1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Foot Pain - Right side of foot near little toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have been running for a little over 4 months now. I am training for a half marathon. Anyway on December 5th I did my first 6 mile run. That day and night everything was fine, but starting Monday of that week my right foot hurt on the right side right near where my little toe joins the main part of the foot. The pain wasn't tender to the touch and didn't hurt bad enough where I couldn't walk on it, but it was more just an annoyance pain. So I went to the podiatrist on December 9th. He took 3 x-rays. All were negative. Told me I had basically overused my foot and told me to rest. I didn't run for 2 weeks. Right after I saw the doctor I decided to change shoes too. I went from an old pair of 991 New Balances to a pair of Asics Gel Cumulous 11. I ran in the new shoes for the first time 2 weeks after my doctors visit. I am now in January and still on my long runs I have this pain in the same area of my foot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be???

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If you would review the posts on this site, you will discover that there is a disproportionate number of complaints from folks who insist on abusing their feet by running more than would seem to be normal and appropriate. Persistent and habitual running may be good for cardiac health, but it is NOT good for feet, ankles, knees and hips. I would opine that if you would find other physical activities other than running, you might not have foot problems. Most habitual runners MUST run on a regular basis to supply them with the endorphin fix to which they are addicted, and as with most any addict, that is the last thing you want to hear, so spare me your indignation.

3. VKM

VKM Guest

Okay, I don't run. Not one bone in my body has the desire to run. I do work out at the gym. I have the shooting sharp pain in the side of my right foot just above and to the side of my little toe. Sometimes I am involved in work and all of a sudden the pain just shoots through and lasts for about a minute. I guess I could mention on the bone just above my and to the side of my little toe, I can push down gently and feel "things" moving and popping around in there. The pain seemed to start after I bought some nice running shoes from "The Running Store" and they were $100. Go figure.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oooooh! Frilly knickers!
    Someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning.
    Indignation?? Please!!!

5. marathongirl

marathongirl New Member

Wow! That is pretty judgmental. All distance runners are addicts? Really? Running has many health benefits besides cardiovascular. It has been clinically proved to reduce depression. Do you know the weight of this person you are calling an addict? Maybe they are running to control their weight. Maybe they are running to control diabetes. Could it be this person is not running too much but maybe increased their mileage too fast and that is the reason for foot pain? There are many factors to consider. as a psychologist and longtime distance runner and former collage XC and track athlete you are clearly out of your area of expertise. I would stick to feet and not get into addiction or mental health issues.

6. MPhelps

MPhelps Guest

Running is the most detrimental form of exercise, even outweighing any benefits of said exercise. Swimming, proven throughout history, is THE single best exercise anyone can partake in.

7. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

For better blood circulation running and swimming is good. but to reduce foot pain you should also practice foot massage and stretch exercise and strengthening your calf muscles.