1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Annoying foot itch

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have been suffering for the past 5 years with the bottom of my feet AND heels itching. Sometimes the itch is so extreme I lay on the floor and rub the bottom of my feet back and forth on my brick fireplace! I litterally bruise the bottom of my feet doing this, but it's the only relief I can get from the itching when I have a bad case of itching. It comes and goes, sometimes not as extreme. I have gone to Drs. they tell me it's exama sp? which I have on the palms of my hands. Nothing has helped, I have so many different creams from Drs. and over the counter...absolutely nothing helps. I'm 54 years old and this started when I was 49. I sure wish somebody knew what it is and what could cure it.

2. Gary M

Gary M Guest

Hi,

I have been facing a similar problem where my both left and right foot have itching and this itching is accompanied by pain as well.
    Well I showed it to my podiatrist and he said that it is because of my lower back pain.

I have a history of lower back problem due to herniated disc and the doctor is saying that the pain is due to the disc herniation.

The majority of the pain is felt in my big toes. I have also felt some pain in my hips (extreme right side of the right hip) and these days the pain and itchiness is in my right foot.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    G

3. Tipster

Tipster Guest

Here's what you do. Dip your feet into 115-125 F degree water. You'll probably be able to take 5 to maybe 10 seconds. Don't burn yourself but take it right to that threshold. The itching will disappear. Until your next shower anyway. It works.

4. Jack's wife

Jack's wife Guest

My husband has had the deep, terribly annoying foot itch off and on for years. No doctor has been able to give clues as to what causes it. I agree that it probably has to do with nerve endings. I got a magnesium product for muscle cramps that also calms the nerve endings and usually works quickly. It is called REJUUV. Perhaps it will help some of you too.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have also had this extremely annoying foot itch only on my right foot. I have had this condition for over 10 years. It is so annoying that I often scratch my foot on my concrete driveway or my carpet usually to the point of my foot turning raw or getting rug burns. Mine also has very small water bumps that if scratched hard and long enough will pop. I asked my local dermatologist and showed him my foot that I pretty much scratch to shreds and he called the condition "Dyshidrosis". Pronounced Dis-hydro-sis. What he explained to me was the condition is your foot being allergic to your own sweat. He prescribed a steroidal topical cream which did absolutely nothing and basically told me that there is NO CURE! WHAT? I said. I am seriously clawing at my foot as I am typing this. I have searched and searched for anyone that has found anything to make this horrible condition any better and have had absolutely no luck. sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but if you have an uncontrollable itch usually only on one foot and upon incessant itching you discover very small bumps that fill with water, I would bet you too have the incurable Dyshidrosis. Another symptom is if you notice after a couple of days after a very intense itching episode the skin in the immediate area tends to dry and somewhat flake or sluff off. Sounds gross but it is a known side effect. Hope this info helps some of you to better understand what the condition you may have.

6. Hi all fellow foot itchers,
    Great to read all posts and realise not alone in trying to find stranger and stranger things to itch with, but as with everyone else only temporary relief! I have shortened pedicles at lumber 4&5 on my spine which squeezes the spinal chord and causes pain, numbness and pins and needles down the right leg and my doctor reckons the itch is part of the same problem. I also get a strange kind of itch on the back of my calf.

Sorry not to have any useful treatment.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If scratching an itch where it itches relieves the itch, the cause of the itch is local to the site of the itch and not remove from it.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was so pleased to find this website....I thought it was just me with some new fangled disease!! The itch on the sole of my left foot 'could' send me round the bend...I have finally resorted to a round strong bristled, hairbrush to 'try' and get rid of it..I have tried every fungal cream, cortizone with aloe, bite and sting relief and Diprobase cream for itiching..NOTHING WORKS....However, I am prone to itchness, dry skin etc..so I wonder if it's not just an off-shoot of that. I have very sensitive skin and have done for years, but nothing like this EVER!!!...It doesn't feel like a 'regular' itch it sort of sears into the foot but itching at the same time and goes on for hours...It's making me crazy!! I wonder if it's an allergy to something? Has to be...Any thoughts anyone...

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If there are no visible skin manifestations at the site of the itch, you are likely barking up the wrong tree with topical preparations such such as corticosteroid and antifungal creams/ointments. If there ARE local manifestations, a dermatologist should be consulted for a diagnosis and treatment. Itching without skin manifestations is generally of neural origin, and may or may not be treatable.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Fot Doc: Thank you so much for your reply to the chlorine bleach. I googled this this morning because I too have had a bad and constant itch bottom right foot at the arch. Started about a month ago. I was considering soaking in a bleach/water mixture. Thought it might kill whatever is there. So, I am glad I read what you wrote. I won't do that now. Maybe Witch Hazel as someone else suggested.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your posts. I've suffered from this embarrassing phenomenon for several years, but didn't even know where to begin. Dr's such as the lovely fella on here (Foot Dr) don't seem to care much and want to wish it away as if it's in your head. (no more "me, too's...) I was horrified at the response he made about the little girl. This is real. It's not in anyone's head and telling someone that is inappropriate, in my opinion. I thank you all so much for the suggestions you've made and the conversation that's taken place. Feeling you're not alone is comforting. The suggestions about the lower back were very interesting to me. As I've said, this has gone on for years with me, but recently I've been having very acute pain in my sciatic nerve. I'm planning to consult a chiropractor to see if anything can be done. I will repost if the foot problem begins to go away. I've also played with the sugar idea in the past and have been diagnosted with insulin resistance... so I'm investigating that as well. Again thank you... and I encourage you to do a little research for yourself, possibly including a food diary along with noting times of the occurrence...and Mr. Foot Dr... please be kinder. These people are suffering.

