1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

numbness in big toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    i am a 17 year old male. i have noticed these problems recently. i am positive it is linked to the fact i work (standing) 12 hours a day on concrete. i replaced my soles and that seemed to help.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well gosh! Who knew that this was so common?!

I'm 32, no children, had an epidural for knee surgery about 10 years ago. I have a mild scoliosis, hypermobile joints and ONE NUMB TOE! The left side of my right toe has been numb for a couple of months now. I'm pretty sure it's because I've gone through a spate of repeatedly spraining my right ankle... I'm a teacher and spend a lot of time kneeling/getting up/kneeling/getting up/kneeling/getting up in an uncoordinated manner and rolling my ankle. But I thought I'd google and found this thread, so I'll add my story too. The toe is numb. Circulation is good and the numbness isn't spreading.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 31 and this problem struck me when I was 19 and in boot camp "the boots" and 12 years later the feeling still hasnt returned to the outside of both big toes. For those that this thing has just happened too, well it appears that it's permanent :\

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi everyone, I'm 33 years old, male, and I have the same problem with my right big toe. It's been feeling numb for about 2 months now, on the tip and slightly on the side. It started suddenly when I wore crappy sandals for about a week (the ones that hang on by a single strap between your big toe and second toe). I never usually wear those, but I believe that's what kicked the numbness in... and it hasn't gone away since.

Glad to see i'm not alone. I'm planning a visit to a general practitioner soon to see what the next steps could be.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Numbness In Big Toes (PLEASE READ THIS!)

I'm 23yrs Old And Have Been Working In Steel/Composite To Boots Since 18
    While Working For FedEx Express. I First Noticed That My Toes Were Numb
    @ 21yrs A Couple Months Before I Was Fired. Didn't Know What It Was.
    May Be A Symptom Of Diabetes Or Effects From Being Over Weight, Seeing
    As How I Was Almost 500lbs In High School. But, I Figured That It Couldn't Be
    Because I Had Been Recently Weighed As 356 With Normal BSL & BPR AAAND
    A Healthy Heart! (Yay Me! Lol)

But, Since I've Notice Them, I've Studied Them.. I've Figure That Fact That
    I Can Feel Needles On Both, But I Can't Feel Heat (At First.. Lol) & I Can Barely
    Feel Pressure. When These Two Numb Areas On The Top-Outside Of My Toe Are
    Struck, I Feel Queezy Or As If I Want To Puke.. And Recently Gotten Back To Work
    @ McKesson Industries Working 16hr Shifts My Feet Get Sweaty So When I Sit
    And Take Off My Shoes And Find That Only The Spaces Where My Toes Are Numb
    Turn Pure White & Swollen With Water While The Rest Of My Foot Looks Perfectly
    Healthy.. Which, Leads Me To Believe That These Areas Are Dead Or Far Damaged
    Repair.

I Can Deal With The Fact That I Lost The Feeling In My Toes Due To Poorly Built
    Work Shoes That Inhibited My Feets Ability To Circulate Blood In All Areas Of My
    Foot. I Just Want To Know If There Is Any Way I Can Reverse This. I Really Feel
    As If I Lost My Toes. I've Tried Taking Fish Oil & Omega 3 To Increase Blood Flow
    And Improve Circulation Through Out My Body But, It Didn't Work. So If There's
    AnyThing That Anyone Knows That Can Help
    Send Me Sugggestions: AdrianGeter@Gmail.com

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i had a cesarean 7 months ago...n i had it in backbone injection anesthesia,,i think after that i m having this numbness in m toes continuously......i hatalso have bad back pain with t

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

19 year old Male here, just started working a week ago which requires me to stand for 8-10 hours a day. Noticed I got slight numbing in the big toes and now after a week it hasent come back.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: numbness in big toes.......hmmmm.

I'm a 29 yr old male who has just endured the first week of this numbness. There is a slight discoloration to the areas on the outside of my big toes as if I were suffering from frost bite. The numbness goes away from time to time, especially when my chakras open and my hands become hot.

