1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Tips for Bunion surgery recovery.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I am having surgery next week to correct the bunions on both my feet.
    Was wondering if anybody can provide some tips or advice on recovery?

Thanks.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As the aftercare period for bunion surgery may be critical to its success, frankly you are potentially asking for real trouble by even thinking about relying on what some patient who has had, at best, two experiences with bunion surgeries steers you toward as far as post surgical procedures are involved. Those one or two time experiences afford them no general expertise, and what seems to have worked well for them, might have not worked for the reasons that patient thinks and, in fact, might be contraindicated for another patient. Not only do bunionectomy procedures vary, along with their appropriate aftercare, but doctors have differing protocols, which, if you wish him/her to really take responsibility for your care and well being, should be followed. If you have chosen your surgeon wisely, rely on him/her and his/her experience to bring you through the procedure with the best result and least difficulty. I just hate it when a patient does something after surgery that someone other than I told him/her to do and then expects me to bail them out when the advice was not appropriate. Be sure that your doctor gives you a full description of what to expect after surgery and how you are to deal with it and consult him/her FIRST if something unanticipated arises.

Best of fortune on your upcoming surgery,

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi there, I too had bunion sugery on both feet in March. The pain was no where as bad as what everyone had made it out to be but don't forget everyone is different and it does depend on what procedure you have. I'm driving now with caution cos i'm still a little tenden on the balls of my feet. The scars are healing great but still a bit sore. I can only wear my flat boots, a berkinstok type flip flop with a solid sole and trainers at the moment. Been back to see the doc and he said I have to wear flats for at least the next 6 weeks. I should be able to wear a small wedge after this but nothing that sqeezes the toes together. Don't think I will be wearing heals any time soon though. It's a bit of a pain but I had the op to releave the pain I was going through. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be wearing heals occasionally but no pointed shoes. The doc did say that they can come back if you do not take care and thats one thing I do not want to go through again. Keep your feet elevated as the swelling does go down quicker. If like me you have 4 kids this is a bit difficult. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In my opinion and experience, bunions which recur after surgery, recur generally because either the procedure did not address the totality of the deformity or the procedure was not technically successful from the get-go. Although I cannot state this categorically, I believe that it would be very difficult to create a hallux valgus deformity in a completely normal foot simply through use or even abuse of the foot. All that being said, as many bunions develop in part because of excessive sub-talar pronation and addressing that is not part of the typical bunionectomy, in patient with obvious excessive pronation I often advise the use of orthotics as a hopefully preemptive and prophylactic measure.

In my experience, your comment that the procedure was not near as bad as one commonly hears is right on target. Of course, those who post here are far more likely to have had less pleasant experiences and those who have had problems with anything talk about them louder and longer than those who have had uneventful experiences.

Thank you for posting a positive result.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. I had surgery done on 1 foot mid April 2010 and I just had my cast removed yesterday. I am thrilled with the result. The pain was NO WHERE near as bad as I was expecting. I walked on my foot the evening after the OP, I was on crutches for 2 days and by day 3 I was heel walking (without support).

The worst part for me was the painkillers (they made me sick), so I stopped them pretty quickly. I returned to work - doing computer work & holding phone conferences (from home) 4 days after my surgery. I was able to drive an auto because it was my left foot, so I could collect my children from school etc. By week 5 post OP I was able to present a whole day workshop (stood up for the whole day).

Walking too far was (and still is to some extent) difficult because I am so slow, but that's probably been the most challenging part of the whole experience. Unfortunately my OP didn't get me out of cooking, cleaning or washing - I was still able to do all those normal tasks after the first week (I probably should have dragged this out longer, but my husband & kids were not great at these jobs!)

This is just my experience, but I HTH. I have a smaller bunion on my other foot & if it becomes a problem I would, without doubt, get it fixed.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've had 2 bunion surgeries and here is what I found to help...

1. Stay on top of your pain meds the first few days! Don't let it get bad than have to compensate to make up for the pain...also, sometimes plain old Motrin helps better than the prescription stuff. And usually you can alternate it with the prescription stuff...just check with your Dr. first.

2. ICE!!!! Ice is your friend!

3. Elevation. Keeping your foot above your heart helps a lot.

4. Follow your Dr.'s orders to a T and if you are confused about anything call them ASAP. There is a reason they give you the instructions they do ;)

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Enlist older kids, spouse, parents, friends...let them help with the housework and yardwork and such.