12. JD4

JD4 Guest

I'm glad to have found this thread, & I appreciate everyone's descriptions & suggestions. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person experiencing this.
    My itching just started within the past few months. It affects the heels & arches of both feet. My feet look the same as always. The itching only occurs once every week or 2, on average, but when it does, it's VERY annoying. It can be really hard to deal with when I'm in public, especially in situations where I have to be quiet & relatively still, like in a class (I'm a college student). Someone mentioned their feet feeling like they're on fire when they shower--I started experiencing that 2 or 3 weeks ago. During some showers, I've also felt a faint "burning" on the palms of my hands.
    Some people in this thread have said that their itching might be related to back problems. I'm only 22, but I haven't treated my back very well, spending entire nights hunched over my art (that's my major), which I was doing A LOT of in November & December. As I said, the itching started around November, so maybe it could be related to whatever damage I've done to my back?
    My dad said that my feet might just be dried out, because my feet are always cold & never sweat. But I don't really think moisturizing my feet has helped with the itching.
    Good luck, everyone!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I do ido!!! The exact same thing soooo annoying!!

14. Suzzie

Suzzie Guest

so glad to have found this thread!!

i've been suffering with intense itching on the left side of my foot in a very small spot for nearly two years. I religiously put anti-fungal creams on it two or three times a day for an entire year - to no avail. Often it wakes me up in the middle of the night, and once it starts itching, I can't go back to bed. I'm constantly tired and miserable from this stupid itch.

The only relief I have found is in using a pedi-spa - one of those foot soak machines that bubbles, heats, and vibrates. Usually, if I use it a half hour or so before bed, I can make it through till the morning. Since it only itches when i'm laying down or sitting with my legs on the sofa, it makes it much more tolerable and manageable.

15. Itchy Mom

Itchy Mom Guest

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. I've had an itch on the right side of my left heel for the last 4 years, which is when my daughter was born. I had an epidural then ended up having a c-section. I'm wondering if the epidural or surgery had anything to do with it. It's driving me crazy!

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This problem first started for me after a very stressful time. I had it on both hands and my right foot; it is little tiny bumps filled with water as someone mentioned. Using a steroid cream I was able to cure it from my hands but have never totally removed it from my foot and this is about 4 years now. It seems to get worse if I am stressed and I totally agree with the person who mentioned scratching their foot on the stairs, that is one of the few things that actually helps!!!

Mine was diagnosed as pompholyx eczema which I think is the same as the dyshidrosis that someone previously mentioned. With this you can definitely see the tiny blister-like bumps on the skin and then after a week or so the skin goes red and looks dry and even bits of it peel off. With me then the whole process begins over again and it just goes on!!! Some of the posters on here don't seem to have anything showing on their skin so I'm not sure if this applies to you but the itching certainly sounds the same!!

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am so glad hear that I am not alone. My left foot has an itch that starts from under the ball under my big toe in the arch and runs in a diagonal line across the top of the arch to the inside of my foot. Sometimes I scratch so hard and deep, to no relief, that I expose the skin and make it raw. I read here of restless leg, lower back pain, and tennis shoes theories. (Hot water triggers my itch every day). I tried an anti-itch cream my doctor prescribed, but it was useless. I have a metal-legged coffee table with a sharp edge that has become my scratcing post -- completely unappealing, but it provides a temporary relief that not too many can understand unless you suffer from this ailment. I'll continue to follow this thread hoping there may be a breakthrough or ah-hah suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had the same issue with the both of my arches on the bottom of my feeting itching. I had this feeling that I had not been eating properly and thought it might be something that I was deficient in. I did read in my web browsing that it might be a vitamin B issue. I started taking a good multi vitamin and the problem has all but disappeared.
    It's an easy thing to try out...so i'd say give it a shot.

19. Foot Itcher

Foot Itcher Guest

So relieved to find a thread such as this. I've suffered with a persistent itch in one area of my foot for YEARS. There is no surface indication of why, and scratching or applying ointment really does nothing. It's worse at night when I'm not distracted by anything else.

Interestingly enough, I had a spinal fusion when I was 11 years old due to spondylolisthesis. This was the leg that received the brunt of the nerve damage. I wonder. Seriously thought I was going crazy.

20. bigtimekicks

bigtimekicks New Member

We are a global health sharing organization