1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

ring toe?big toe numb feels tied with string

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ldahling

ldahling Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Big toe feels ringed with rubber band

I have this too, on both my big toes. I am quite surprised there are so many people with the same thing. I attribute it to edema (swelling) of the feet, but don't know why the edema. It concerns me that diabetes got mentioned, so I will check with my doctor next visit.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

wow, I guess we all have the same feeling. My toe by the big toe feels like a bandage wraped around it and like it fell asleep. i had this problem for 3 days i'm going to the doctors in an hour so wish me luck. btw how long does it last its driveing me nuts

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have been feeling like this on my left big toe, was interested to hear edema mentioned as I had this problem a few years ago on my other foot and not too long after developed lymphedema in that ankle / foot and leg (bit freaked out now that histor may be repeating itself) however i do a lot of running and sport and think that the pain could be down to a recent half marathon, its training and/or needing new trainers. I have been told that if you are wearing poorly fitting shoes or slip on type then your foot has to work harder to keep them on your feet (or something to that effect) and can over work ligaments/muscles etc. wondered if there was any truth in this? The sensation is more annoying that pain.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having the same prob...But i hate these threads like this b/c all people do is talk about their problems with out getting any answers...can anyone answer anything about our toes being numb? And just don't say "go to the DR"

5. lyndan88

lyndan88 Guest

OK I too have the phantom string or long hair around my large toe syndrome. What happened to the person who checked with a doctor?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have this on my middle toes. Last time I went to the dr I mentioned it. He checked that I didn't have a clot and then sent me for an xray and ultrasound....NOTHING. He said it could be just nerve damage as it started after I got pregnant with my first child I had chronic fankles. I sleep on my stomach and was wondering if having your feet flexed back might have something to do with it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow me too, I thought I would do a googelsearch on this topic and lo and behold... I have had this conditionfor years, probably related to diabetes, It gets better after I do my insulin though,,

8. Darcy

Darcy New Member

:confused:I too have been having that sensation around both of my big toes. It happened about 2 months ago. I also have a strange sensation on the bottoms of my feet. It feels as though I have pieces of strafoam in my shoes. I went to the foot doctor and he took x-rays and did an examination and sent me for blood work to rule out diabetes. I have no fractures and I do not have diabetes. I regularly go to the chiropractor weekly (for about 20 years) and I did tell him about it but my back is in good condition. I cannot imagine what it is - it is not painful, just annoying. If I stand up and bend the tops of my big toes down to touch the floor, it feels like a string tied around my big toes. Does anyone know what is causing this problem. Is it nerve related and will it get better??

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have seen a chiro, an accupuncturist and a dr and no one has solved this mystery. Might ask the physio down the road if they have heard of anything. Can't hurt to try.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think I might have an answer for some of you. I get this sensation from time to time on various toes.... like there is one of my girlfriends long hairs wrapped around a toe. I believe it is some kind of fungus, something like tinea or athletes foot, so I treat it with anti fungus cream and after a few days the sensation disappears. I would be interested in hearing results from anyone else if they try this remedy. Even though it seems to work for me, I came looking at this topic hoping to find confirmation of my theory.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

did you get any answers? I don't usually wear high heels but I wore some really high ones to my 25th class reunion and that night this sensation was in my left ring toe, I thought I was stepping on something and it is constant. I was thinking about going to the doctor, but really feeling like they would brush it off.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey, the feet flexed back makes sense to me because, mine started the day after wearing some really high heels (same foot position as sleeping on your stomach) I wonder if it's going to ever go away?

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just started working standing on my feet and i have the feeling that a rubber band is warped around the base of both of my big toes and one little toe.....I have had this before but don't know what to do about it. It doesn't hurt just bothersome, i have tried all kinds of shoes and nothing seems to help but a few make it worse....If anyone knows what it is or how to stop it i would love to know

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I visited the physio and he worked on the lower back and butt and I don't have the feeling anymore. No more string for me!!!!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So I am going to sound like everyone else that found this thread but I CANNOT BELIEVE I'm not the only one feeling this! I told like 5 people today that I was describing it to that it feels like there is a string tied around it (my left pinky toe), or like a band aid is wrapped around it really tight...only there is nothing there. When I walk it almost feels like there is gum or something stuck to the bottom of my toe but when I look of course there is nothing! After reading all this I still don't have a clear cut idea of what's going on, still looking for good treatment ideas... someone suggested I stick it in warm water, who knows. Seeing a Dr. would probably be smart but I'm afraid I will just come back with test results that are negative and get nowhere in finding out what it is! Sorry I'm not help except for letting you know that I feel your pain! Hope we can find answers soon =).

