1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Cheilectomy Recovery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by JPworcester, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jbk51691

jbk51691 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Also, wanted to mention from my previous reply, that I am a 49 female runner that will be turning 50 in a few weeks. I have been running since I have been 10 yrs old and seriously think my recovery has been better than most because of my fitness level. If you expect to be back to normal after a few weeks then dont do the surgery. If you are looking for long term recovery then do it and follow the recovery process to a T. For people to say not to get the surgery after only being 2wks Post Op is so wrong. I am going on Week 8 post op and I am starting to see the light in the tunnel now. I couldnt say that at Wk 3 or 4. This is major toe surgery and your toes are very important to walking and bearing all your weight. You have to expect to have some recovery time for it. Be patient people and follow the recovery process. I can definitely see myself running at 12 weeks post op. for those of you that arent runners and thus not pounding on your joints you will see yourself out and about alot sooner.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Bilateral cheilectomy done on Monday 10/17. Rest, ice, elevation & pain Meds for 3-4 days. Able to walk in the Velcro shoes around the house without crutches by Saturday.
    Surgical dressing removed one week later and cleared to drive. Able to ride exercise bike & elliptical trainer at 10 days post- op. Still icing, elevation & ibuprofen at night to decrease swelling and pain.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have had two of these procedures on my right big toe and will be having a 3rd in January. I recall the 1st one as being quite painful for the first 3-4 days. With the 2nd surgery, I had a different podiatrist who was too conservative in the surgery. Almost no recovery pain, but less than 2 years later my toe was stiff again--he didn't really do a good job, so there IS a big difference in the surgeon you pick. SO I'm returning to the 1st podiatrist as he was very good. Unfortunately the bone spur keeps returning, but it was more than 10 years before my toe began hurting after the 1st procedure. I would definitely recommend this surgery if you are having the kind of discomfort that I am having. Orthotics are a must--you don't need the expensive ones that the doctor fits you for. I bought a $20 pair at Bed, Bath & Beyond and they feel and fit wonderfully! (I actually bought 3 pair).

4. Diane

Diane Guest

Hi- I am a 41 yo/f, who works for a very busy municipal fire dept, I have suffered
    With this pain for years till It became Unbearable to my right foot. I had a bone spur, a floating piece of bone in my joint, And arthritis in the joint. I had surgery done to Remove the spur, the piece of bone, and to clean joint out on 11/8. They gave me a "nerve block" before surgery, Which I was so grateful for, I didn't Feel anything but nausea due to anesthesia for the first 24 hrs., then the pain came, medication Helped... Had episodes of anytime i was getting up, beoming pale and diaphoretic , feeling like i was gonna pass out for days 2 to 5, dr said normal for the blood loss. Day 7 and pain is "annoying". Taking xtra strength Tylenol only now, still in bed though.. With ice and elevation, using crutches as Needed to get to bathroom, but unable To bear any weight on foot either with/without Shoe boot.. my post op appt. isn't Until 11/21, depression and boredom Is the worst part so far, i'm used to doing Strenuous work and vigorous activity...
    but will keep you posted on my progress... Hoping to be back to work soon.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Seeing that you are "registered", does that make you more qualified to answer? My orthopedic surgeon is advising some "dyna-step" or some such item as part of my physical therapy. Anybody heard of that and can offer a second opinion in favor or opposed? I know absolutely nothing about it.

6. JADDO

JADDO Guest

Had cheilectomy right foot November 16. Pain has been basically minimal since procedure. Prescribed oxycodone, only taken two tablets. Otherwise using ibuprofen and Tylenol as needed. Was up and around walking with open shoe post op day 2 and driving. Now just basically ice, elevation and compression to decrease swelling. Still uncomfortable walking, but not even a week out, so to be expected. Will keep you all posted.

