

try cutting your nail as close as you can towards the edges...the nail may be causing the itching...it worked for me

6. auntlella13

auntlella13 New Member

i have suffered with this for a long time.
    i never had tried to use hydrocortizone cream, but i did after reading this forum. it worked fast. man, it is great to finally have relief.
    all i can say is try it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow I am amazed how many people have a similar problem! My 7 year old daughter started complaining of intense itchiness under her two big toe nails about six months ago. It comes and goes but when she has it, it can sometimes wake her in the middle of the night it is so unbearable. She finds relief only by applying pressure to the tops of the toenail. Just recently she has started feeling mild itching under her thumb nails as well

There is absolutely no sign of a fungal infection nor ingrown nail. The Lamisil cream prescribed by our doctor did nothing. There has never been any other itchiness on any other toe, toenail, finger or fingernail other than the big toenails and thumbnails of both feet and hands.

What is it??? How can I help her get some relief?

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

PLEASE stop being a dick. If you're going to use big "doctor" words and "medical" terms, consider also using spell check. Thanks for nothing, FootDocConfused.
    Anyhow, to all sufferers, I have the same problem and I work standing on solid concrete floors all day. The itching stops on my days off, but is worse the morning after a long shift. Circulation stockings=no more itchy toes, and better-feeling feet and legs! Give it a shot, poor circulation is a common problem and can lead to numb/itchy toes and feet.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

WOW! I'm not a doctor either but I didn't see any "doctor" words or "medical" terms that any lay person shouldn't be able to understand and the only spelling error was an obvious typo. Sound like you got short-changed on both your education and your personality.

10. azeo

azeo Guest

Hi fellows. I am no Dr. but let me put this post in hopes that we as a group with this hinderance can make progress.
    ::Like the person I'm quoting mine is on the left big toe ball. Freakishly, my upper part has been darkened with blood too. I'm wondering if this isn't neuroloical. I'd like to know how manys peoples nail has been ripped off or injured. How many people have had ingrowns with the same toe?
    TIPS:
    Dear forum: today I got a pummice stone from the drugstore. they are cheap. The night before I scraped the toe very clean with a knife. Be carefull. Just scrape it away kind of like shaving.
    Keep your stone until it starts itching again.
    Then take that bitch to your toe and you rub that mother****er untill you can see the steam come off and smell your flesh burning.
    And if that little worm is still squirming or nerve or whatnot, I would be very surprised. My toe is burning so right now and it's HEAVEN

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same problem with no sign of fungal infection. Didn't matter. There was a fungal infection. Do a deep clean around and under the nail. I mean make some space. Then liberally douse it several times a day with Tinactin. Mine was gone in 3 days.

12. snookkk9

snookkk9 Guest

i have an itched toes on my foot 3 of them too So what do i do!

Written by snookkk9 message:make a stardoll and vote me missstardoll world! stardollname:snookkk9

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you Templeton! When you mentioned DYSHIDROTIC ECZEMA, I know that I have the answer to my problem. It's all make sense to me. For few years now, my left big toe has been very itchy on the top side where the toe bends. When it acts up, every 2-3 months, skin in that area gets harden and cracked along the toe's crease. Skin turns pink when I scratch it for a while and sometimes causes blister(s) to show up. I tried anti-fungal cream, thinking that I have some kind of athelete foot, since wearing shoes, heat, and sweat, make it worse. The cream helps a little, but still is bothering me. The episodes occur more frequent lately that I decided that I should see a foot doctor or dermatologist soon. Besides the toe problem, once or twice a year I get one or two tiny itchy blisters on my fingers. I scratched on one really bad that the blister got big, poped, and infected. Ended up in ER because the infection went into my blood stream and was moving up my arm very fast. Now, I think the two things I got are related and one of the same. I don't have hydrocortisone cream but do have Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment (Ezema cream) that my doctor prescribed to me for my occational ezema on my cheek. It stops the itch immediately. Put it on last night, this morning, one of the ichy bump was gone, the skin is soften and on its way to normal again. In a few days, it should be completely gone. If it is not, I will come back and update the post. So far, so good. Thanks again.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Try taking Tylenol with Codeine and apply an ice pack for a long while.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My itch is caused by a blood disorder call Essential thrombocytosis. It is recommended that I take aspirin but I find Tylenol with Codeine along with an ice pack works well.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi this is Azeo,
    My itchy left big toe has gotten worse. Well all my left toes itch but let me tell you about my discovery on my left toe.
    I've been cutting the callous off my toe thinking it would help. I got daring and cut the callous all the way by the cease. I know I didn't cut too deep but it was very red but not bleeding. I found the infection, under the callous.
    Now this is only the beginning. After soaking the open wound in bleech water and having a good itch with my pumice stone first I noticed that it seemed I rubbed the top section behind big toe nail raw. Wrong, I discovered my big toe is also infected under the skin through the cuticle. It has eaten a hole through my nail by the cuticle. The skin has turned *****.
    The itch still feels the same but I'm not done fighting.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have the same as well as my lips. The toes are worse at night. Could it be nerves?

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Unbelievable! I have been dealing with this issue for a few years now, on and off. I have the itching on my second toe of L foot only and it is truly enough to make me insane. I have really ripped up the toe skin doing the carpet scratch!!

I have found some relief soaking the toes in apple cider vinegar. Athlete's foot cream does nothing (except maybe make it worse??) I am trying the allergy route and have been reading up on the dyshidrotic eczema thing. Somewhat fits the description, including the thickened skin part. We have some triamcinolone cream in the house (several of us with sensitive skin and issues!!) which I may try next.

Definitely not gout. My dad has that--affects his feet. Very swelled at the joint, bright red and very painful. Needs treatment but is not itchy.

Nice to know I am not the only one with this issue. Too bad we can't get a quick and easy solution! Thanks to everyone who shared info or a suggestion...

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow! My big toe on my right foot itches immeasurably on the bottom pad near the crease. It's done this for nearly two years now. As I type this, I'm rubbing my toe on my carpet. Thought I was crazy until I read this entire thread. My Hubby has athletes foot, so I'm super careful to not catch his fungal infection. Even still, I use the fungal spray when the itchiness flares up, but to no avail. It does nothing to stop the itch. Also, my toe doesn't look like his ugly yellow-nailed toes (sorry honey :) My toe is not red or blistered and there are no visible signs of anything wrong. The pad is a little thickened, which I believe is caused by my incessant scratching. I wear sandals, not tight shoes, bathe my feet at least once a day, and live in a dry, mild climate with no snow. And, actually, it seems like my scratching it increases the itchiness tenfold. So, I try to tough it out and remind myself to not scratch.

I think I'll try the ice pack, hydrocortisone, aspirin treatment. I hope it works, because the itch is unbearable! I'm sorry all of you have itchy toes too, but it's nice to not be alone. I can't believe the medicos don't have this figured out, yet.

20. These are my symptoms exactly. And I have always been VERY careful what my feet are exposed to (lots of sports and dance growing, so I'm aware of how easy it is to pick up irritating skin things). But the past 2 days have been horrible - this is new to me. I'm grateful to all who have contributed tho this forum.
    And if I can figure out a solution or relief to mine will post. I'm going to take Benadryl tonight so I don't rub it while I'm half asleep - and so it doesn't keep me up half the night like last night.

I included where I live in case there's a environmental factor that is similar between any other sufferers. I live in a temperate climate. I did travel recently to the southeast US, and the itch has come since I have returned. I don't know if it's related or not.
    Good luck, everyone.