1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Thick skin on big toe

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Marie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Marie

Marie Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It's just a thick layer of skin. It doesn't hurt. In fact, it's numb. When I press hard, it hurts a bit.

It's on the top of my big toe. It peels sometimes. Thick little rows of skin.

Is there something for this that I can buy over the counter?

I don't have medical insurance. Will a doctor charge a lot of money to diagnose the problem?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

There are a number of reasons why skin might thicken or present with an over-growth or keratotic overlay. Without knowing the specific reason in your case, it could possibly be unsafe or inappropriate to recommend a treatment which you would then provide yourself without supervision. A podiatrist or dermatologist would normally charge for only an initial office visit and possibly but not probably a biopsy for a diagnosis. As cost is your concern, you could likely get a realistic estimate by calling the doctor of your choice. It can then be determine whether it is something that requires treatment and who would best provide it.

3. Dr. Conway

Dr. Conway Guest

Just cut off the thick skin with your toe nail clippers

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dont cut off access skin go see a Medical Doctor or a foot Doctor to find out what can be done.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I believe it may be a calis from nomal walking/wearing shoes/rubbing the top of toe nuckle, like i have. Use a pumise stone and rub off dead skin layers.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012