7. Diane

Diane Guest

Well i had my post op today as i previously posted and am very upset. Advised dr that I couldn't bear weight on my foot, his nurse came in and took the staples out, applied steri-strips, advised me that they will fall off in 10 days. dr came back in and looked at foot, wiggled my toe, which was extremely painful, advised me to massage my foot, keep wiggling my toe, ditch the crutches and walk on my foot with shoe boot, told me it will be painful, but in order for it to get better, it was gonna be painful.... Go at my own pace. Then the nurse came back in and gave me a note to go back to work dec 5th, no restrictions.... No physical therapy... No check-up prior to this... When I questioned this, she replied, "construction workers" are back to work by now! With that she left the room..... My husband is upset about this as I also am. How insensitive! I am
    Not trying to stay out of work, I have no problem going back on dec 5th as long as my foot is able to function properly to be able to do my job! I will be trying to walk on it and hope I never have to go back to Rothman again.....

8. Jaddo

Jaddo Guest

Hi Diane,

Hang in there. I changed my post op dressing yesterday and was horrified, swelling, serous fluid oozing out of incision secondary to edema. Was good boy yesterday, put compressive dressing on, iced, elevated all afternoon and evening. Played on my iPad, watched tv, etc.

Changed dressing today, swelling edema about 75% improved. Going to try and take it easy. Still uncomfortable, but orthopod who did surgery, and father, retired pod said it may be a year long recovery.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am looking for anyone who had a cheilectomy and it didn't go well and maybe did it a second time.
    I am 41 and very active - I am a runner and cross country coach. I decided to do this surgery as it was getting worse and worse. I was changing my gait so much that with daily running my hips were getting so sore I'd feel pain just rolling over at night. I had no hesitations as I am very healthy and have never had any issues with other surgical procedures.
    My surgery was January 7th 2011 (over 10 months ago). All went well but my foot is worse now than before. I don't have good toes to begin with - they both have always had very limited movement (my sisters do too but mine is the worse). Now I have some sharp shooting pain at times. When I am running regularly the pain lasts days on or off my feet. I am headed back to see my doctor this week about what is next.
    The issue is less flexibility than before. The doctor didn't recommend PT but I went in after a month from the procedure as I wasn't getting any movement. I guess I know now that I scar bad. I did all my exercises as told, wore the boot, etc. I am a bit upset as he didn't bandage it with a spacer between the big toe and next toe and now my big toe angles towards the right (it's my left foot) and I am getting a bump on the outside of my foot now by the joint he cleaned up. During the procedure he said the bone spur was worse than shown on the xrays and he did small holes in the joints to help with cartilage recovery and growth (the cause of the spurs).
    I am looking at another surgery to help as I can't image it being any worse. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you:) i hope you are doing well. It's been 3 weeks since my surgery... I am walking
    With shoe boot- or rather limping on heel and side of foot! no more crutches!! The steri strips fell off today, Incision looks good, scabbing over- no puss. Still can't move my big toe and unable to flex the rest of my toes like normal. Big toe is still swollen, tingly to touch, and bruising that takes up 1/2 of my foot, unable to get regular shoe on it yet No pain, unless I try to bear weight on my toe. Ankle is a little sore due to shifting weight onto that. Not able to drive yet. I have an appt with my family dr tomorrow to see what she thinks.. Will keep you posted.

QUOTE=Jaddo;95612]Hi Diane,

Hang in there. I changed my post op dressing yesterday and was horrified, swelling, serous fluid oozing out of incision secondary to edema. Was good boy yesterday, put compressive dressing on, iced, elevated all afternoon and evening. Played on my iPad, watched tv, etc.

Changed dressing today, swelling edema about 75% improved. Going to try and take it easy. Still uncomfortable, but orthopod who did surgery, and father, retired pod said it may be a year long recovery.[/QUOTE]

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Diane,

Sounds like you are doing better. Just over 2 weeks out, had sutures removed, and back to work last Monday. Wearing open soft shoe, cannot bear thought of trying to get paw into regular shoe yet. Walking OK, but sore with pressure on great toe. Have PT scheduled in couple weeks, motion in joint pretty limited now, but I guess that is to be expected. Will keep you posted.

Father, retired podiastrist, cut up old gym shoe, opening area above joint and around metatarsal area to give more room. Can get foot into this carefully. Next week, going to try and transition into this shoe next week.