I don't see any correlation between our attempted diagnosis and physiological differences; however, I do notice it is a sudden loss of feeling followed by numbness in the same area of the foot. What's strange is the localized area, the big toe, and not so much the entire toe. This gives us certainty as to the reciprocal nerves that are suggested to be responsible for the numbness, so we could start there.

Do any of you use alcohol more than average? Do any of you take sleep aids? Do any of you take uppers? And, are any of these used on a daily basis over a long period of time? I think if we could identify where we correlate along these avenues we too, will gain introspection.

Another thought, has anyone tried new things in their diet, or switched their diet altogether? Also, has anyone changed their beliefs altogether?

And my last clue to inquire about is what are your astrological signs? Please take these inquiries as a serious attempt to deduce what we are suffering from.

Make note, I discovered two illnesses that result in similar symptoms. Upon following up I found neither of them threatening and the very worst precaution was to avoid injury to the big toe, and if you should experience such pay close attention to how the body heals. If it seems to take a long time have the infection checked out right away.

The goal is to traverse the plains of interpretive medical diagnosis, of which very little, historically, relies on western medicine. There is no better interpretation to the one we feel individually and as a group we can articulate among first hand experience versus medical reference, which is a great advantage to insight altogether. If you all can donate any anecdotes of reoccurring themes in your life that might be helpful, or insights, like a hunch please do. For instance, while I was in deep meditation I had insight as to what kind of symbolic meaning might be at the root of this occurrence, that is that I abuse my feet, take them for granted if you will. I've labored on them my whole life and if I continue to they will begin to fail me. As if they are trying to talk to me and say this is not a healthy lifestyle and it cannot be sustained, this is true. Just a thought.

Anyhow, rest easy knowing that this is not a boat with one traveler, instead a ship with a crew. We can figure it out. Namaste.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The exact same thing happened to me that has seemed to happen to a lot of others...we all started getting the numbness in the toes after wearing new shoes for a while. It seems that the shoes we all have purchased are just not wide enough. I am going to get the next size larger/wider in shoes so the toes don't rub against any sides of the shoes! anyone else agree?

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 17 year old female Track athlete, so I consistently run far distances. However, the numbing in my toes started the morning after I went to a Homecoming Dance this Saturday. (Oct 20, 2012) I was wearing 4" heels which are higher than I have worn before, but no amount of massaging is helping the numbness go away.

From what I've read, it seems like a lot of people who have had vertical pressure are the ones experiencing this. (Pregnancy, long hours for a job that includes standing, etc). That might explain why one night of dancing in heels and not years of running brought this on...

The first three toes on each of my feet are numb, and I'm hoping that there is someway to fix this, as optimal senses in my feet are necessary for Track, and I'd rather not have this feeling for several years to come. Good luck everyone!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi All ,
    I am a 26 year old female, and I have been having a numbing sensation in my right big toe on the outside. First noticed it about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I'm thinking it might be a pinch nerve. But now that I think about it started a job 2 months ago and I am on my feet all day. I have never had this problem before so I think it's probably bad shoes and constantly being on my feet. When I get a chance I'm going to go see my chiropractor and see what he says cuz I've also been having back problems which is why I think it might be a pinched nerve also.

