1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain on "pad" of foot beneath toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 17, 2008.

1. OuchHolly

OuchHolly Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I just saw my doctor yesterday. I went in for pain in the pad below the 2 and 3rd toe. It also felt like I was walking on a cotton ball. Did not hurt in the morning, but by 9am I had a limp. It made me walk on the outside of my foot, causing more pain to the foot and then up the outside ankle. I was pretty scared I had a stress fracture. After xrays, it was determined I did not. After an exam with the doc, it was determined as plantar fascitis. This was confusing to me because I had ZERO pain in the heal. This had been going on for about 2 months, progressivly getting worse. Doc gave me some inserts (for both shoes). The inserts have a fairly thick added/stuck on pad on the arch. He added a small pad on the heal (not so thick but bouncy) and then on the lower/bottom outside of the insert he added two strips of pads. These pads are located on the far outside of the insert and are used to turn my foot inward so I don't walk on the outside. The pad on the arch is used to remove pressure from my upper foot pad by the toes. I have had the inserts in all morning and I can't express HOW MUCH these help. I was to the point where I was wearing tennis shoes inside the home all the time. Flip Flops were out of the question. Aleve and ice/heat were used everyday. We will see how it goes, no matter though because the immediate relief was worth it. Downside, I had to buy bigger shoes to fit the inserts. Not sure that's a downside ;). I am not a doctor, just a patient, I can't say this will help anyone but after reading this post I though I could help. The brand of the insert is Power Step, I do not know where all the additional pads and such came from. They are all different colors so I can't imagine they come with the insert. The inserts with added padding cost was 28.00 from the doctor's office.

2. SharonH

SharonH New Member

I'm having the same problem w/my right foot and it came on suddenly. Mine isn't very painful but definitely sore(I'm limping) and the swelling is on the ball of my foot concentrated behind my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes.
    My podiatrist admits he's not sure what it is but thinks it may be a small rupture of the plantar near the toes. An X-ray ruled out a fracture. At first it wasn't painful at all just swollen and it feels like a lump on the ball of my foot. I especially notice it when barefoot on a flat surface like the shower. But since it began 3 weeks ago it has become more painful. Yesterday I started contrast bath to hopefully bring down the swelling.. I'm to do that 3 times per day and I can try advil to see if that helps with the inflammation. Also he gave me stretching exercises to do and also sent me home with orthotics for my shoes will that lift the metatarsals, taking the pressure off that area. They feel really weird! The nurse told me to start off wearing them only 1 to 2 hours per day and build up.
    The podiatrist also said it's possible I have a cyst or any of the "itises" as he put it. lol They all involve inflammation. He said it's only been 3 weeks and to give it more time and try to be patient. I would have liked a definitive diagnosis but apparently I'm not going to get one.

Hope this helps!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have same pain although when I put weight on foot my toes separates causing big gap between toes. I have had 2 surgeries (capsulotomy) no help. Everything I look up points to plantar plate tear. See if you can find any info on that

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had what turned out to be swelling behind small toe and inflamation feeling. It spread across the pad behing the toes on the right foot. Before it got to the 3rd toe on the right foot, problem started on the left foot. On both feet it is now to the point when the entire pad on both feet feel swollen and inflamed and it is spreading to the rest of the foot, now going down the sides of the feet. I have seen numerous Doctors. Two foot Doctors who did nothing more than fit me for shoe inserts whcih have done nothing. Feet have been x rayed, blood flow checked in both legs, nerves checked in both legs, blood sugar checked, everything has proven negative except for some blood flow restrictions in the leg. Yet problem keeps spreading and Doctors do not seem to interested in finding out what is wrong. Latest Doc gave me medicine for PAD, has done nothing. Also wants repeat of ABI Test. I get the distinct feeling I am having this problem and the cause is my old age, 72, nothing else.

Help

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Pain on "pad" of foot beneath toes-prior post

Correction on my prior post

I have feeling that the Doctors are looking at problem on both my feet is an old age problem. 71 yr old, and seem to have little interest in looking for the cause, except shot in the dark tests

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It is not plantar Fasciatis, I know because I have had it, and these symptoms are totally different.It feels like water under the skin on the pad of my foot.

