1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swollen foot with extreme pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kaosxlit, Apr 1, 2009.

1. marybethkonvalin

marybethkonvalin New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.

Did you find if surgery helped or not?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm not sure how current this thread is but I have same prob. and im on day 6 of a third episode w/about a yr between each one. My self diagnosis was gout which i ignored because it ent away and my foot (rt) felt 100% This time im determined to find an answer or cure because i cant take it anymore. what if it gets worse or reoccurs before something imp.

I do have the arch nodule indicative of a plantar fi45?? but it is not painful, maybe its presence spreads out the tissue, muscles, ligs, bones enough to cause this tear inducing agony

Also ive stepped in a hole playing football 25 yrs ago and it was a bonafied painful injury but could still walk and play when i laced my cleats up very tight. Shortly after this the foot was stepped on very hard and ironically it "cured" the problem. Jump to the present and i think it is a residual affect that has taken this long to come back.

For those who've had xrays i gather stress or hairline fractures may not show up. Think of a chicken bone that is cracked or bent but springs back to where you cant se the crack. an mri may show more.

My frustration is i cant really pinpoint the pain, one day one toe, next day the side, another day the top. Massaging is painful but gives a sort of relief. I know heel is always ok (knock wood)

Sorry so long but I feel your pain... literally. Im going to doc mon. but my humble opinion is gout, arthritis, stress frac., or that plantar thing. Really narrows it down but i hope this helps somebody.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm not sure how current this thread is but I have same prob. and im on day 6 of a third episode w/about a yr between each one. My self diagnosis was gout which i ignored because it ent away and my foot (rt) felt 100% This time im determined to find an answer or cure because i cant take it anymore. what if it gets worse or reoccurs before something imp.

I do have the arch nodule indicative of a plantar fi45?? but it is not painful, maybe its presence spreads out the tissue, muscles, ligs, bones enough to cause this tear inducing agony

Also ive stepped in a hole playing football 25 yrs ago and it was a bonafied painful injury but could still walk and play when i laced my cleats up very tight. Shortly after this the foot was stepped on very hard and ironically it "cured" the problem. Jump to the present and i think it is a residual affect that has taken this long to come back.

For those who've had xrays i gather stress or hairline fractures may not show up. Think of a chicken bone that is cracked or bent but springs back to where you cant se the crack. an mri may show more.

My frustration is i cant really pinpoint the pain, one day one toe, next day the side, another day the top. Massaging is painful but gives a sort of relief. I know heel is always ok (knock wood)

Sorry so long but I feel your pain... literally. Im going to doc mon. but my humble opinion is gout, arthritis, stress frac., or that plantar thing. Really narrows it down but i hope this helps somebody.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi
    during winter my toes on both legs gets swollen and pain it starts in the night and slowly diminishes the next morning around 8 or 9 am, its because of cold temperature. have any1 tried putting your feet in a tub of hot water for 15 mins daily twice- morning evening. the pain and swelling reduces. hope this one helps

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

these symptopms sound like what i get, i have it now!!! two days ago i woke up with a swollen foot, cant really see my ankle. and bad pain! and i mean bad. stoping me sleeping, i cant bend my toes, its on right foot, people keep saying oh what did you do to it etc? the thing is i HAVE NOT done anything lol.
    i cant even have duvet on my foot as it hurts :( i have no pain killer either. the agony is so bad i could cry.
    paul

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Have had the same problem over the last 3 years, once or twice annually about 3 days to 2-3 weeks periods.

Doctors don't know what it is and X-ray show nothing, they just give me inflammatory drugs like diklofenak which has helped the most.

Hope someone can figure out a miracle cure.. The pain is severe when pressure or something touches the foot!