Have a great weekend

12. Diane

Diane Guest

It's a little over 5 weeks since my surgery, I've gone to my family doctor as I previously posted. My dr could not believe that my surgeon allowed me to go back to work so soon and that no further follow up was needed. My dr telephoned the surgeon and got to speak to his RN who proceeded to tell her "construction workers are back to work 2 weeks after surgery". I am glad dr Bralow is a patient advocate, having words with this RN, advising her that I couldn't even get a regular shoe on, let alone a work boot! Etc... Needless to say, dr Bralow sent me to physical therapy. I have done a little over a week of p.t. with a therapist. I am definitely improving, my big toe also angles to the right as someone else posted. I was still wearing shoe boot until yesterday, where I actually wore a sneaker with loosened laces for 1 hour. I am still having pain and difficulty bearing the full weight on big toe side. Most of the swelling is gone, scabbing fell off, except for one small area that is still healing. My big toe and joint area is still feels stiff, but i can finally flex toe 1/2 way! Instead of no flexion at all. I really think p.t. Is very important, the therapist can maneuver my toe better than me having doing it myself. It is easier for him to inflict the pain during movements, I wouldn't be able to do that by myself! I will be attempting to wear sneakers on and off over this weekend,
    one hour on, one hour off, two hours on, one hour off, etc... Hopefully will be able to get myself back into wearing them full time. I am very grateful for my family dr, who stuck up for me and agreed that I needed p.t., I am very healthy, active, and energetic and this surgery really knocked me down, I feel like I'm improving and will work to get back to my
    normal routines. I'll continue to write my progress.

13. Diane

Diane Guest

That's a great idea that your father gave you with the old tennis shoe! Let me know if you can transition into a regular shoe.. I scheduled myself to go back to work on dec 14th, so I have to work hard to be able to get a work boot and fire boot on! I hope you are doing well and I'm glad your going to p.t.- keep me posted

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Diane,

Glad to see that you are doing better and getting your foot into a sneaker.

You are not alone, I think that a cheilectomy is a tough procedure to recover from for any patient, but especially hard for someone that is active like yourself and I. Can't imagine your doc tried to send you back to work in two weeks with your job. I went back on post op day 11, which was clearly way to early. Also, I don't have to wear a work boot to work for my job either.

Last Saturday, did find a pair of Merrill clogs at Von Maurs I could slip my foot into. Got a size larger than I needed, but needed the extra room. Actually worked all week in them last week without to much discomfort, unless busy day and on my feet a lot. Still do not have courage to attempt regular shoe of loafer yet.

Am getting some plantar flexing and dorsiflexion back in toe, but still pretty sore with actively moving joint. See PT on Tuesday for first time. Trying to keep moving it occasionally when sitting, watching tv.

Anyway, hang in there Diane. Sounds like we are both moving forward, going thru the same frustrations, ever so slowly. Purposely had my surgery early in winter, so hopefully by spring be ready for golf and biking again.

Will keep you posted on what PT says.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Had cheilectomy and subchronral drilling on Nov. 18. Incision is all healed but I can't bend my toe down. When I bend it up there is pain. Sometimes when I walk barefoot I will feel a snap. I did attempt a losely tied tennis shoe for a couple hours and did well in it. Can't slip my foot into any of my regular shoes yet. Flexing my toe by hand is difficult so I try seeing how far I can stand on my tip-toes. I am supposed to get the other toe done on Dec. 29 and so far I am worried about it. I still have some swelling but I was hoping that I would be more mobile before getting the other one done. Also, at my last doctor visit he said I was doing good but it could take months or up to a year before this is completely good to go and that I shouldn't have anymore problems with it. But according so some things I have read the chance of recurrance is pretty good. Very confusing! It is only 3 weeks out so I guess I have to be patient.

16. Diane

Diane Guest

I actually got my foot into a work boot yesterday! Some pain putting foot in it and when removing it, but walked all day in it with little discomfort. Had a hard time getting fire boot on, but the guys at my firehouse got me a size and a half bigger, wide fire boot so I have an easier time getting my foot into and I can actually walk in it without difficulty. I am back to work tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it. I'm still going to p.t., I feel that I have improved so much with them, plus the dry whirlpool feels really good on
    My foot! Lol. I still have a scab on the top that didn't heal fully, My therapist had me stand on these air cushions and put pressure on my right foot, hurt like heck, but got more movement in my toe, so I've been practicing at home, leaning on counter, lifting left foot and going forward on my right, toe isn't so tight. I still don't have total flexion of toe, but alot better than it was! I'm getting back to normal. The day to run on it may come sooner than I want though. I'm glad you are progressing too, I really want to hear how your p.t. goes. Take care and I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your support, it matters!

