1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

wet sensation bottom left foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by sondrella, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Nav

Nav Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This wet sensation just started literally 15 minutes ago. I cannot explain this. I first checked the bottom of my foot to see what was going on, then I asked my wife to touch my feet to see if they are cold and she said not, then I walked along the carpet and also found not wet spots. I find this extremely weird. I am not on any meds, but take a multi vitamin and Vit C supplements regularly. I work out 5 days / week. I know the Foot Doc has already recommended some causes but I choose to post here in the event that someone has found anything out. I am going to get up now and test it again. Please share any findings / experiences. Thanks.

2. Linda

Linda Guest

My husband has a constant cold, wet sensation (not actual, just a feeling) involving the entire foot area in both feet. It's necessary to rule out diabetes and circulation problems; and also have a nerve conduction test. Long story short - A very qualified neurosurgeon said that it is the sympathetic nerve ( husband has a slipped spinal disk; with no pain from that, but other symptoms). Surgery is performed on the hands with similar symptoms which is successful. However, surgery involving the feet is only a 50 percent success rate. Hope that helps some until you consult with your doctor; it's always better to mention to the doc to rule out any other serious problems.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello there....Foot Doc, not to insult your intelagence in the least, but I strongly disagree with what you have just mentioned, and definetly question your intalect. If all these people are expeiencing close to the same symptoms (I am as well) the wet sensation that is, then there clearly is a problem. Moreover I am quite sure all of these indivisuals would no if they were stepping in water! With the numbers of indivisuals experiencing this sensation increasing everyday I strongly suggest a deeper study should be conducted!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

My apologies for being so tardy in getting back to you, but frankly, I no longer regularly read comments posted to this thread, as I think that I have said all that I wish to about it in my response with which you seem to take issue and which I reproduce below:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Look folks. There are only three situation which I can come up with which could account for feeling one's feet to be wet:
    1. The feet ARE wet
    2. A neuropathy is causing it (most likely cause)
    3. The sensation is hysterical.

So, the corresponding recommendations would be:
    1. Stop stepping in water, or find the cause of the wetness or get a towel
    2. See a neurologist.
    3. See a head doctor.

But posting to say, "me to" will get you nothing but sympathy.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excuse me as I cannot resist FIRST dwelling on a point of irony. I grant you that the ability to spell correctly is not a definitive measure of either intelligence or intellect, but when one makes a point of doubting someone's intellect and in so stating misspells "intellect" as "intalect," "intelligence" as "intelagence," "definitely" as "definetly," "experiencing" as "expeiencing," "individuals" as "indivisuals" and "know" as "no," such an assertion is indeed a WORKING DEFINITION of irony. I'm not going to get into a discussion of the significance or lack thereof of incorrectly spelling a word or two, but clearly, this example is beyond the pail.

But now that I have gotten THAT out of the way, I did not suggest that the ONLY cause of this problem would be actually stepping in water, although, it certainly could be one. In fact, I stated that the most likely cause would be some sort of neuropathy or sensory malfunction, and indeed, that, without doubt, is the cause of this problem in most if not all of these cases. So, what WAS your point??

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So sorry, I must have hit a soft spot if you felt the desire to correct my grammer. I see the irony.... as I am questioning your intellect I have made a few spelling mistakes myself, so that would in turn would make you question my intellect! I am quite sure that I am not as educated as you, so SORRY again for the mistakes.

Now that I have THAT out of the way, I had wrote my last message not to make a point only to make a statement! I"ll give you a bit of honesty, I was offended when you stated that there was the possibility of our feet actually being wet, because I am sure anybody in there right mind would know if they were actually stepping in water! futher more, found it very rude coming from a DOCTOR that you think by people writing "me too" were looking for sympathy, pretty sure the only thing people on this site are looking for are anwsers, not SYMPATHY! To finish this message I end with, If you have stated the most likely cause to this problem is WITHOUT DOUBT a sensory malfunction or neuropathy in most of these cases then why did you feel the need to post that are feet may actually be wet or we should see a head doctor???

