1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

numbness in big toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Stretch your Piriformis muscle (or see a physio first). It may be tight/inflammed/knotted and thus compressing your Sciatic nerve. I'm a rower and cyclist and have suffered this in the past. Stretching it helps massively - although it does come back becasue I continue with the activities.

You might also want to try doing isolated upper hamstring stretching as well as stretching your Psoas.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 42 year old female and I also have numbness on the outer part of my big toes, which appeared first after my second childbirth, 12 years ago. I had no epidural anesthesia, so we can rule that out, I think. However, the problem is somewhere in spine probably. Recently, I feel again, just like during the first month after I had my second child, numbness i n part ofmy soles as well, after getting up. I'm not glad this is happening to either of us and I don't want end up x-raying myself for nothing. I could live like this, since it isn't bothering me. But I do get worried sometimes, wondering if my feet are in danger.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi All,

I am 33 years old. I had the same problem for about 3 months and I understand what you all are going through. The good part is I am cured of this problem completely for couple of months now and there is no recurrance. Let me tell you some of the things which (i think) have helped me:
    . Bought and started using Orthaheel shoes
    . Bought very soft sleepers (feels like foam) and used at home when not wearing shoes i.e. never walk bare foot
    . Attended Sri Sri Ravishankars Padma Sadhna, Yoga, Pranayam & meditation sessions for about one week and then continued at my own for next few months. I think one of the yogasana which is sitting in padmasana helps a lot the lowers parts of our legs in addition to correcting the back posture and stomach related ailments.
    . Laugh a lot, I did it by playing lots with children, they are the ones will laugh at any thing funny and then you laugh and then they will laugh at you back.... Be happy as if today is the last day of your life!!!
    . Immerse your feets and some portion of your legs in hot water every day for about 30 minutes at least one sitting, two will be the best.
    . Pray to god daily
    . Before sleep imagine that you are recovering slow and steadily and standing straight on your feet like a handsome man or a pretty girl

All the best!

Manish

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

After reading everyones post, I would have to say that unless you are blessed with a great doctor who cares you may never know "medically". I believe it has something to do with the nerve path not being clear, such as the sciatic nerve pathway. Although our symptoms are similar the causes may be of different roots. Lack of care to the circulatory system may have some effect as well. As we all know, most people have bad posture, do not eat right, and rarely ever get a massage. Alternative approaches such as massage, acupuntcure, and yoga are always benefical. The cyclist's post tend to be the most helpful.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same problem. I just got back from the neurologist who said it was from calluses from running. I run about 3 miles at time, 3 times a week, and I have a callus on the bottom of both toes; the left callus is bigger and my left toe is number. He said it wasn't something to worry about but that if it starts hurting I'll need to worry about getting new shoes. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard this. I've never been pregnant.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Your problem may be caused by problems with your back.
    Check out spinal disc herniation and arthritis in your back.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 42 yr old mother of three, I have had epiderals, but not for 16 years, I recently had surgery in my lower abdomen, and it is after that that I noticed the numbness in both my big toes, I am also diabetic and have two herniated discs in my neck, I always thought it was the surgery or the pinched nerves in my neck from the herniated discs. Also mentioned it to my doctor and it was kind of brushed aside.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I noticed this about a week ago, I had gone to a picnic was wearing new sandals that covered the toes. I am a very healthy 43yr old with a 5yr old child. I did have an epidural in 2006 but no problems. The only problem (medical) that I have ever had is low iron, which is corrected by taking an over the counter iron vitamin. I noticed the numbness first about 5 days ago, today its been tingling...not enough to bother you but enough to make you aware of it. When I felt around my big toes with my nails...lol, I found that the part that is actually numb on both feet is the top of the toe (if my toe had knuckles on it, its where the first knuckle would be). I have always taken excellent care of my feet but I wear size 5 so most of the shoes in my size are very narrow, I do get from time to time corns, but they go away after a few days. I use a pumice stone and foot file at least 3 times per week. If anyone knows what causes this please post. thanks so much. PS: I don't think its a side effect of any drugs since I don't take any, don't smoke or drink and have only taken iron and multi vitamins. In the past year I have taken about 10 advils total for headaches and thats it.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