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi! my family ( mom and 2 sister) and I suffer the same situation, we all had high fever and german measles, and after that we had extreme foot pain and their going up our ankle,calf and even our hands. its very painful especially for me because im nursing my 18mos boy and cnt take any meds for the pain. pls help. y
    tia

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Symptoms came on suddenly with no previous history of injury or inflammatory arthritis. Sore right side of foot with redness, swelling and pain 1st diagnosed as possible gout (although not typical location for gout) Prescribed anti-inflammatory, crutches and to stay off feet. 3 days later symptoms had worsened and consequently doctor diagnosed possible cellulitis-prescribed oral antibiotics. 2 days later swelling and redness had increased and pain worse (now extreme) Sent to emergency dept of local hospital where they did xrays and examined foot. Nothing visible on xrays-could be cellulitis so put on intravenous antibiotics, an oral anti inflammatory and pain meds. Doctor didn't think it was cellulitis but prescribed the antibiotics as left untreated cellulitis can result in flesh eating disease. Not quite sure what's causing symptoms.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi we are having the same issues here except its my son who is 15! it hurts all the time tho not just here and there! he was on crutches for 3 weeks dr says he doesn't understand but there there is nothing medically wrong with his feet so if he wants to suffer thru the pain it is nothing but a comfort level at this point. He did exrays and blood work not gout or arthritis, he gives up and is sending us to a rhumatologist. but he already ruled that out! I have family that is medical so we are pulling some strings and hopefully heading to the mayo clinic soon. Please keep me posted on all of this i wish you all luck and if I find answers i will let you all know
    Thanks
    jamie

10. Meoshi

Meoshi Guest

I have the same problems. I went to a vascular surgeon and he told me I had deficient blood valves. The blood has to work too hard to get back up to the heart. He said it's hereditary and will not get better, only worse. Exercise and good diet, plus 15 minutes a day of elevating your feet ABOVE your heart will help maintain it. In addition, you can't stand OR sit for too long without moving around so the blood will circulate. Bottom line...take care of yourself. If you have to, get a water pill (temporarily) to get rid of the water. Then make some conscious changes, like rocking back and forth on your heels when you have to stand for too long; taking breaks to walk around every hour when you're traveling so you don't sit too long; and considering a career change if you don't get enough movement. Last resort is vascular surgery.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I mentioned the water pill because you retain water around your ankles...just wanted to clarify.

12. G pain

G pain Guest

I too am currently suffering from severe swelling and foot pain in my right foot.
    This is not my first episode. I have scene my family Dr and a sports medicine dr who told me I have Achilles tendinitis, I have also had plantar fasciitis and gout right now it feels like all are kicking in at the same time. I only have major medical. I had a one day supply left of gout meds which I took just in case and I have a short supply of percocete which has helpt me get through the nite. I have also tried soaking in hot water with epson salt followed by stretching (what ever I can handle) then I soak it in ice water for at least 5 min. I have a walking air cast which allows me to move around without to much pain ( highly recommend getting one check ebay about $130 with an air pump. ) I have also been taking 1200 mill of ibuprofen daily 4 pills 3 times a day. I have not missed work or much sleep by following this. Not sure if its the right recipe but its all I know, always looking for more info as the Dr's have not done much and my insurance is poor. Hoping this subsides soon. They last time it was worse I used an air cast with crutches for 3 weeks then slowly was able to drop the crutches then the cast then tapped the foot, then just back to normal. Highly recomend proper footbeds (I use super feet abpit $35pr.) and even put one in my air cast. I also use heal-less shoes when I start to feel it coming on I stick with them until its gone completely.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had it only once so far. But both feet at the same. Try walking not using either foot. Nothing wrong and when I woke at 2 am I thought someone has been using my feet for target practice. It hurt to put a sheet on it. I have had kids but the pain was 10Xs worse. Swollen feet, red on the foot bone below the big toe, heat in the feet, and when it was gone my feet peeled. Suffered with it for 7 days went to doc on 8th. It was an interesting drive there. She gave me anti inflammatory pills and told me to take them until it was better. It look 7 days. They did the blood test for gout etc and all came back negative. I was on a low carb diet (3rd week) and wondered if that helped it along. I exercise at a gym 3 times a week with weights and low impact aerobics. I hope it doesn't come back but reading all the posts here, it doesn't look good.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I woke up this morning to the extreme tear-evoking pain that we all know all too well. This has happened to me periodically over the last 5 years to both feet, primarily on the tops of my feet and lower ankle. This time it's the bottom of my 2nd and 3rd toes and is excruciating. This location is new to me, but I am going to try what I have done in the past, STAYING OFF IT 100%. I have crutches that I use for flare-ups and staying off of it is the absolute best, and fastest, way for me to get rid of this debilitating condition. I also went to a foot and ankle Dr a few years ago and he gave me some stretches to do, which although painful at times, are very helpful and I recommend them strongly. These have worked well for me and I hope this is helpful, it's just a bummer that here I am in this miserable pain once again. Good luck out there and stay off your foot so you can get better and move on!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have similar problems with my feet. Approximately two to three years ago my left foot gradually became so painful I couldn't walk on it without experiencing agony, this was accompanied by swelling. And then, my right foot about a week later. I was out of action for six weeks and couldn't walk at all, and got around with the aid of crutches.

