1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Plantar Fasciitis treatment??????

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was dx with plantar fasciitis three years ago. This dx was confirmed by an ultrasound. I have tried night splints, stretching, immobilization, custom orthotics in good shoes, eswt, steroid shot and two rounds of cryosurgery. The cryosurgery provided decent relief for about 5 months the first time and 8 months the second time. The symptoms appear to be returning again. I really do not want a release due to the potential for the surgery to destabilize the foot and make things worse. The podiatrist also feels that the surgery is the absolute last resort.

Despite all of the interventions, I still get flare ups. I do go through periods of time where my symptoms are pretty mild - more of an annoyance but then get flare ups which are NOT fun. Yesterday, three years after my initial dx, the podiatrist took new x-rays which were normal and did a repeat ultrasound. One foot showed thickening 6.5 and the other 7.5. The doctor suggested that we try prolotherapy. He said that he has had a number of patients who have reported excellent results. If that doesn't work, then he would do radiofrequency ablation. I am only 10 lbs overweight so that shouldn't really be a factor. I do have grade 3 to 4 arthritic changes in both knees. Could that have caused gait changes that have triggered plantar fasciitis? Why do some people, like me, continue to have symptoms despite undergoing a myriad of treatments?
    What kind of results have you found with prolotherapy? With radiofrequency ablation?

2. [pammie

[pammie Guest

I am a podiatrist and I get superb results using cold laser 6 to 12 treatments. In the beginning I get my patients foot rested using an air cast. Not to be used as a crutch merely to help healing. I don't do any exercises until I get the pain under control. I also use Homeopathic remedies. I have a 98% result I look after a lot of Post men or post persons who have the worst plantar fascitis pain.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Cold laser . . . homeopathy . . 98% success . . GIVE ME A BREAK.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The doc didn't say he had a 98% successful results.--just a 98% results. The results could be bad. Can't tell by the post. Anyway, why did you jump all over him for just trying to be helpful? His reply was sure better than yours.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

1. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together (what does that say about YOU) would understand that the poster was claiming 98 percent success and not just 98 percent "results." If he/she meant otherwise, "100 percent results" would have been the appropriate claim.

2. The question from the original poster was, "What kind of results have you found with prolotherapy? With radiofrequency ablation?" and as I have had no experience with either for this condition, I did not answer at all. Your apparent assertion that ANY answer is better than NO answer is a patently flawed belief.

3. Anyone who pushes cold laser, homeopathy and/or claims 98 percent success for any treatment of plantar fasciitis DESRVES to be jumped all over.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

WOW--So, if someone disagrees with you, they are, in your books, CRAZY?

I am sure glad you are not my doctor.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Claims such as had been made are often intended to prey upon the desperate or naive and uninformed folks such as you. A word to the wise is only effective if the listener IS wise. Unless you are here only to disrupt and make a fool of yourself, it is probably because the doctor YOU chose couldn't or didn't do the job for YOU. I'm pleased more than are you that I am not your doctor.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was looking for a place to post my experiences with plantar fascitis. I have had success and wanted to share my methods. I remember scouring the internet back when things were really bad for me and I read some horror stories. It can be crippling and for a period of about 4-6 months, it was for me. I don't appreciate the attitude of the "Foot Doc" and I will look further for a place to post my experience. If I think of it and can find this page again, I will drop back and post a link to the forum thread (hopefully I find one) that harbors much more positive discussion around the topic.

And to the Foot Doc, I just thought I'd let you know that no one appreciates sarcasm in this type of setting. It doesn't come across well and isn't productive. And you don't need to unleash your anger or frustration with a particular procedure, medical philosophy or whatnot is such a belittling way. You, sir, come across a very arrogant, unprofessional man. If you are not these things, I recommend that you change your tone.

There really ought to be a way to flag posts that are not welcome.

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

For you and anyone else who believes in cold lasers, homeopathy and claims of 98 percent good results in plantar fasciitis treatment, let me direct you to someone who will offer to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge at a VERY good price. I'm sure that there are others such as you who think that good sense and the debunking of snake oil remedies is tantamount to sarcasm, but charltons depend on those such easy marks as you to get rich. YOU come across as very naive and I could care less whether you post your experiences here or not.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

In reading everyone's stories here, I would like to add my experience with this. I have been see by two different Podiatrists now for PF and interestingly enough both prescribed orthotics.
    One was convinced that the first did not cast my feet well as "by now the pain should have dissapeared". Although I have two sets of orthotics now, the pain never truly went away until I myself realized that I needed to reduce the inflamation. Not once was I prescribed an anti- inflamatory drug during my visits so I came upon Advil Cold & Sinus medicine by chance. I soon started to get relief and after 5 days the pain was gone.
    There are times when depending upon the walking or activity I do, I feel the PF tighten up to a numb pain, but I can deal with this as opposed to what I was experiencing (hot knives) before.
    The moral here is, that doctors too can sometimes forget the most basic meds to releive ones pain and orthotics are not the solve all remedy for everyone.