oh wow! i am not the only one - numbness on the outside of both big toes.....i thought it had been my boots which i wore for hours at a time and they hurt but they looked so good - but i cannot remember whether the sharp sharp pain came about then, but that is how the numbness started , with a very shap pain that woke me at night, first the left then the right. my toes are very cold too. i massage them nightly but they are still numb.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 32 yr old female suffering from this problem for about 14 yrs now. Before I had any children as well. About 10 yrs ago I complained to my doctor and was sent for ultrasound and ekg on my feet and wrists and nothing came of it. the outside of my big toes are completely numb but I will experience bad pain on the very inside of the toes after a long shift at work on my feet. i don't know if i should be scared about this or not! but glad to hear other people have the same problem!

11. Shanashe

Shanashe Guest

I had to respond because I can't believe what I am reading. I too have numbness on the outside of my big toe (right). It started a few years ago, but seems to have spread a bit. My pregnancy and C-Section was 13 years ago; I had a saddleblock, and I remember having a shocking sensation in the my right big toe. Wierd! Ever since then, I've had a bit of a numbness. I was afraid it might be diet related, because I am overweight. But I am pleased to hear that others have had similar experiences. Now, does anyone have a cure/treatment for it (I may have missed the treatment part in the other comments).

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi! I'm an 18 year old male and a couple weeks ago I noticed I had slight numbness at the very tip of my left big toe. At the time that I noticed I assumed that it was my sandals cutting off circulation or something. It doesn't seem to get worse but sometimes it bugs me and makes me feel anxiously uncomfortable.
    Diabetes runs in my fathers side and I'm not the healthiest individual so I considered that it could be signs of diabetes also. Maybe mines different because its only one of my toes?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi! I am an 18 year old female and this problem started for me a little over a week ago. I too that perhaps it was my shoes because I was on my feet at a convention all weekend plus started a new job in which I am constantly on my feet when it started. I had poor circulation in my feet before (stupid doctors said it was normal for people my height but I'm not buying that since I'm only 5'6") and used to turn blue. But nothing like this has happened. They haven't swollen or changed color in a few years. Just this numbness like they fell asleep but don't wake up. I massage them regularly and I've been trying to stay off my feet which sucks because I always need to be moving. I don't have diabetes or any vitamin/mineral deficiency after blood tests. It's uncomfortable whenever they rub on things. It's just my big toes...has anyone had any solutions?

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 20 year old female and have this too. :( I think I got it from wearing shoes that were pressing on the base of my big toe. The shoes weren't uncomfortable until I noticed the numbness. I have stopped wearing the shoes for a week but the numbness isn't going away. What is the treatment for this?

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am looking for anyone who had numbness in the big toes for over 6 months without any interruption. My 14yr old daughter has had it since April and most recently now in both big toes. It has nothing to due with her shoes. We are currently having extensive tests being done. So far diabetes has been ruled out. We are praying its not MS, but something is causing nerve damage. Has anyone been diagnosed?

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I never heard of an ekg for your feet

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a male, 26 years old. I went on Vacation a couple of weeks ago. I was on my feet a lot. A few days into my vacation I got slight numbness on the outside of my right big toe. I thought it was something with being on my feet a lot. After a day or so, I got the numbness on the outside of my left big toe. Now the inside of my right big toe is totally numb and the outside of my left big toe is slightly numb. It has been this way for over a week now.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Oh wow. I'm twenty and I just noticed my numbness, It really freaked me out so I googled. This is so amazing, to see everyone feeling the same.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had the same issue... numbness in both big toes for more than six months. The left is worse than the right. I did have a baby 10 months ago and it occured a few months after birth.... can you please email me any news you have gotten about your daughter?

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I got a job this summer which required me to stand on my feet for long hours each day, and I started noticing numbness in my big toes too. I thought it was from my shoes since I never wore them that long, but changing shoes didn't help. I stopped working and wear the most comfortable shoes if I have to go out and it's still there.

I went to the doctor and she said absentmindedly it was 'probably a hernia, nothing to worry about', without actually checking me out. She also said the feeling might never come back. I'm an insanely worried about this. I'm thinking of going to another doctor for a second opinion, but I thought I'd do some research first to be more prepared. Too bad it seems no one knows what causes this!