Prepare as much as possible before the surgery...I like to make some meals and freeze them since no one else in the house can cook lol. I made sure I got my hair done and eyebrows waxed since I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get to doing that again. I got the house, laundry and yard in good order as well, including paying all the bills so I'd be able to relax knowing everything was in order. I went to the library and took out some books and purchased some magazines to occupy my time in recovery.

My bed is king sized and difficult to get in and out of, so I used the pull out couch. This also insured no accidental kicks from the husband in bed at night. The morning of my surgeries, I woke early and put the sheets and mattress pad on the pull out so I could go strait to laying down when I came home from the hospital.

After the surgery, I couldn't get my bandages wet for several weeks. I found bathing in the tub with my foot/feet over the edge was great and washed my hair in the kitchen sink with the help of my husband or daughter. If you do decide to wrap up in plastic and brave the shower, a plastic lawn chair in the shower will give you a place to sit so you aren't on your feet for too long.

Sorry this is so long..but I'm a little OCD about being prepared LOL :) Good luck with your surgery! I hope it all goes well :)

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my apologies! I didn't realize this was an old post that had been bumped!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Acute Bunion It is caused by a sudden growth of a fluid in the big toe called Busra. Busra decreases the friction between the skin and bone; thus resulting in continuous irritation and pain. This is acute bunion,The bunion surgery recovery process varies from case to case. The surgery involves a small incision been done in the foot. The doctor removes the bunion out. Then the realignment of the bone is done. After the realignment, the operated part is stitched and covered with bandages. If it's a mild bunion it would be removed and the toe would be stitched. The recovery process of the surgery normally takes six weeks.Take the medicines the doctor has prescribed you. Pain killers can be taken if there is severe pain but consult a doctor beforehand. Try to keep an icepack on the foot for the first 48 hours after the surgery; this will minimize the swelling. Avoid showering till the stitches dry up. Make sure the stitches don't get wet as this may cause infection. Whenever you are showering or bathing try to keep the operated foot covered. Too much walking is not advised; let the stitches heal. Then you can gradually increase your walking time. Get your bandages changed every week. Most patients are advised to wear a surgical shoe. Ask the doctor if you can go to a physical therapist to gain maximum benefit. Start wearing shoes after the stitches have healed. Tight and high heeled shoes are a strict no no; they can be worn after six months. Consult a doctor beforehand.

9. Awesome

Awesome New Member

I don't know...from what I've been reading re different post-op bunion surgery experiences I've come to the following conclusions:
    1. I am blessed w/a fantastic podiatric surgeon
    2. I must have an unusually high-level pain threshold
    3. Even though I am a 56yr. old woman-mother of 5, g.mother of 6, my body heals extremely rapidly from any type of surgery/injury (I've had many of both)
    4. After years of enduring progressively ugly & painful bunions, bunionettes & hammertoes, it is an absolute JOY to not have these afflictions. 48hrs. of post-op pain (I didn't even need pain meds other than ibuprofen after the 1st 48) was a very small price to pay for such great rewards! I had both feet & each toe completely operated on in 3 sep. surguries. I was able to walk in post-op shoes w/out crutches (used a cane for 2 or 3 days); by the time the sutures were removed (again, I can't believe how many people said how painful THAT was-to me just slight pinching) I was fully & actively mobile. The only thing I had to do was make an effort to stay OFF mt feet so the swelling could subside.
    5. I think overall body condition plays a big role in the recovery experience.
    6. Although I will do all the necessary aftercare to make sure the conditions won't reoccur, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i had mine done 5 days ago i didnt listern to what the docs told me to do and as a result i am in bed and cant move my foot or walk on it i know now why docs tell ya what to do its for your own sake not theirs xx

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It for your AND their sakes. Your problems become theirs.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had bunion surgery in June. I followed what little care advise I was given. Kept it elevated fir 6 wks. Was released for activity in September, and suffer a TIA. My after care should have included compression hoe or blood thinner. So please be advised, your interview should include an extensive aftercare instructions.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had surgery about 3 weeks ago, on both of my feet. As a lot of people have said, the pain wasn't nearly as worse as everyone had said, and I have a small pain tolerance. I've been walking for a week with no support. Although it helps that I'm 18, and the younger you are the faster you heal, I was given 3-4 more weeks until I can start doing the regular things I did. Last Thursday, my doctor told me I could get out of my post op shoes and start wearing crocks (the rubber shoes). He also told me the swelling wouldn't go away for another 2 months, but my feet have gone down in swelling in an astonishing amount just from the past week. I am over-satisfied with my results! Hope it works the same for you!