7. Beth1976

Beth1976 Guest

I am soooo frustrated! Please help!

I am self employed and have no insurance. A doc at a low cost clinic gave me the quick answer of Plantar F. I don't know if he told me that just because it the easy answer or if its true. I have EXCRUCIATING pain in the ball of my feet and heel. I am female and only 105lbs. I do have Lyme disease, but in otherwise great health. I walk my dog often and hike & snowshoe about 12 times a year.

I can ONLY wear Schetchers shapeups due to the fact that the pressure in only on the mid area and relieves pressure on the painful parts. NO website EVER states pain in the ball of feet as being part of P.F.

I have been trying night splints but have not made it through the whole night yet, due to discomfort, but I do more hours each time. Last night I made it until 2:30am, but today I am in HORRIBLE pain. I can only walk on the outter edges of my feet. (My feet are on ice right now as I type this).

Questions- 1) Does this sound like P.F. to you? Do other people get equal pain in the BALL of the foot and HEEL?
    2)When wearing night splints is it normal for the pain to get worse before it gets better?

Thank you for any help:}

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm just curious why the foot doctor is such a jerk? Is that what he learned at foot school for doctors with no bedside manner? Not to mention incredibly unhelpful. The other posters give better answers.

9. Speckler

Speckler Guest

Wikipedia has full reads for both Plantar Fascitis and Morton's Neuroma.

It would seem that Mornton's has an association to P.F. as it is the same Plantar tendon that runs from the heel to toe. It would be a safe assumption that a person could suffer from both at the same time as well.

From body building I learned that heating up a muscle or group of to then stretch it is significantly more effective than a cold stretch. With the area full of blood a full properly pressed and held stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds a person can more effectively squeeze out an area of focus. I take in the morning upon first discoving the painful symptoms 600mg of Ibuprofen with 500mg of Methocarbamol (1 extra strength Motrin and 1 Robax Platinum) 30 minutes before applying a heating pad (Magic bag or similar) to the area of pain for 10 minutes and then with the hands pull the toes back to the point of "almost" discomfort "NO MORE THAN" and hold for 30 seconds. If you feel the sensation of what could be described as "melted mozzarella" or "hot chewed bubblegum" being pulled apart in the area of interest you have achieved your goal... Repeat twice more... the day will now be better...

I believe I suffer from both, often at the same time. I also think I suffer from mild arthritis as the symptoms lean toward that condition or the onset of as well, I am 41, wear carbon fiber toed as light as possible work boots, generally weigh 50lbs - 150lbs more for 8-10 hours a day from carrying material and/or my tools. I hike, climb and generally behave as if I was still 20... My feet take abuse! When I get an attack of those symptoms I do the above treatment. It lessens the duration from 4-6 days down to 2 and after 2 years have realized that it is longer between attacks of the affliction.

I fully intend to get custom orthotics (most companies with benifits offer $400 CDN a year for this including the Dr. appt.) in the next 2 months to further increase time between these painful attacks. Surgery is never an option as it often has complications more undesirable than the actual condition one is trying to fix. Taking extra time in the day for something that needs to be accepted as life long and becoming good at the management of it... that's the key... take a little joy in knowing you have it under control.

Now the disclaimer... this is my solution for me! I am healthy, a lean 210lbs at 5'10" 41 yrs old male. If you choose to try my methad it's at your own risk 100%. A doctors visit with this information in hand for his/her review to apply to your physiology should always be done. Seriously, a 105lb woman compared to my physical discription and what I do for work, LOL !!! We all get this right? My pain meds might put her out for a few hours!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Think about the shoes you're wearing when the pain starts or is worse. Probably no arch support or bare foot. Get arch supports for both the heel and the pad discomfort/pain. They make them for the arch and heel only so you don't have to buy different shoes for toe room. Wear them ALL the time and from now on only buy shoes with arch supports! You may have to look for flip flops with arch supports, but they exist!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

If you can feel a lump, might it be a Ganglion cyst?

