1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Foot is really cold after leg surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My husband had surgery on his leg for the second time after putting a machete in the side of it. The orthopedic dr. had to drill a hole through his tibia and put the peroneal nerve through there. well now its been a week since surgery and when he has his leg down for a short to long period of time his foot gets ice cold, and he is still using crutches. once he puts it back up with some blankets it warms up again..... What is going on? is something wrong that we need to worry about? He went back to Orthopedic dr. and he said he didn't know what would be causing that....

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I have no idea why the peroneal nerve might have been diverted through the tibia. Are you sure you got that right? But, moving on . .
    I've gotta suggest that a foot getting "ice cold" could NOT be considered a good sign, whether after surgery or not. My best thought would be that the appropriate next stop after all your doctor's orthopedic surgeon could say was that he didn't know what could be causing it would, in my opinion, NOT be the Internet.

3. Cold foot

Cold foot Guest

I had neuroma surgery & a year + later my foot gets freezing. It takes several hours, to go back to normal,& have been using a wool blend socks, that does help, but my foot Dr. #1 doesn't feel it....& # 2 never heard of it. After several visits, he's referred me to Nuerologist, who ask if the sheet/blanket hurts, yes, & he felt the coldness also. Even though the maximum doesn't happen till the end of the day, then it's frozen.
    I've now been referrred t a Vascular Dr. Which I have no vein problms..This coldness stops me from going out & walking on it. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks, have also had dble,meniscus left knree orthos.which didn't cause the coldness, but I have contant calf pain, ect. & now Mri shows, Cartilige,surgery needed...I'm so confused,about all of the ortho's discussions or lack of.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having a very similar problem to the people on this thread. I had a meniscus transplant 4 weeks ago and now I have a very cold foot. If I put it down (sitting or walking) within minutes my foot turns purple and swells. It feels like nails are in my foot. The only relief is after it is elevated for some time. I went to my surgeon yesterday and he said he had no idea why this was happening. He had me get a dopplar vein scan and I was fine. He is doing research to see why this is happening. If anyone has ideas why this is happening, please post!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Read up on rsd then call Son ridge Health Center-it is curable. I was cured a few yrs ago by them.