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OK so what I have been doing is staying on top of my pain medication by taking it at the scheduled even if my feet haven't started hurting yet, trust me its easier to do this instead of waiting for there to be pain, and with all the people saying it didn't hurt as much as they were told it was going to, I now we all heal differently but for me he pain was the worst sensation i couldv'e imagined, the pain pills worked but when i didn't take my meds ahead of time the pain was pretty unbearable!!! OH and don't forget to elevate your feet(very important for swelling matters)

15. tatiana

tatiana Guest

16. debscrubs

debscrubs Guest

I just had bilateral bunion surgery 8 weeks ago. Advise on recovery is to have help at home. Keep off your feet except to use the restroom for the first three to four weeks. Elevate and ice will be your best friend. Vicoden for pain and dont skip the recommended dose, keep on top of the pain. Ice on every 15 min, ice off every 15 min for the first 24 hours after surgery. Second day ice every hour for 15 minutes. After surgery expect lots of swelling and bluish toes. Always wear post op shoe when standing / walking. The best advise is to stay off your feet, elevate feet higher than your heart, ice and more ice with prescribed pain meds. This is quite a surgery to recover from, one that requires a lot of patients. I slept in a recliner because I knew I wouldn't be able to elevate my feet as well as I could in bed. I am glad I did both feet at the same time. Results are worth the surgery. Best of luck to you. It will be well worth it once you recover.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had a SCARF osteotomy of the left foot 2 days ago and let me tell you it is the most painfull experience of my life so far (and ive broken my right leg tip and fib before). Its not a constant pain and is more like there is a red hot pole in my foot that throbs and with each throb expands and becomes hot. It feels like something is EATING my foot from the inside out its not pleasant. I have kept it elavated, done toe exercises which the doctors showed me and kept ontop of the meds. Unfortunately none of this seems to be helping so its going to be another trip to the doctors to see about the possibility of different meds as co-codamol doesnt seem to be having any effect.

My advice:
    Dont be alone. If you have people in your house/flat with you make sure that they are just that, with you.
    Keep taking your meds as instructed, dont wait for it to hurt before you take them. You will regret it when the pain hits you.
    Elevation. Elevation. Elevation.
    Try to move around every now and then even if it hurts. The circulation is important.
    Take it easy

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,
    I had bunion surgery about 1 week ago, one foot. It was a lapidus procedure so the 1st metatarsal bone was fractured surgically and aligned. So far, I am doing very well. Minimal pain, only used it for 2 days and then motrin. I am icing it very frequently with elevation. The hardest part for me is keeping down. I am very active and miss my gym and work activities. It will come soon enough, but that part is harder for me than any other part of the surgery. Hope you are doing well, by now and like your new feet ( or foot).

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had a bunion removed on May 9th (I'm 72 and a walker which is why I decided to get it done since it was beginning to interfear with my morning walk routine) and it has been the worse experience I have ever had. Have help at home so no problem with following doctors advice to elevate, use ice and stay off the foot for the first week. Pain meds pretty much are useless, have had as much success with Tylenol. I have no stiches to be removed (came out on their own) and the wound look like it's healing well, but have sharp shooting pains at random and can bearly walk (the boot helps with the walking, but can't leave it on too long). Pretty much staying off it and laying in bed....don't see the doctor until June 4th, sure hope it's feeling better by then. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but will never go through this again!

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It appears as if really does depend largely on one's general health how soon one recovers. I had pain when exercising and the podiatrist told me that I had a bunion. I did not even know what that was. I did extensive research on bunions. I could not find running shoes or hiking boots to fit so I asked the podiatrist to remove the bunion. I had two bones cut and two pins and screws. I had absolutely no pain and did not take any medication. I was working from home on the third day. I am in my late sixties and the podiatrist assumed it would be worse than it was. Initially he told me it would be six weeks before I could drive as it was on my right foot. After three weeks he told me that I could drive!! During the first three weeks I had someone drive me to the supermarket and I enjoyed driving round on the scooter.

I was told that I could start to wear sneakers and start off by walking one hour and increasing it by one hour each day. I was surprised that this hurt for the first time so I took Ibuprofen. I find that my foot swells up if I walk too much but this is starting to improve. I try to walk normally as I found that the arch of my foot was weak. It is nearly 5 weeks after the operation and the pain from walking and swelling is starting to subside. I'm doing exercises to improve the range of motion of my toe as well as using cream to massage and reduce the scar. I'm trying resist the temptation actually stand on my toes to increase the range of motion but I will try that in a weeks time.