As I write, I'm experiencing it again, same thing and moving to both feet. I've searched everywhere for some sort of clue as to what it could be. I know it isn't gout, because I can touch the area and there's no more or less pain than if isn't touched. It isn't symptomatic of arthritis either, as far as I can tell. Voltaren really helps, but other than that it's the old R.I.C.E methods, and that helps but not much.

I'm reluctant to go to the doctor with this because I just feel that he/she will just misdiagnose or simply scratch his/her head.

Hopefully, for everyone's sake, someone will come along with an answer soon.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had swollen ankles/feet for over a week now. Just seems to get worse. Right one is worse than left. Doctor said it presented as foot trauma, but both feet? And I have suffered no foot trauma to my knowledge. Blood tests showed nothing. Excruciating getting up at night or first thing in the a.m. Tingling up into my legs as well. If I take some ibuprofen I can make it through the work day and the pain seems to not be too much of a problem. I am so frustrated as the docs say "it's a virus; just try to ride it out." Really? I wish I could figure this out. I'm getting more and more depressed about this. I've always been very fit and active so this is such a mystery. I'm 55 and female. It is helpful to see that others know what this is like, but frustrating that so many of us can't seem to find answers. My thoughts are with all of you.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Pain in my left foot near my arch and swollen ankles that have bothered me for three weeks now. It is worse when eating sweets, salty foods and spicy foods. Not a diabetic, xrays are fine, no gout. Trying to get control of my diet, not overweight but can't understand why all of a sudden the pain started with the foods. Advil kills the pain, but the doctor has no answer/cure for it. I'm in my early sixties, maybe this is what happens at this age.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. Izzyrunner

Izzyrunner New Member

I'm glad you all are here. I too am a member. It comes once a year for me. It's been happening for ten years now. I keep crutches in the closet. I've pulled them out now. It's the right side of my right foot. I read online suggestions and last night tried to stretch it or pop something back into place. Well today it's swollen. The pain has been so great. I feel like no one believes me. I've been to the dr and ER in the past and it's the same, pain pills and rest. I run marathons but haven't in two years. It just seems to happen when it's wants to. Ibuprofin has been the remedy so far. Tonight I soaked it in Epsom salt. I don't want surgery on my foot. But the post prior about the veins and valves not closing sounds right. Because it hurts most when I raise my foot or lower it. I can feel the blood flow rushing down there causing pain. I'm just hoping it goes away for another year soon. I hope that I meet somebody too because getting around my apt for a glass of milk or to do anything takes half an hour. My apt is small. Haha. I pray you all find comfort soon.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My hubby has been having this problem and I just got it. Dr said
    it was planter facitis gone out of control and develop into tendinitis. You need to stretch every AMERICAN
    or it will return, plus wear support insoles for lots of walking. The
    hubby no longer gets it... This is my first experience and it's horrid. I'm going
    to follow his example from here on.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sorry typed '' AM'' however auto correct changed it to American...
    STRETCH YOUR FEET EVERY MORNING.