11. Lbear

Lbear New Member

Hi, I am new to this website. I am researching shock wave therapy for long term plantars. I have had it for over a year. Nothing seems to be helping. My ortho suggested shock wave therapy - said there were no long term neg. side effects. Has anyone else heard of this? Had good results?

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had tried ALL non invassive techniques for over a year to no avail. I also tried ESWT which did nothing. I finally had cryosurgery which got rid of the pain. My plantar fascia is still very thick but then again that will never change. I have been pain free for two years following the two rounds of cryo. This worked for me but it may or may not work for you. I just want to through the option out there

13. Me Too

Me Too Guest

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with FootDoc regarding charlatan "snake oil" claims. In researching my own foot issues, I have come across tons of stuff that supposedly will "heal" my condition (like a massage oil) ... which makes no sense.

I do think Foot Doc could be a little more diplomatic in his answers for sure, as I think he is actually working against what he professes to be trying to do: Getting people to use their common sense, go to their doctor and use the internet to add to what their doctor has said, not instead of a doctor's advice. He is someone who has a wealth of knowledge he could share in a general way when people have questions, but becaue he is so abrasive, mean and condescending in his responses, instead of achieving his goal he actually drives people away from this forum to other places where doctors may not be so ethical regarding internet diagnosis -- and may be actually driving posters right into the arms of these snake-oil salesmen instead of helping them see the folly of the claims.

Instead of the answer he gave, he could easily have said "As a doctor, I can state emphatically that this treatment is totally unproven for this type of injury and believe it would be a waste of money and time to pursue this. The claims made by this person are totally unsubstantiated." and leave it at that.

That said, I don't think we'll change how FootDoc responds, so you have to "read between the lines" and take the "tone" away from his messages to see what he actually means and not take it personally. He responds to about 75% of the posters on here in that manner, so it's not just you....

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Actually Me Too, I have seen few if any posts from the foot doc in quite some time and have you seen what is passing for answers now on this site. It's become a combination of social media and the guess of the day club. Be careful what you wish for.

15. Me Too

Me Too Guest

Foot Doc may not be responding as often this past week as usual, but he's still here. He has a wealth of knowledge and this site could be a huge hub of patient information (not diagnosing per se), giving patients extra information regarding procedures or conditions so they could go forward in making decisions. Not everyone has a doctor who explains things well, or takes the time to answer when patients ask, unfortunately, and patients do not always have the option to switch doctors, either due to geography or the makeup of the medical system (referral system, etc.)

Unfortunately, he doesn't dispense this knowledge in the most tactful or diplomatic way, which is unfortunate as it takes away from the essence of his message. I've found much information on this site. I don't wish for this to be a site where "patients" try to diagnose each other, but do like the sharing of experiences as sometimes things that have happened to others may "twig" a memory or thought in someone regarding their own situation.

I look forward to more information, and more entertainment reading Foot Doc's responses to some of the questions.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi
    I have planter fascitis which is very painful & I am struggling with my basic daily activities for last 4 years.
    Any advice as to what can I do. I am in Birmingham.

You can email me on sonia_stevens2001@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

17. SuperMemo

SuperMemo New Member

You really shouldn't insult valued participants on this forum. The foot doc is very helpful, but honest. I'm sure most would agree.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my dr wants to do surgery on my foot ... what do i do... I know from experience that it does not go away... and I am in a lot of pain, someday s I can walk and other days I cant..

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So what did you do for it???

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've tried a lot of different things: pain medication, massage, reflexology, inserts, acupuncture, chiropractic care, and even essential oil treatment. (Please don't insult my intelligence--I was desperate.) Finally, a health care professional suggested I wear SAS shoes. When I went to the shoe store, the individual who helped me said, "People come in for SAS shoes for plantar fasciitis all the time." So I jumped (limped) on the bandwagon, and have had major improvements.