1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Overlapping fifth (pinky)toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by toddhaney, Aug 20, 2010.

1. toddhaney

toddhaney Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone else here have an overlapping fifth toe? My right pinky toe lays on top of my fourth toe. Not a problem normally but i recently ordered 2 pairs of keens to see which one would work better with "the toe". Don't wan't the little guy sticking out of my sandals! Otherwise I havn't had a problem, other than my friends making fun of it! Anyone else have an overlapping pinky?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Overlapping 5th toes are a very common deformity which can generally be corrected by creative plastic surgical procedures.

3. pisoares

pisoares New Member

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes I've had the same thing, both pinky toes, my left one is more pronounced than the right. I don't wear open toe sandals as I get tired of the questions and staring and being asked if the toe is "broken". My great grandmother had the same thing. Of all the things to inherit!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

A friend of mine has it on both feet and she is very shy about it. may i have your email address?

6. NGC1984

NGC1984 Guest

Hi I'm a 27 year old male and both pinky toes are overlapping. I've always had an issue with them and try to hide my feet from everybody. Reading through some threads and articles have helped a little but still would love to know if there is a successful surgical cure.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Both my 5th toes do not overlap but curl under the 4th toe. For some reason this is not a problem on my left foot but is a big problem on my right foot. It causes a lot of pain and has rubbed a very painful corn on the side of the toe next to the nail, where it touches the ground when I walk.

I am waiting to see an orthopaedic consultant. Foot Doc, I see your comment about treatment for overlapping toes; is it as simple to treat a toe that curls under and how successful is it?

Thank you.

8. Stacey

Stacey Guest

My little daughter has this. Its not a big deal at all. I don't know why any of you would feel you need to hide it. Jennifer Garner (HUGE movie star -married to Ben Affleck) has this. I think its cute on my daughter. I guess, my suggestion, is just accept who you are. People may ask questions...but its just out of ignorance or interest...either way, educate them. All people are different and look different. You happen to have interesting feet :)

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Stacey, what a great outlook! I wear flip flops a lot in the summer and while I do get some stares and questions about my overlapping pinky on my right foot, I have, in fact found that most people are just curious and or fascinated by it. It drives me nuts that people are so worried about their babies being perfect that they would want to "correct" it immediately. I often tell people who ask about it that it's no different than a having a crooked nose, funky earlobe, whatever. It's just a little bit of character that helps make each of us different. (My wife even thinks my weird toe is cute!) Keep up the good job of bringing up your daughter to accept and embrace that toe that makes her special!
    Braden

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was also born with an overlapping pinky toe on my left foot only. I had surgery about six years ago and it was not successful. I don't hide my toe at all anymore! I started a page on facebook called overlapping pinky toes. Check it out and add some pics! There are alot more of us than you can imagine!

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

You say you had surgery and it was unsuccessful? I met someone once who said the same thing. I'm curious, did your to simply pop back up when the took the bandages off or did it gradually lift back up? Just curious more than anything.
    Braden

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I "female" was born with this toe condition on both feet 60 years ago and no one to this day has ever asked me about them or commented, or stared that I have noticed.
    In my teens I wore "Flip Flops every summer. Even went barefoot climbing on the rocks at the dam where I grew up. (we called flip flops "thongs" back then) LOL!

I have always had a issue with some sandals because the pinky toe would get stuck on the outside of a strap. In shoes it caused uncomfortable pressure.
    My nephew inherited this same toe.
    The ligament / tendon in those pinky toes are unusually short and pulls the toe up and to the inside. Cutting the ligament is the way they the surgeon would cause the pinky to drop in place.
    I would never do this. I was born this way. If I did, I would look down and not feel quite like myself.
    I wonder what gene causes this.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  13. Humpytoe

Humpytoe Guest

I read somewhere it was due to a shorter bone in the foot. I call it my humpy toe! My mom has it too and I just laugh about it. I don't think it's that awkward.

14. Claire

Claire Guest

I have an overlapping little toe on both feet along with crooked little fingers. My youngest sister has similar but not as pronounced. My mum and my nana had the same fingers also. My daughter was born with the same little toes. It's apparently a hereditary deformity. Friends joke about it but I quite like it. I think it's quirky. I've also read that it's a sign of royal blood so I'll take that :)

15. Cute toes

Cute toes Guest

I am 47 and was born with both pinky toes overlapping. I went to the beach barefoot all summer long and never had any problems. People will occasionally ask me and I just tell them that I was born this way. Doctors seem to be the only ones that think it's a problem. Lol. I had one doctor convince my mother to tape my toes as a child. Both toes promptly broke. I now ignore any doctors attempt to "fix" them. They don't hurt and I am fine with them the way they are. I wear any shoe types...Except sandals with skinny cross straps. My pinky toes pop through and look hilarious and eventually will hurt.

I never felt self conscious. They are just toes :)

16. Crookedtoe94

Crookedtoe94 Guest

I have the same thing on both feet. More so my right than my left because I had broke the left pinky toe when I was four and somehow it made it a little straighter. I inherited from my mom who has it much worse than mine. I like my crooked toe tho, makes me feel unique.

17. Amanda

Amanda Guest

I have it on both feet. My mother and grandmother have it as well. Only problem I had was wearing sandals. It never bothered me growing up I just got used to the questions from people as I grew up.

18. Armella

Armella Guest