1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Soft Soles

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by xdj, Dec 24, 2009.

1. xdj

xdj New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am 73 years old and very healthy. For the past 4 or 5 years the soles of my feet have become very soft and spongy. This causes some serious problems with balance in some situations.

When I touch or rub the soles of my feet they do not feel particularly swollen or soft. It is more like the layers of skinunder the outer skin oare soft and allow shifting.

My feet do not hurt and I have what i think is normal feeling in them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You may be referring to plantar fat pad atrophy, which commonly affects many folks as they reach advanced age, but can also be seen in younger patients as the result of certain conditions and diseases. Efforts at replacing the fat pad have been for the most part failures and the use of cushioned padding is probably the only accommodating treatment. But I am only guessing as to a possibler diagnosis and you need to have a hands-on evaluation. Alternatively, it may be a neuropathy giving you the sensation consistent with your complaint but not actually a physically reality.

3. xdj

xdj New Member

Well THAT didn't make much sense!

Did you read my message at all? My "fat pad" if that is what it is is certainly NOT atrophied. It appears that it is either too fat or too soft to allow stable footing.

Is this just a place for commercial rip-off's or is there anyone here that can offer any SENSIBLE advice?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I think the fat went to your brain, or at least what you've been using for one. Go somewhere else and PAY for the privilege of being stupid and obnoxious and not being called on it.

5. xdj

xdj New Member

If getting an initial reply that was totally off the topic I requested help for and then my mentioning that it was useless was obnoxious then I am guilty.

All I am looking for is some focused direct help with this problem which is bothering me.

If you can't help then just say so...

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Yes indeed . . . when someone offers a polite, good-intentioned and free/no obligation response to your question, complaining about it in the manner in which you had done DOES makes you guilt of being both stupid and obnoxious. So what part of "go somewhere else" did you not understand?

7. bbbbobber

bbbbobber New Member

Background: 68-year-old man, just retired. Months ago had some numbness in my right foot when I went to bed so, after much research, concluded I had Morton's Neuroma. Big toe is shorter than 2nd toe. So I've used the toe spreaders from time to time and nothing much changed. Didn't see a Doc. Then looked at the possibility of being a bad walker and thought I might supinate while walking. So recently, on my daily walks, I concentrate on landing on the ball of my foot rather than the outside edge and lo and behold the numbness is not occurring any more.
    Instead, the bottom of my foot feels spongy on hard surfaces, tile, bathtub, etc. and probably is from swelling. Feels like 4th metatarsal may be swollen. Am taking antioxidants but no specific anti-inflamatories. Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. bbbbobber

bbbbobber New Member

Sorry - omitted note about also changed to all Dr. Scholls shoes immediately and I think that helped some.