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

No, you did not hit a soft spot. I think that I made it entirely clear that I thought it appropriate to comment on your spelling ONLY because of the irony implicit in your having complained about my intellect, while misspelling much of your complaint. But you see, when someone does just that, one leaves him/herself open to such comments, much in the way in which when someone complains about having been criticized for what you termed "grammar" and in so doing misspells "grammar" as "grammer." as have you here, not to mention having misspelled, "further" as "futher" and "answers" as "answers" this time, you're really twisting my arm beyond reason, so PLUEEEZE stop. Again, as everyone misspells, albeit not to the extent the which YOU have, I do no wish to make this a rant or commentary on spelling, but the point to be made is that within the context of your comment, misspelling, I believe, is a valid point for criticism BECAUSE of the I R O N Y exhibited.

But, alas . . I'm only toying with you to this point. So let's move on to your more direct criticism of my post. First, in regard to someone knowing whether or not he/she is standing in water, being "OFFENDED" by my suggestion that this be considered, much less complaining of it, obviously demonstrates not only how unbelievably easily you are offended, but also both your lack of humor as well as your appreciation for the necessity of pragmatism in diagnosis, as in the dictum . . "always first consider the obvious" . . . an essential and often overlooked key to any diagnostic process. You have absolutely no idea how often a correct diagnosis is ignored simply because it is so in-your-face obvious. But, granted . . that is not the most likely possibility, and whether I used capital letters as you would have preferred to shout "WITHOUT DOUBT" about the most likely possibility or simply offered, as did I, "A neuopathy causing it (most likely cause)" is rather irrelevant, and I opine trivial nit-picking. Had you not gotten the idea either way, I feel rather sorry for you. Finally, terming it "rude" to suggest that there is some other reason for one to chime in with only a "me too" in a forum where answers, not commiseration, are ostensibly the purpose. I think it quite obvious that some whose entire addition to the discussion is that he/she also suffers the problem can be looking for nothing else other than adding his/her name to the list of victims. Whether or not you might term that companionship in a common fate or a reaching out for or offering of the knowledge that one is not alone, either to grant or receive sympathy from the group is neither here nor there, but certainly to comment upon such is not rude.

Finally, in respect to my summary of possibilities in an attempt to answer the general question then at hand, I stand firmly behind it, and I have yet to hear anything here to materially challenge it, either from you or from others.

(GOD . . I hope I haven't misspelled anything!)

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

While you have made many valid points and I respect that, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree! for the record there were one or two spelling mistakes/missing letters. bye for ever!

8. DRSLOAN

DRSLOAN New Member

I also have this sensation that my left foot is wet and it also feels cold
    the entire bottom of the foot and my toes and maybe as much as a inch up from the sole of my foot has this sensation. I do not notice this sensation in the early morning but as the day progresses by noon the foot is engulfed with this sensation.
    I have had extensive surgeries to my left knee and also a knee flap done using one have of my calve muscle 6 months ago but these sensations just began 3 or 4 days ago. Any ideas?

9. Anna

Anna Guest

The reason has nothing to do with your feet, and everything to do with your BACK. This is almost definitely a result of a "slipped", "bulging" or broken disc in your lower back. The disc is resting on or pushing on certain nerves which end up giving you the odd sensation of cold wet feet (or foot, or part of foot).

Exercise/physical therapy should fix the problem. 2 good exercises are: 1) lying on your stomach, flat and pushing up with your arms to arch your back "backwards", 10 times, 10 secs a time (like a seal). Every two hours for a day or two. Combine this with:
    2) "stretching" your spine: to do this, lie in the middle of a doorway, on your back. Use a broom or other long "stick" across the doorway. Push gently against the stick with your arms, letting your bottom half "heavy" on the floor, focusing on "stretching" your top half away from your bottom -- effectively "stretching" your spine. Do this for 10-20 seconds at a time, (or longer) with a number of repetitions over the day.

You should feel better in a couple of days.

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

To suggest that such might be a POSSIBLE cause might fly, but to offer such a definitive diagnosis, replete with authoritative-sounding treatment is irresponsible and is why non-professionals, most of whom have had but one experience with symptoms which may or may not be identical to those of a poster should be far more careful in what they post and recommend, as there are occasions when incorrect treatment, especially in regard to spinal problems, can be harmful. Assuredly, no one would take the advice of even a doctor whom they knew to have had but one experience with a particular condition.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear Foot "Doctor" --

You're wrong, and you're unhelpful. I can almost guarantee I have MUCH more medical experience, education and training than you. While you may be helpful to individuals dealing with other issues regarding their feet, this whole thread has been shameful in your belittling responses. Neither of my suggestions for exercises are difficult or harmful. I HAVE come across this issue many times before -- it is very similar to a feeling of "numbness" which some people experience.

