1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sudden onset of severe sharp pain in top of foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Thank you for providing this forum for asking questions. Two days ago I went running in the morning -- about 3 miles -- and other than a little huffing and puffing, I had no experience of pain anywhere. I don't usually run distance for fitness, but I do play soccer up to 3 times per week. Anyway, at about six o'clock that evening, I had been standing at my son's gymnastics practice, and just as I began to take a step, there was a sudden, severe sharp pain in the outside part of the top of my right foot. It almost felt as if something was out of place and needed to crack, badly. Since then, there has been just a general ache during rest, but I cannot put all my weight on the foot while walking. The sharp pain has been coming and going (I think, as I step from heel to toe, but I can't pinpoint one specific motion that is causing it), and every so often, it is so severe that I gasp in pain.

There doesn't seem to be marked swelling (maybe a little puffiness, but I usually have that, anyway, as I've played soccer for 30 years!). I would hate to think that I am that much of a wimp that a little jog could injure me like that! A couple of thoughts have crossed my mind: Arthritis (I often have pain and swelling in my knees, and shoulder and si joint pain that comes and goes, but I have no formal diagnosis of arthritis)?
    A stress fracture?
    Does tendinitis ever appear out of the clear blue sky without a gradual onset of symptoms?
    I'm at a loss, and I would really prefer not to have to go running to the doctor, especially as I can't really identify what could have caused this, and since the severe, sharp pain comes and goes intermittently, I'm sure it would not present in the doctor's office (my usual luck). Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The cause of intermittent pain is often very difficult to determine unless there are some other abnormal and/or tell-tale findings which can generally be revealed only by direct physical examination. There are endless scenarios with attendant speculations, one of which might actually be the case. But it is beyond reasonable expectations that that one correct diagnosis and subsequently based treatment recommendations can be determine in a forum venue with the information at hand.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I know you posted this a long while ago, but i was typing my symptoms into google an this thread came up, i have the exact same pain as you've described, what did yours turn out to be?

4. MRacko

MRacko Guest

I also was typing my foot problem and this thread popped up. Just over the last week when walking (in a sandal with no back) every once in a while I will get this sharp pain which goes across the top of my foot (over the ball of my foot area). It almost feels like it is fractured. Makes me stop walking and I wait for it to subside and then I can walk again. Does not happen every time I walk and I have no problem when I put on my tennis shoes and walk all over the place. Am wondering if it has to do with arch support or if I do have a slight fracture somehow that when I walk a certain way it flares up.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. thuchad

thuchad New Member

I just want to comment and say that I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Right now I'm having a sharp pain that last about one second and comes about every 30 seconds. This happens a few times throughout the day.

My pain was caused from a foot injury over six weeks ago(Sept. 28) while trail running. The ball of my foot planted on a small rock as my heel went downward. Apparently the pressure on my foot was too great and something popped. I was 2.5 miles into a 5 mile run in a forest so I had to hobble back to my car. I could still walk but with lots of pain.

I finally went to the doc after a month of not getting much better. He took X-rays and told me that I may have a fracture but he couldn't tell for sure. I'm guessing in the medial or intermediate cuneiform? When he was manipulating my foot it popped in the exact area of the injury. He gave me a cortisone shot and I'm going back in two weeks to see if it's any better. As of today, I still have pain when I try to run along with the stabbing pain when I'm not doing anything. Sometimes when I stand up and put weight on it, I have a lot of pain and it feels like I need to pop it. Sometimes it does pop and the pain goes away and other times I can't and the pain remains.

Going back to the original post about the sharp pain, I believe my doc told me the sharp pain is from a nerve being disrupted. If something is out of place or trying to heal it can put pressure on the nerve. I'm hoping the cortisone shot helps with this. I will update with the outcome in the future.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I need help. About 4-5 months ago I was wearing wedge high heels. I normally do not wear high heels but soon after I was wearing them I felt a snap and shooting pain in the middle top of my left foot. It would happen every few steps. At the end of the day I took them off and a few days later tried again, thinking it was just because I was not use to high heels, the same continued to happen. I never wore them again, however I have had pain in my foot ever since. I thought maybe I had just fractured it but it is getting worse and has been months. It hurts most when I step down after being off of it a while or as I push off when walking. Can someone tell me what this is..... torn tendon....tendinitis....ETC and what I should do.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem! 2x in one day, today. Before, nothing, ever. no injuries or incidents. It is blinding pain. I am scared to move, b/c the pain is that bad. what to do?

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I myself am having the same pains been since about 10 tonight off n on n my time is 5am ,, very painful

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the exact same thing but it's the top part of my left foot. Especially when lift my toes. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with me standing at work the whole day or uncomfortable dress shoes. I really hope someone knows and posts what it is...email me if you have an answer pjbump2@gmail.com thank you!

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also felt a sharp snap in my left foot while just standing in a store. It's kind of above the arch area. Pain was severe, and had to hobble to a seat. Went away after awhile, but left me with pain under the arch area from heel to ball when standing or walking. It seems almost like an arch joint cracked, and has now happened less severely in my right foot! What in the world is going on???