1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain on the upper right side of heel

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have recently been experiencing pain on the right side of my foot, about 1 inch above the base of my foot (heel) Its a sharp stabbing pain when I walk. standing still is no problem but whan I walk its agony. I have never had any problem like this before and it came on really suddenly. Its not swollen, maybe a little red, but that may be where I have been putting pressure on it to ease the pain.

Any ideas on what it might be would be great.
    Many thanks

Shona

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've had the exact same problem. And this has happened to me a few times over the last 10-15 years. The pain appears suddenly and I can't recall doing anything out of the ordinary from my regular schedule. And then after about half way during the day, it suddenly dissappears, and does not come back for months or years...
    The pain is about 1-1.5 inch from the base of my right heel, on the right side. Shoots sharp pain when I walk, and is perfectly fine when I sit or not extend my heel. No sign of any redness or swelling. Really weird!!!

3. don

don Guest

I have the same problem .. from running 5 days a week after 10 years..it finally happened .. foot problem ..the pain as you described ...i haven't ran in three weeks andtoday I ran again and the pain is back like it was before .. going to a doctor for this

4. Dabreadman

Dabreadman New Member

are you a runner ??? my foot is killing me when i put any pressure on it ..

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem....I'm seeing a doctor next week. With all the research I've been doing it might be a stress fracture.

6. Dabreadman

Dabreadman New Member

I'm back .. ended up getting prescription "shoe inserts" for both feet. I wear them all the time .cost about 350 but insurance took care of most of it . I am back running but i know if i'm not careful I could reinjure it again :)

7. donnacusimano

donnacusimano New Member

My pain is in the exact location but does not occur when I walk ,stand or sit. It only happens when I stretch my foot especially to the right. The pain is very sharp and needle-like.

8. donnacusimano

donnacusimano New Member

The pain in my upper right heel is very sharp and needle-like and only happens when I stretch my foot, especially circling to the right. It never hurts nwhen I walk , stand or sit. Strange.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Next time you're in your car tell me if the outside of your right heel rests on the floor with your foot on the gas or with cruise control.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

@donnacusimano I have the exact same problem! Especially (and this will sound insane) if I quickly extend my foot, kind of kicking upwards (in addition to the circular stretching you mention). Every time I get a sharp shooting pain. It almost feels like there's something INSIDE my foot causing this pain? But there's no swelling and no redness. SO strange. Did you ever figure it out?

11. Giacomobo

Giacomobo Guest

@donnacusimano This describes exactly what's going on with my heel. Anybody get it diagnosed?

12. qmsgirl

qmsgirl Guest

Me too! Sharp needle like pain in the right side of my heel if I stretch it but otherwise no redness or pain. If I keep stretching the sharp pains subside. I'm a runner too and I'm going to try a new pair of running shoes first of all. there is a podiatrist here that sells running shoes so I will go there. will let you know if that solves the problem. Anyone else have any luck with diagnosis and fixing?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I got the same exact pain in my right heel. I'm going to the doctors this thursday will let you know if he finds anything.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I must have injured or twisted my ankle walking on cement floor. Hurts in the side of heels, both sides. Also hurts on bottom of heel when you get up in the morning until you start walking some. Looks like verticle blisters come up on the sides of ankle ?? Ankle cracks when stretching toes back , have to get the cracking out by stretching. All the expensive shoe inserts from stores do not work or get rid of the pain . What helped me so far was buying Drew Walker II shoes, than take all the inserts out of that shoe and put Ener-Gel Insoles in it, that is the blue and red insert that has horizontal slots through the bottom of the insert and these gel insoles are real thick and flat. It is helping. Look Ener-Gel up on internet, place in Pennsylvania sells them. As for Drew shoes, look it up on the internet, I just bought the Drew Walker II because I work on hard cement floor that is 2 feet thick probably. This combination seems to be helping me now with this one insert brand. You also need to do exercises for this, look it up on the internet. Probably be best to get custom sole inserts molded to your feet with a prescription from a foot doctor, I have not done this yet. Still might have to get that done but my combination of shoe and inserts is working now. Hard to cure the problem when you have to walk on cement all the time. I will figure it out or else have to go to foot doctor and try custom inserts, other than that, I don't figure foot doctor can do much about it. I hear they have something like ultra sound they can use on you, same thing they use to break up kidney stones. Good luck everyone, if you can get rid of this problem??

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was reading this blog with the hope that someone was going to offer an explanation. My symptoms are the same as those described: sharp shooting pain on the right side of my heel on the right foot. This only happens if I take a long step forward with my right when walking or if I stretch my right leg and especially if I try rotating my foot to the left at the same time. I can also feel a bit of numbness on my skin that is directly over where the deep shooting pain is worst. And no visible swelling or redness. This is the first time I have experienced this. It began about 4 weeks ago. I am male and 38. I have not bumped my foot or sprained my ankle in a very long time. About 2 weeks ago I began to feel a similar but less painful sensation with the left side. I saw a doctor who insisted that it is just soft tissue and damage and that I should just give it some rest - I am not convinced. I am worried that it might be a problem with circulation or neurological since I suffer with back pain. The only thing that I can think of that I have done different recently is using a treadmill at the gym for the past 7 weeks and living in a colder climate for past 3 months. I hope the doctor is right.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

When I went to my doctor he seems to think i may have injured a nerve and gave me voltaris to use. Been using it for about 4 week and pain is still there. He wants to shoot me up with some steroids in the area not sure if I want to do that yet.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sounds like what I have. Doctor told me it was a heel spur and plantar fasciitis.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Anyone get a good answer of what this is? I have the same issue is on my left foot on right side. Only hurts if i stretch it or do a circular motion. Going to see a podiatrist tomorrow but trying to get some answers first.

19. oopz

oopz Guest

I only get this kind of pain (medial and lateral to my heels) when I start swimming laps, as on a road trip. I have no pool access at home, so I only do land-based or gym-based workouts. Every time I go out of town and have access to a 25 m. pool for laps, I incur this sharp pain. I have stopped doing lap swimming for that reason. Mine calms down within a week or so, and I self-massage the areas a few times a day. Also slowly rotate the ankle in both directions.

20. Mike

Mike Guest

Last week I started experiencing the same pain people are describing here. I was walking into work and suddenly felt the pain on the outside of my right heel -- it was really strange. It came first as a stabbing sensation. I am a runner and had run a few miles barefoot the night before (which I have been doing for years).

My pain isn't too bad at all -- it's more of a nuisance. When I take Advil it goes away to some degree, and when I put my foot in a bucket of ice for ten minutes, it feels much better.

I am thinking that in my case, it must be tissue damage. I don't think it can be planter fasciitis because it doesn't hurt when I stretch my foot or run on the balls of my feet. I think it is from heel striking on hard cement when running downhill barefoot too fast.

Sorry that I'm not offering any new help or suggestions. In the end, rest, ice, and stretching the calves, achilles, and arch are probably a good idea.