Of COURSE individuals should see their own doctor, but I also know that disc problems are very very likely the cause of this sensation.

Why does this suggestion offend you? Because you didn't mention it yourself?

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

First of all, many months ago I posted the following to this thread:
    Look folks. There are only three situation which I can come up with which could account for feeling one's feet to be wet:
    1. The feet ARE wet
    2. A neuropathy is causing it (most likely cause)
    3. The sensation is hysterical.

So the myth and "guarantee" of your having MUCH more medical experience, education and training than I is categorically busted by your apparent lack of knowledge and understanding that pressure on a nerve root by a slipped or bulging verterbral disc is but one possible etiology of a neuropathy, though such pressure at that level would be far more likely to produce pain or numbness or even motor abnormalities such a paresis rather than a specific phantom sensation such as wetness. But your gross error was your total lack of responsibility by offering your opinion devoid of equivocation, claiming "The reason has nothing to do with your feet, and everything to do with your BACK." Anyone with any REAL medical experience, education and training, much less common sense, would have known that a statement of such certainty as that, especially without an examination and testing, wreaks of irresponsibility and in your case, hubris . . . and THAT is what offended me about your post.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Wow! This thread is overdone. If you have a way to lock it (close the topic) then no more replies could be posted. Better still, would be to delete the whole thing.

14. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I fully agree and have previously said as much. Threads that go on this long are invariably useless, as they are almost exclusively visited by "me-toos" and general answers such as I gave months ago are never found acceptable to those who find the topic to be more of cult-like interest.

15. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Is the dr creating personnas who post complimentary messages and ask that this thread be closed? Why not just ignore? This is a common problem.
    Sometimes health is mental? What's that all about Angie/dr?

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also found this thread when searching for an answer to the cold, wet feeling on the bottom of my feet (particularly the right) I have been experiencing on and off for many years, lately for nearly two months daily. I felt it important to chime in, NOT to garner sympathy, but to validate for others that it is indeed a very real, certainly annoying, and--it would appear--mysterious ailment, and to hope that others have found answers.

While I do not view myself as a "victim," I am indeed a sufferer (ok, I'll reserve "sufferer" those who are in pain), make that "endurer" of these symptoms. I am a 57 year old woman who takes no medications (including hormones), and am--to the best of my knowledge--otherwise healthy. I actually am hoping that someone reading this thread has in fact visited a neurologist (or other health care professional) and has found an answer.

While I will explore the possibility of the sensation being connected to back issues, I also like to have more definitive answers, and will probably seek a consultation with a neurologist in the near future.

In the meantime, it was genuinely helpful to discover that I, in fact, am not alone with this problem. (My general practicioner physician had no answers for me either.) For the "comfort in numbers" solace alone, this post is worth keeping.

17. YEEHAWW

YEEHAWW Guest

Oh wow this is weird.. I did a search this morning to figure out what could be causing this sensation and here I am.. looks like I'm not alone. For the last month I've been experiencing the feeling of a cool draft passing through my toes on my right foot. Even when I'm just wearing socks inside the house, and my left foot remains unaffected. I have no idea what's causing it but I don't see an explanation materializing any time soon.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did you find out what it was? I am experiencing the same but in my right foot! Definately feels strange. Kept thinking my shoes had leaked! but no...

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

This thread is hilarious.
    And I too experience the 'cold leaky shoe' feeling on a spot on the sole of my left foot.
    Just thought I'd google the symptom after a month or so of feeling it on and off.

Perhaps I tell you this for sympathy. But probably not.
    More for the intriguing link that someone had mentioned about the lower back.
    I've also recently had a flare up of a lower back problem that I saw a chiropractor for 2 years ago after a boating incident.

I questioned the correlation myself when I first felt noticed my boots weren't ACTUALLY leaking, and just find it interesting that someone else had mentioned it.

I'd be curious to know know how many 'sufferers' of the foot deal also suffer from back pain, or injury?

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The same exact thing has happens to me! I was just walking around and it felt like water got in my right shoe so I checked the sole and it was fine and my foot was completely dry. It's happened randomly for like a week. It's just an unusual sensation, I definitely believe it has to be something neurological. Some nerve is sending the wrong signal to our brains making it feel like the foot is wet...but why...I have no idea. I wonder if some doctor has heard of this before and can say "aha! it sounds like you have this..."