1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Chronic Sesamoiditis - not sure where else to turn.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This is an additional add-on from my last post about toe spacers. Although they helped for a bit, I didn't get the true relief I needed.

At my wit's end, I started looking on the Internet for something that might work from the inside out. Has anyone out there tried coconut oil? I've been taking 2 tbsp. of coconut oil daily for the past week or so. I never realized that coconut oil has such a healing effect on the body and immune system. I've also started oil pulling, which helps draw toxins out of the body. And, what the heck, I also started drinking Bragg apple cider vinegar with 1/2 tsp. of baking soda (to balance out the acid) in the mornings. I'm taking vitamins on a more regular basis and have been making an effort to clean up my diet.

I think it might be the coconut oil that has been helping the most, although I'm going to keep up with the oil pulling and ACV as well.

My foot is suddenly feeling better. I've had persistent problems with itching/burning/swelling in the affected foot, but I've had problems as well with my other foot.

I'll have to report back later, as time goes on, to see if there is lasting improvement.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It's got to be organic, pure extra virgin coconut oil, btw.

3. DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

I think the above paragraph is a must for anyone responding to anyone's request for medical information.
    Having said that, I too will start by saying you need a diagnosis. From what you have stated, the diagnostic tests demonstrate mild changes. For sure you have described hallux (great toe) Limitus (limited range of motion). There are many causes associated with hallux limitus including but not limited to sesamoidits. In early stages of hallux limitus, the pain can be moderate to severe and the bone changes, minimum. Non operative approach is to limit joint motion, stiff sole, low heel shoes, NSAIS, occasional steroid injection to control inflamation. However, unless the mechanics of your foot can be controlled appropriately, the cartilage within the joint will get damaged and the condition has a good chance of worsening. In early stages, intraarticular (in the joint) injection of Platelet Rich Plasma, PRP, may show promise in the healing of minimally damaged cartilage, but the use of PRP without reducing the damaging forces to the joint will not be lasting.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Finally getting rid of pain

I hope this will be the last time I post on here. I've realized that wearing shoes with the toe box wide enough so that there is plenty of room for all my toes to stretch out in is the way to go. I stopped wearing socks with my running shoes because my feet couldn't move as well. The only things I've kept up with, aside from taking vitamins, are oil pulling with virgin organic coconut oil, and taking around a tsp. of coconut oil a day. Bruce Fife has a book about the positive effects from oil pulling and its help for the immune system as well. Well, here's something else: I slather Vicks Vapo Rub on my foot each night before bed and put a sock over my foot, and I've been doing some meditation, visualizing my foot as healthy and strong.

I can really understand and empathize with everyone who has suffered from sesamoiditis. Anyone who hasn't suffered from this doesn't understand, I don't think, the true ramifications of it and the terrible ordeal it causes. I wish all the best to everyone who has experienced sesamoiditis and sesamoid fractures. I thought about having surgery sometime in the future, as I thought I would never heal, but gradually the pain is going away. At times, though, I experience quite a bit of pain if I'm doing something too jarring for my foot, and I have to be careful. I'll be happy to finally be able to look around and admire the beautiful scenery, when out walking, rather than concentrating on the nagging pain in my foot!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

After all my messages, nothing worked long term. Nothing. However, I'm now slathering castor oil on my feet before bed to see if that works, and putting socks on. Someone had posted about using a combo of castor oil and Vicks Vapo Rub for a bone spur and that it helped tremendously. I thought, what the heck, I have a bone spur as well as sesamoiditis, why not try it? I'm just using castor oil at this point. I have felt the best with this remedy but am not going to say any more because I don't know if it's truly healing the sesamoiditis and bone spur. But as of now, I can actually walk without having to dwell on how awful and debilitated I'm feeling.

If this helps, heals, etc., I will certainly post here again.

6. EddieDPM

EddieDPM Guest

As a 4th year medical student I would , in a hypothetical case such as (legal purposes), treatment of a dancer's pad/met pad that you can get online for a few dollars (4-6 bucks). It is important to keep the edge of the pad proximal/behind the metatarsal head of the metatarsal phlanageal joint involved. Keep in mind that this does not treat the etiology of the problem (the sesamoidal ligament may be torn, capsule involvement,AVN). If there has been any weight gain associated with the problem then losing weight while offloading the region may produce better results as well as realizing that the met pad will need to be changed during offloading as they wear down at around 2 weeks depending on activity. Also, the treatment depends on the extent of the damage done and again, the etiology/differentials would need to be assessed for long term success. I would try this conservative option to allow the region to repair itself/fibrose before considering surgery. Even if there is a complication from surgery they could repair or fuse the 1st MTPJ as one of the worst case scenarios. This might pose a problem if you're very athletic, but otherwise you would have normal functioning (but wouldn't be able to have motion at the 1st MTPJ with this complication).