12. sadness

sadness Guest

22 yr old Male, I am having this odd sensation feeling from last 2 days.First it was there in little finger of my right leg. I thought its a small problem and will get better. but from last 2 days it spread from that little finger to whole feet, I cant understand whats the problem.. Its too annoying.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The tip of my left big toe just went numb for the second time last night. The first time this happened was probably about 15 years ago after a pedicure. I figured it had to do with the pedi so I haven't had another pedi since. It lasted for months and then went away as mysteriously as it appeared. But this time, I have no idea why it went numb. I haven't been on my feet more than usual and I am not wearing new shoes. Also, my youngest child is 18 so I don't think my saddleblock is involved. I have always figured it had something to do with the nerves in my toe being so close to the surface. Who knows? But I am definitely not concerned after seeing this thread... especially since it is obviously a fairly common problem with no serious impact.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 32 year old female. I have never been pregnant but have had the same issue as everyone here that has posted. numbness on the outside of my left big toe. Occasionally on my right big toe as well. It will last for weeks then go away for weeks, then return again for the last 3 years or so. I have ingrown toenails that I've never had removed, only soaked them in epsom salt when they really hurt which has done wonders. I really don't have much pain from them any more. I thought maybe something internally from the ingrowns was causing the numbness but after reading a bunch of these posts I am fairly certain it is caused by either a pinched nerve of some sort in my back. I have never had back pain but my legs ache when sitting for long periods of time, like on an airplane. the pain in my legs is just a dull ache feeling that starts at my lower back just at my hips and runs down the top half of my legs. I've always attributed it to a pinched nerve. I also have a spot about the size of a quarter, right at the edge of my left shoulder blade that tingles when sitting a certain way or when my purse has been hanging on my shoulders for a long period of time, like while shopping. These two things tell me i have some pinched nerve issues in my back. Hearing the situations from most every person, either shoes, work, epidurals or other such things, each of them can cause minor or major back trouble. Things like starting a new job or switching shoes can intensify an existing (and previously unnoticed) problem in the back. I've personally never seen a doctor. After reading these posts, I will probably see a Chiropractor or naturopath of some sort before seeing a doctor about this particular issue.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I can't believe how many people have basically unexplained numbness in their toes! I thought I was just wasting my time even googlin-ing it. Wow. I am 45 female, 8 children, no epidurals and have been noticing numbness and a little tingling in the outside of my left foot big toe for about 6 months. I spend a lot of time on my feet (8 children...) and usually wear Crocs and other comfortable shoes, but I am developing a bunion on that same foot. I assume that my numbness is related to the bunion and a nerve is being pinched. No pain there, but my bunion is getting more and more painful as time goes on. Sigh. Hope I won't end up needing surgery for it.

16. unregistered

unregistered Guest

Male, 46. Same thing here, on both feet. Started after I lost my job and began spending a lot of time without shoes on. I tend to put pressure on the outer edges of my big toes when I walk. Also coincided with ingrown toenail problem. Two years later, they're still numb.

17. GRACE

GRACE Guest

I am a 20 year old female and I work as a CNA and I am on my feet for 12 and 16 hour shifts. I just purchased a new pair of nursing shoes by Dansko and I was hoping that they would help my feet, after about 8 hours of working in them my big toes when numb then my toes turned a little blue. I removed the shoes and switched back to my other shoes and although my color in my toes has returned to normal, my toes are still numb. The shoes were not in the least bit tight fitting, now I am wondering if I just caused permanent damage to my toes??? Anything I should look out for or suggestions on things that might help?

18. toucantalk

toucantalk New Member

I have just found this forum. I am puzzled by a numbness at the end my right big toe which started a year ago, which now throbs occasionally. It looks fine, no redness or bumps. Now there is a little 'numbness' in the ball of each foot. I am on medication for hypertension and I have a feeling there may be a connection as it has got worse since the dosage was increased. Anyone else come across foot numbness caused by medication?

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Its from standing on your feet too long the big to grows extra skin To protect its self and the nerve is unable to feel as much as you are used to. this is all from standing on your feet to long......... Your welcome

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My right toe has been doing the same thing, which is why I'm here, but not why I am writing. You mentioned you get migraines. I do also and it has always been a constant research on how to relieve them on my part. I don't like to take prescriptions, hate the way they make me feel and most of the time don't work anyway. I stumbled across a
    product called Mycratine on Amazon. Great reviews so I tried it, what the heck. I wish I had found this a long time ago. It works, it's amazing! Check it out, it has become a life changer for me. Migraines are so debilitating, I hope this product will always be available.