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had the "big toe fishline" feeling for many years to include many other strange sensations from stabbing to numbness to pins and needles. I visited MANY doctors to include an orthopedist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, neurologist, endocrinologist, cardiologist and rheumatologist. No one had an answer. I do have mild diabetes (a1c at 5.9 with low dose of actoplus) but the endocrinologist finally felt that it was not diabetes related. I then, after hearing a presentation by a surgeon as to what was possibly (I wish to emphasize possibility, not probability) causing these symptoms, decided to have nerve decompression surgery. In this procedure three incisions are made, one on the side of the leg below and to the outside of the knee, one on top of the foot, and one ("L" shaped) around the ankle. Each incision is for the purpose of cutting away a portion of the ligament/tendon that "entraps" the nerve. This procedure was developed by Dr. A. Lee Dellon (google him...he has a website) and has had various degrees of success. I had the surgery on January 14, 2010 and, to date, I have not had relief. However, I have been told that it could take as long as eighteen months for positive results. So, for now, I have to be patient.

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have this issue with the middle toe next to my big toe. i have nerve damage and degenerative disks, so i'm quite sure a pinched nerve could be the culprit as i have no other health issues that i'm aware of. when i wake up in the morning however, my legs, feet, arms and hands are numb and tingly, sometimes with no sensation of touch whatsoever. It takes several minutes of sitting up for the feeling to return. i will try to remember to ask about the toe next time i'm at the dr, it really does feel like there is a string around it. the verry first time it happened i was suprized to find nothing there.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I started having the sensation of a tight rubber band around the base of the big toe on my right foot, after my second foot surgery (fell in the shower, dislocated foot & had screws put in 8 months ago & then had the screws taken out 5 months ago). I get it mostly while I am sleeping but it wakes me up bc it occurs in conjunction with excrutiating pain from a foot cramp (the big toe "points" up, the other 4 toes "point" down & the calf muscle is involved as well). I have to get up & "walk" it off. 5 years prior to my foot surgery I had lower back surgery & that resulted in cramping of my calf which affected the arch of my foot (it also would wake me up & I would have to walk it off). The doc told me that would happen. The "new" cramping is much more painful & harder to "walk off."
    The cramping occurs when my foot gets cold (I must wear house slippers & can't go bearfoot on tile, wood floors). Everytime I wake up with the rubber band sensation/cramping, I notice that my foot/calf is cold (have kicked off the covers & my calf is exposed even though I have PJs on). I try to wear a long sock on my right leg & it tends to help but occasionally, I somehow manage to kick it off or it just comes down, while sleeping.
    I did notice that if I wear any type of high heels during the day, the cramping, rubber band feeling is worse at night. The rubber band feeling lingers (w/o pain) after I walk off the cramp. I believe that these problems I am experiencing are related to the nerve that sends the sensation to my calf & foot. I used to stretch out my foot, leg, back for about 20 minutes before bedtime (flexing foot back & forth, circular rotation of foot/ankle to the right & then left, cat/camel stretching back etc.) & that did help...hmmm, I should try that again to see if it helps my new issues.

19. Libmeister

Libmeister Guest

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have (or had) the same thing. About two weeks ago I felt that I had a hair wrapped around my second smallest toe on my left foot and though I checked many times for the phantom hair, the feeling wouldn't go away. I searched on the net and found this thread but didn't post anything at that time. I am posting now because maybe my experience might help someone. I had never had this 'phantom hair' feeling before in my life. I am perfectly healthy. I have been watching my weight for several months (well, my whole life, really - I'm not overweight, just vain!) and about two weeks ago, I relapsed into bad eating habits. Our family had lots of parties around the same time and every day for about a week I ate several pieces of leftover cake, with lots of icing on it. Very unlike me. At the same time I also had relapsed into a coffee-drinking habit, something I avidly try to avoid as caffeine doesn't agree with me at all. Three days ago I bit the bullet and got back onto my weight loss regime, and haven't had a drop of caffeine since then either (no tea, no chocolate, nothing). And the phantom hair disappeared overnight! I mention both the caffeine and the diet because I made the changes at the same time so can't tell which one caused the 'cure'. Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just started having the same issue. Glad to hear it's fairly common. Hope someone is doing medical research to find the source now. The fungus possibility is interesting and just might have merit. I have tinea versicolor (rash looking discoloration on my chest, shoulders and back), which is a fungus that I have successfully treated with Ketoconazole cream. If Lamisil doesn't work for the toe, I'll use the rest of the Keto cream and let everyone know! Maybe we found the solution!