1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big Toe Pain when bending it up (walking, running) but no pain bending it down.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by BigToeJoe, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BigToeJoe

BigToeJoe Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Before I head to a doctor, would anyone like to take a guess at what this is?

Last month after a tennis match my left big toe began to have a sharp pain when walking / running and it hasn't stopped. When I bend it upwards, I experience pain at the base joint of the toe. If I bend it downwards, there's no pain, even when I pull on it.

There's no inflammation, just pain. Sometimes it starts to feel better, but then I go running or play tennis and the pain starts all over again.

I've googled for hours and I can't figure this one out. Could it be broken? Is it arthritis? As I understand it, Stiff Big Toe (hallux rigidus) hurts when bending up or down. This is just up. And gout just doesn't match my symptoms well. I'm 32 years old, never broken a bone, and I'm pretty active and fit. What is this?!

2. Podwoman

Podwoman New Member

BigToeJoe,
    Sorry, I'm not in the business of guessing about foot problems.
    However, from what you say - that the problem started after a tennis match - it is safe to assume that the problem was caused by either a single major trauma or a repeated minor trauma to the area.
    As you also say that the pain comes back after running or playing tennis then wouldn't it be sensible to stop these activities until you have a firm diagnosis?
    I would start by resting the foot and then obtaining medical advice as soon as possible.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have exactly the same problem! i was doing tennis and afterwards it started to hurt and then i stubbed in while i was dancing and now the pain is agonising! i left it for a few days hoping it would go away but its been 5 days and its still not gone :/

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a sharp pain in my big toe, can't bend it up but can bend it down and the bone around the outside is sore. No swelling. Anyone help?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just started getting the same thing from running, and was looking online for it and stumbled across this message. Did you ever find out what it was and how long did it take to go away?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've got a similar thing after cycling whilst drunk... *waits for round of applause...*

No pain most of the time but when I bend my toe up it hurts like hell! This includes trying to walk, run and pretty much any activity which uses my feet.

Did anybody find out what this is? I expect its just some kind of soft tissue damage which will go away on its own over time - a sprain or perhaps a torn ligament.

It's been 2 months since I initially injured it. The pain which occurs has reduced but is still unbearable and prevents me from doing alot of things. I intend to go to hospital sometime soon if it hasn't gone away completely. I've been putting it off because I hate sitting around in hospitals and figured it would go away on its own much quicker than it has done :(

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem. But with me it started several years ago. When I had been on my feet a lot. I can't walk with out limping. Then it goes away for awhile and then comes back. In the last year I started a job that required being on my feet all the time. It has come and gone frequently. Even when I have not been on my feet. Very painful !

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Walk carefully to the doctor. I had a ligament pull on the top of my foot about 9 months ago, didn't go to the doctor, just figured I'd take it easy and it would be all right. Well, since i was walking funny and trying to be careful how I walked, I developed metatarsagia and some other ligament problems. Now I'm 9 months in and working with a PT and a doctor, trying to get this straightened out.

One thing I've learned is that if it doesn't go away in a couple of days, get your butt to the doctors....

Hope you feel better...

9. dncr1991

dncr1991 New Member

Sounds like a sesamoid issue to me

10. Mollie

Mollie Guest

It sounds like it could be turf toe. Try conservative care (chiropractic) and if you don't get relief, get an MRI. Xrays won't show injury to soft tissue structures.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

it might be intoeing

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did anyone ever figure anything out in relation to this? My toe pain comes and goes every few weeks, but drives me insane and keeps me from doing my normal lifestyle activities!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same problem. It could be gout

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same problem, I went to a Medical Drop in Centre & they diagnosed that I had Gout (a form of arthritis), they gave me medication & it sorted my problem with in a week. I've been told that Asda Cherry Juice is very good to stop Gout & also vitamin C.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I randomly feel the same thing as you do. I bend it down and nothing hurts or bothers me. But when I move up my right toe up or walk I get this uncomfortable pain. I'm nervous now, because I wouldn't want it to be serious. I been working out which I been running on a treadmill. I would get pains in my knees but it would go away once I would rest them and I cut down on my running. Last time i went to the gym and ran was maybe 4 or 5 days. Idk if its affecting my toe now, I may not be coordinated right. Well hopefully it goes away if not I may see a doctor, hopefully its nothing bad or think I'm crazy and over reacting.theses doctors in my town never take any body serious unless there's blood or guts coming out. :/

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My toe hurts the same, I'm younger and I just recently went bike riding with my sis and grandma and I hurt like crazy yesterday, it's gone down today but if it still hurts tomorrow I'm probably just going to go to the docs.

17. PoorLilToe

PoorLilToe Guest

I'm having the exact same problem!! When I bend the toe next to my big toe on my right foot downwards, it feels fine. But when I bend it upwards, well, it's a completely different story. I get this terrible pain! Walking is difficult, so I have to limp.
    However, it's started to go away. All of a sudden it didn't hurt so much, even though just a minute ago it was in so much pain. I'm hoping it will recover fully and quickly and won't come back, but I do want to know what caused this!

18. Rhysssy

Rhysssy Guest

I am having the exact same problems and my knee is also starting to hurt. My toe is also hurting it came on went very red and inflamed. Dr thought it could be gout and went on medication to reduce the inflammation. Now after 3 weeks when I try to do some exercise the toe hurts when bending it. Wish I could know what was happening...

19. Hi, I know this is an old post but I’m having the same problem, sharp seering pain where my toe meets foot when I flex upwards only. I walk a lot on the job and noticed an irritation there for a couple months but nothing bad. But when I started running again it got so bad I am limping and can’t run. I believe my case may be arthritis, just getting old, I’m 49 and it’s one thing after another now. I’ve been an athlete all my life so this is difficult for me. I think I can solve this problem by cutting out impact sports
    Hope this is helpful