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    I think it's sesamoiditis. It's often a dancer's injury since we're always up on the balls of our feet. It's basically the bruising and overuse of the bones that extend from your toes and continue underneath the fleshy pad, "ball", of the foot. If you press the bony areas underneath the fleshy pad, you will feel tenderness at the bone level. You can buy pads with cutouts to help eliminate pressure on the affected area. They're called dancer pads, often. I have it from dancing and working in retail in heels on hard floors :(

13. sesamoiditis

sesamoiditis New Member

What type of shoes do you wear on a daily basis? Are they high heeled? If so this could be causing part of the problem.

14. runnermom

runnermom Guest

I just completed my first marathon 1.5 weeks ago. It rained for most of the run. I had several blisters and a couple of purple toes. However, these are healing fine. However, I have a painful spot on the bottom of my foot in the middle of my front pad where I strike. It's actually close to where the foot pad ends and the arch begins.

I can feel a little bump there, about the size of a small pea, but it is not raised above the surface. It is not in the bone, but seems to be (maybe) a blister deep under the skin. I remember starting to feel it at about mile 8. It didn't bother me too much during the marathon, but it seems to be getting a little more tender each day. There is no discoloration and no visible bump. I have tried to take some time off running, and even walking, but I really need it to get better soon.

Should I see a podiatrist, or are there some things I might try at home first?

15. ggkidzot

ggkidzot Guest

Well, this is discouraging to read how many people have these problems and seem to be getting no answers or relief! I have similar pain...it started suddenly at the base of the 2nd through 4th toes, with extreme pain, burning, painful to touch. It's also very painful to touch my the underside of my toes. One podiatrist said it was tendonitis of the extensors, which made no sense, because why would it hurt underneath? Another doctor dismissed it as diabetic neuropathy. (I do have neuropathy, but this does not seem related, in my opinion.) I've developed hammertoe on the 2nd toe, and the space between toes seems to be spreading. From my research, I was thinking it might be capsulitis or a ruptured joint capsule. I finally got insurance and am hoping for some answers when I can finally see an orthopedist.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow... seems that a lot of people have that same weird pain and lumpy feeling on the ball of their foot. Mine started with the left foot and a case of gout. Then a few months later, I got gout in the right foot and now I have the pain and lump feeling in that foot. Actually it is worse in the right foot. It gets better and then worse and back and forth, but it never goes completely away. I am seeing my gout doctor on May 1st and see what he says. I'm not going to try to guess. I'll let the doctor figure it out.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, Ellie and everyone else who's posted. I'm completely new to joining forums, but was so glad to see some people having the same issues as I am. Ellie, did you get a diagnosis and successful treatment? My symptoms, the same as yours, have every doctor co6 confused and I've gotten nowhere for months. Can you tell me any good news???? Thanks a million.

18. I have a question....
    My 10 year old notice a cut under my 1 year old daughter's pinky toe. I looked at it and put a bandadge on it. It's like every time she put on shoes she takes them off. I never knew why. So I was washing her feet and notice under both of her pinky toes there is like a bump. Trying to describe it. Like a piece of fat and cuts are under them both. Starting to think that's why she dont wont shoes on. Do one have any idea of what it could be?

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same thing happening. On my left foot. I'm type 1 diabetic and have excellent blood sugar control, checking regular, etc. I have been thinking it could be a ganglion cyst since they tend to occur near joints and I've had them before, as well as tendonitis and metatarsalgia. When I had metatarsalgia, I found that wearing a pair of Birkenstock shoes for a few days made it clear up entirely and quickly too. Not very attractive, but did work well. (got that advice from my podiatrist)
    As for the ganglion cyst, the doctor has drained them, leaving the cyst open under the skin so it drains, hopefully forever then on, so far so good on mine. When I've had tendonitis, I've been given steroid shots and found that the more of those you get, the less effective they can become. I also found that deliberately lessening the use of the affected area allows it to heal, but that takes quite a bit of time. Bottom line is a doctor is necessary for correct diagnosis and more than likely will offer the best help, therefore worth the cash.

20. Robin

Robin Guest

My problem is that I can't stand on right pad of my foot--it gives out with extreme pain, I just crumple to the floor. I have had it before and it comes and goes. Must get irritated from time to time. It I try to stand on that pad right now I would fall to the floor. Pain is severe when I do that. The odd thing is it comes and goes. I have had planter fasictis and have inserts to wear in my shoes for this. Wondering what this is.

Robin