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi Diane,

Sounds like you are doing a bit better...... Great! I am slowly coming along. It has been just over 4 weeks, but think my progress will be measured in weeks, not days.

Had my first physical therapy last tuesday. He basically did range of motion then heated ultrasound, then more range of motion. Go back again next Wednesday for more. Seems like it did help, so going to stick with it. He wants me to basically go through flexing and extension exercises, and moving toe medial and lateral also.

Actually went out for dinner last night and got my foot into my Allen Edmond loafers. (nice to wear something besides clogs and sneakers) Was out a couple of hours and foot a little sore afterwards, but I i guess it is progress. Toe does still hurt with each step, still worse than befor surgery, but hopefully this will improve.

Anyway have a great weekend Diane and keep doing your toe exercises even though it hurts.

Dave

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm a 60 y/o female who had cheilectomy on right big toe on 1/3/12 to remove bone spurs and spurs that had broken off and were free floating in joint. Some spurs were not visible on initial xray and apparently another xray/ultrasound (not sure which) was taken during the surgery to locate any others that were hiding. I was given a nerve block which lasted through the evening of surgery and part of the next day. On the evening of 1/4 when nerve block had worn off I had severe, throbbing pain. Ice packs didn't seem to help because the cold could not penetrate the boot and bandages. Pain meds didn't seem to phase it either. Kept foot elevated to try to help reduce the swelling. By the evening of 1/5 the pain had subsided somewhat but not enough to stop taking pain meds. On 1/6 swelling was MUCH better and I didn't feel the need to continue with pain meds but instead got by on 800mg Ibuprophen. Felt good enough on 1/7 to take a shower and took an ibuprophen afterwards because it took a while and was tired afterwards. My physician does not want any weight bearing at all on my right foot for two weeks...and was told to not remove boot or compression bandages until I see him on the 18th. Am using crutches and getting around fairly well...except for the stairs...having to sit on my butt and scoot up or down. Don't see how anyone could have both feet done at the same time....seems you would be virtually bed ridden and don't see how anyone could go back to work in just a few days. Fortunately I'm glad I have my husband to help me get around. I would think if someone lived alone they might have some issues. Anyway, so far, except for the 2nd and 3rd day, my recovery is coming along. Hopefully, I will continue to improve. So for now I'll be keeping my foot elevated and rest as much as possible. I'll be interested what the dr. says after my first visit with him on the 18th.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It's still nice to hear other people's experiences though. Makes you feel a little more prepared for what to possibably expect.

20. Uncle_Dim

Uncle_Dim New Member

My experience,

I had the surgery done Dec. 27, 2011. I am just short of being 4 weeks post op. I was instructed to stay of the foot for 3-5 days and keep it elevated and iced. The icing was 20 min on and 20 min off. I was given a pain pump that came out 3 days post op. I was also given some prescription pain meds for whenever I needed. I didn't remove the dressing for 5 days. I looked so much better than I ever expected. At the 1 week follow up the doc told me move the toe as much as possible but not to over do it because the incision still needed time to heal. At 2 weeks they trimmed the ends of the dissolving stitches and told me I had no restrictions. 4 days later I put 3 miles on the treadmill. I felt good but it was way too early. I design and prosthetic feet so I'll some technical terms. Once I was able to put on my shoes at 2.5 weeks I noticed I had less pain walking barefoot. Most shoes have a heel that higher than the forefoot. This causes plantar flexion(toe pointing down). This in turn makes the big toe dorsiflex(Point up). I found some shoes that have zero heel rise with a large toe box and I have to say I am so much more comfortable. The other thing that I have been doing is stretching as much as possible when sitting at my desk at work and in the evening before bed. There is also a way to lace shoes that takes the pressure off of the area of surgery. It can be found found on Altra dot com. Those are also the shoes I found but I'm there are many others out there.