Again, conservative treatment is the best treatment for this [hypothetical] case. Xrays are important, but they will not rule out AVN, though the general rule is to see if symptoms subside after offloading for a couple of weeks(based on clinical history). You can always attempt surgery after exhausting the conservative options.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

After 6 years of sesamoiditis, I've managed to completely heal them via daily cycling on a stationary bike. The trick is to find shoes that won't cause re-injury (I have found that the Birkenstock Arizona sandal works perfectly for this.)

I believe this works by pumping blood into the toe and realigning the leg.

Give it a try!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ow my foot hurts

When I was 15 I started to develop pain in the ball of my left foot. It took almost a year for me to see a Dr for it. When I finally did the Dr told me I didnt have enough padding on the ball of my foot and he gave me a steroid injection and sent me on my way. He told me to return every 6 month's for another injection. The initial injection seemed to work for a while not to mention hurt like crazy so I didn't go back. After a year or two on it started hurting again sometimes more intense then others. I didn't even have to be standing for the ball of my foot to start aching. I just dealt with it for years and complained occasionally, well my girlfriend got tired of me complaining and made me see a Dr. I'm 23 now and finally went back yesterday. The Dr said I had cracked one of my sesamoids and was developing arthritis in it and that's what was causing the pain. She immediately recommended surgery to remove the sesamoid bone. I guess I'm just asking for opinions I've tried shoe inserts with no results. Im interested into the coconut oil I'll look into that. I work full time and I'm a full time student I can't really afford to be off my feet and I m not a fan of hospitals so I'd like to avoid surgeryIf possible. I got another injection in my foot yesterday and it hurts to bad to walk today.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Found this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. Broke the medial sesamoid, lots of pain and limping. Went through pain relievers, braces & supports. Had the surgery. Minimal relief and then things got worse with foot jamming at the toe when I walked leading to much more pain and limping. Got a second surgery taking out the other sesamoid and shortening the toe. Fast forward 30 years and I am glad to have gone through the surgery. As long as I have good fitting shoes, wide at the toe and very little heel, I have minimal problems. Hope to find something on this site on possible accessories to help with the discomfort I have now and then. Thanks.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I hope everybody here has found relief from their sesamoiditis conditions. I have dealt with that injury (I am a dancer) and can empathize with the lack of treatments offered other than surgery.

I and my fellow dancers have had success with a Rolfer who has developed a protocol for care of our feet. The sesamoids, especially it seems if you have a bipartite sesamoid, can get out of alignment. He is able to work things back in to alignment, which in conjunction with rest/prevention keeps us in good (but careful) dancing order. He's even done wonders to arrest the development and correct the alignment of my big toes (bunions).

I normally am not one who would post anything that could be construed as medical advice, and I don't want anybody to think of this post as such. However, because I know that there is little information on alternatives to surgery I thought I would mention Rolfing as something that could be considered before something as invasive as surgery.

If it's something you do consider, be sure to find a certified Rolfer who has a lot of experience working with feet. Mine works with a lot of dancers and athletes and has plenty of experience of working with foot injuries and fixing the compensatory patterns that develop.

Again, this is not medical advice and one should seek treatment under the care of and by medical professionals.

Best of luck to everybody out there looking for answers.

11. I am fifteen years old and have been in your shoes, so to speak. I have bipartite sesamoids in both feet, and have been diagnosed with chronic sesamoiditis. I have been to a chiropractor, a podiatrist, my pediatrician, two orthopedic surgeons, a physical therapist, and a foot and ankle surgeon. I have gone through multiple pairs of shoes and orthodics, stretching routines, yoga, exercise, was in a wheelchair, and have stopped playing sports for the most part. The foot and ankle surgeon told me that I should not have surgery, saying that I may or may not have a fracture. The pictures he had were hard to read because of the swelling, and the particular sesamoid that looked bad was not the one that hurt. My great toe joint was not formed right when I was born, and does not drop down like it should. He said to rest and go to physical therapy and to go back and see him next month. Two possibilities are achilles tendon lenghthening and metatarsal repair. I understand that many people have it much worse than me, but I would love to return to competitive athletics. Please help.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had bunion surgery one year ago (January 2012), but my foot never returned to normal. I have now consulted with four podiatrists (3 at Kaiser and 1 outside Kaiser). I've had x-rays and an MRI showing severe inflammation of the sesmoids or sesamoiditis. They aren't sure if the trauma of the surgery caused the inflammation, or if the surgery changed the configuation of how I walk on my foot, irritating the sesamoids. The Kaiser docs put me in a cam boot for 3 weeks, along with anti-inflammatory drugs, which did nothing. They now want me in a cast and on crutches for 2 months, which would mean no work. This has only a 33% chance of working. They have offered 3 different surgical options, each of which would cause further problems. Their best solution is that they want to fuse my big toe joint, where the sesamoids are. One podiatrist said to go straight to the fusing. The doctor outside of Kaiser said to do cortizone shots, along with my orthotic, in hopes of getting the inflammation down. The Kaiser docs said that cortizone should only be used as a last resort, as there is very little blood flow to the sesamoids. I don't know what to do with so much conflicting information, and none of the doctors being sure how to deal with the problem or what is causing it!!! I'm now considering seeing a 5th doctor (outside Kaiser) to get one more opinion. Excuse my language, but I feel like I'm screwed no matter what I do. If it is from the way I now walk on my foot, I could spend months in a cast and be right back where I started as soon as I start walking on it again. Does anyone have any good experience from trying the cortizone?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I do all these things for other reasons lol AND I also have big toe flexor injury, fragmented sesamoids and an undiagnosed pain in my 2nd metatarsal for last 3 years...

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was diagnosed with a broken seasmoid bone in 2004 after playing soccer one morning during PT (Physical Training) while on Active Duty. *I was in the Army. I wore the boot for I think 8 weeks. Then physical therapy. I repeatedly told the docs that something wasn't right, that I was still hurting, after I was supposed to have been healed up. Nothing was done and nothing helped. After coming off Active Duty and joining the reserves I finally got insurance and was able to see a civilian orthosurgeon. It turns out that my fibular seasmoid had continually broken and rebroken until it finally shattered. I had surgery, but the surgeon did not remove all the pieces of bone. I continued hurting. I just recently saw the docs at a VA facility and had surgery on 1 Mar 2013. They removed the bone fragments and once they got in there, they also found that I had a FHL tendon rupture. They repaired the tendon. I had my stitches out on the 19th, and later that evening, my incision site reopened. Went back to doc and they added more steri-strips. Today is 24 days after my surgery. I am still non weight bearing as we are having to let the site heal from the inside-out. The scar tissue from the prior surgery made it to where the skin is weak in that area. It will take me a while longer to heal. I am still having pain in my foot along the side, the surgical area and have a very limited range of motion in my great toe, as well as pain in it. I have walked on the side of my foot for many years now. I hope that once my body has more time to heal, that the pain will subside.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I've had I've had Sesamoiditis for over 9 years

Happily the Sesamoiditis is disappearing now that I started rowing (on an indoor rowing machine).

Rowing machines are absolute feet-fixers.

16. Unknown

Unknown Guest

17. Chelsea

Chelsea Guest

18. Chelsea

Chelsea Guest

Would you mind sharing what you did to baby your feet for the six months? I can't seem to find your other post. Thanks ! Would love to hear how you got to feeling better, striving for the same here :)

19. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Try crossfit shoes! Hope this may help some of you athletes with bipartite sesamoiditis. I've had it for about 8 years, only founding out after a soccer game where the ball of my foot became insanely inflamed and painful. My pain comes and goes but (until about a week ago) I've had a long painfree run.

What works for me is wearing crossfit shoes (like the reebok nano 4.0). These shoes have wide toeboxes and are relatively stiff soled. They also have very little heel (a low heel drop, like 4 milimeters). Flexible soled shoes like most running shoes put me in pain. Current models of crossfit shoes are having very little cushioning which stinks but could be remedied with an aftermarket insole.
    When I do flare up, often a little ice and wearing toe spreaders in the evening for a few days seems to help.

I've actually been playing street hockey on hard cement, sometimes for several hours at a time with no pain!
    A true bummer though and why I'm researching now is that last week I had a bad flare up. I was doing some light easy hiking (nature walking up some rocks) in a lightweight hiking shoe. In like an hour my ball of foot was back in pain and it's been nagging me all week-frustrating. Haven't had time to do the toe spreaders but I hope for recovery.
    Best of luck to us all.

20. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Guest

Hey. I was wondering how you went with your sesamoiditis? Did you end up having them removed? I'm also from perth and have had the condition for 6 months now. I saw a orthopedic foot surgeon who have me a steroid injection and put me in a boot for 6 weeks with no improvement. That was after trying the insoles, nsaids, icing, massage, new shoes and just about everything else.
    I was thinking about trying a different, softer insole but I don't know who to trust with my treatment anymore. Any advise?